Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powerful Sleeping Tip page 2

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    I have shifted my attitude to try to relax in the middle of the night - "this is just normal biphasic sleep" and that has helped to reduce the fretting about it. I do need to try to get out of bed more often in the middle of the night and see if that helps reset things. I have also thought about cutting out coffee and alcohol - pondered it for a few nanoseconds - and then came back to my senses.
    Wow, that was a really good attempt! Maybe next time you'll give it up...

ruhrpotter is offline Junior Member
    Interesting! But I dont think this will work for me. I never wake up in the night.
    But I'm also not very awake in the morning.

When I wake up before the alarm, I feel great and get out of bed. But this happens maybe every 2 months

I had a time when falling asleep was very hard, but now I fall asleep in about 3 minutes. I think its due to work and a more stressful life (22, started working 3 years ago).

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    I stumbled upon something that is going to make me more productive, healthier, better at getting up earlier, and get me off the computer.
    -I go back to sleep and wake up early!
    When do you go back to sleep, and when do you wake up?

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    When do you go back to sleep, and when do you wake up?
    I just figured this out, and I felt so strongly that I had to share before I made it a habit.

I went to bed at 2200, which is later than I'd like. I got up at 0030 and stayed up until 0200 or so. Then, I slept until about 0915. I'm often up around 0730 if I go to bed around 2000 or 2100, and I have a nice chunk of time in the middle to work with too.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Nice. I may try this, because I always wake up about 2 AM for no apparent reason. Maybe I'm supposed to get up!

Sandman is offline Member
    No one should stay in bed when they are awake and unable to sleep. With that being said, doing stimulating activities or exposing yourself to light will tell your brain that it is no longer time to be drowsy.

I'm not very familiar with biphasic sleep, however I can say that REM cycles become shorter in the last third of a full night's sleep. If sleep is broken into two distinct periods, I'd be curious if the total percentage of time in REM and SWS is sufficient. That last 2-3 hours of the night is magic for abundant REM, resulting in greater learning, memory, mental restoration, and helping to prepare you for a day of decision making and higher-level functioning. (People who clip the last couple hours of sleep often feel far more impaired during the day).

Going to have to learn more about biphasic sleep.
    My blog: Regular Guy Paleo and please feel free to "like" my Facebook page.

nburgraff is offline Member
    Awesome topic, I have never heard of this biphasic sleep. It sounds like it really just comes down to listening to your body. It would also make sense that you are the most productive because your brain is firing in all sorts of fun ways when you are in a sleep cycle so it would almost be as if it is "warmed up".

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i am "working" on my sleep.

having spent decades working nights and 12+ hour days in restaurants, i am currently working from home, at a job that i can "do anytime". previously, most nights i'd get in bed around 2:00 am and would naturally wake up between 7:00-8:00, feeling like utter s**t. a few times per month, i'd allow myself to go back to sleep if i didn't need to be at work, but would wake a few hours later feeling groggy and out-of-sorts.

am making myself get to bed by midnight now most nights and wake between 5:00-7:00 raring to go. i sleep like a log. will try to dial bedtime back further as time progresses and see what happens.

it's only been about 2 weeks of trying to manage my sleep. WOW. what a difference. i know this doesn't really relate to bi-phasic, but i often wonder how weeks/months/years of poor sleep has impacted me?

i also live in a not-so-nice hood so can't imagine wandering the streets at 2:00 am, lol, looking for neighbors.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

paleodutch is online now Senior Member

wiltondeportes Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yup. Let me try to be even more concise with my realization. If you approach biphasic sleep with the idea of sleeping better or more naturally, you're going to probably fail. That's like 10 hours you have to set aside. Who has time for that?

If all you're expecting to do is read during that middle period of awakeness, I think you lose. If you plan that period into your lifestyle by expecting to eat, send out emails, do a little research, and whatever else you need to get done when you get home; I think you win. Because if you do that, it's very easy and natural to go to sleep when the sun goes down. You know you're going to be up in a matter of hours anyways.

If it's a Friday or Saturday and you're going out, try to get at least a 2 hr nap in before you go. When you come home late, you'll crash into bed, but you'll wake up sooner than if you were going on almost 24 hours without sleep.

This biphasic sleeping helps me get stuff done and keeps me on track physically (via sleep), and that's no small task in the modern world.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 03-31-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12