Thread: Talking to a personal trainer in two weeks. How to make the best of it? page

Zackmoses is offline Junior Member

Talking to a personal trainer in two weeks. How to make the best of it?

Primal Fuel
    Hello, I just joined a gym and I get one free consult with a pesonal trainer. I've never dealt with a personal trainer before so I'm not sure what to expect.

I know I want to mention that I've got little in the way of fitness experience and that my goal is to drop 30 lbs and lose my gut and love handles.

Anything else I should bring up?

Do you have any specific ways you would like to train? For example, are you looking to get into lifting? If so, then maybe ask for tips on the things you are interested in. If you haven't done much fitness in the past, then I would suggest asking for information on how to make sure you keep good form when using weights to minimise injury and maximise benefits. Suggestions on how to put together a work out can also be very useful.

I worked with a personal trainer for 18 months (having never ventured away from cardio machines before) and technique plus how to put together my own workout from a huge range of things we did are some of the most valuable things I learned from her. Well, except for hearing about primal!

Sugar is my nicotine...

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    rather than focusing on what you would like to lose, talk to the trainer about what you would like to gain. would you like to be stronger? be able to run a 10k? do 20 straight pull ups?
    a trainer should be able to put forth a much better plan for you if there are some specific physical achievements you want to reach...and you'll naturally lose the weight while going after those and eating well.

Zackmoses is offline Junior Member
    I would like to learn to lift weights which is something I've never been successful at in the past. I want to get stronger. I'm tired of curling 25 lbs.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zackmoses View Post
    I would like to learn to lift weights which is something I've never been successful at in the past. I want to get stronger. I'm tired of curling 25 lbs.
    Any trainer should be able to help you achieve that goal.

Dickson is offline Member
    If you have weight to lose, getting stronger is the perfect way to do it. The best primer (in my opinion) would be an introduction to kettlebells-- so ask if there is anyone familiar with them who could help you out.

Are you prepared to do follow up sessions? Most gyms that offer a free session for signing up do it to sort of get you in to personal training. Just make sure your expectations are clear to them and if the person isn't 100% the right fit (or you don't have the money), don't sign up for more sessions! There is a wealth of great information on the internet, so if you need help with programs or routines you always have a family here on the forums.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    the initial session included with signing up for a gym membership is just a sales device. buy Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition, and follow it to the letter.

bfursvmu is offline Junior Member
    I want to get stronger. I'm tired of curling 25 lbs.