Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antibiotics page

Byakko is offline Senior Member

Antibiotics

Primal Fuel
    I hate making this post because I've already brought it up in my journal but I need more immediate input that hopefully a main thread will get so I apologize.

Here's the deal. My mother came home last week with what I would guess would be the flu (or else a really bad cold) Lots of coughing and aching. She's starting to recover but now my dad, my grandmother and I are coming down with it (I was hoping she was just struggling with sinus issues and therefore wouldn't contaminate everyone else.)

My grandma has this thing with pills. She thinks they're the most awesome things ever and believes you need a pill for the smallest of issues...or that one pill will perform more than one miracle. Plus she is fiercely against generic medication and will go out of her way to pay extra for brand name. (Sometimes I think she's addicted to pain killers)

She's 91 and depends a lot on me for help and company alike. But she can be manipulative and I am trying not to let that happen. Unfortunately because everyone is sick and people want to go to the doctor, she made me come with her today and was prescribed antibiotics. The doctor even made sure there was enough inside to share with me.

I've always hated taking pills, even if it's Motrin for cramps. In fact Motrin is the only medication that I take regularly, once a month and maybe even jus tone dose a month. So I avoided taking the antibiotics until about an hour ago after being scolded about waiting too long to take it. I've got 29 left...

I should say that I really want to be as natural as possible with how I live my life and I rarely get sick like this (maybe once a year or every other year.) The main symptoms I am suffering with ATM is an annoying cough, some lethargy and occasionally maybe an elevated temp and body aches. I've had this for 3 days.

Should I continue taking the pills now that I've taken one or stop it here? I have IBS and after reading about how IBS and antibiotics are linked I got scared. (My grandmother actually thinks the antibiotic will HELP my IBS!) I really do not want more problems! I should not have taken the pill at all but I unfortunately am a bit of a hypochondriac because of my IBS and worry about every little ailment turning out of control. No, I'm not paleo at the moment but I am striving to be as clean as I can (within affordability).

Any advice?
    F|26yr|5'3"
    1st Start: 8.25.12
    SW: 151 CW: 147 GW: -150
    HW: 195

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Are you sure he prescribed antibiotics for a cold or flu? Maybe your grandma has some other problem that must be protected by antibiotics from a cold or flu? Your grandma is doing very well at 91. In any case you should not take them. Instead you should take a lot of Vit. C. 500mg 3 times a day, or double that, so that you don't get the cold or flu. Hide the antibiotic, flush it down the toilet, or something.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Never flush drugs down the toilet. We don't need more crap in the environment. Better in landfill where they're more sequestered (though not well)

Crypto is right in that you have no good reason to take them, so shouldn't. Antibiotics treat bacterial infection, not viruses. Focus on eating well, including pre- and pro-biotics for your IBS. Especially drop the wheat.

Stand up for yourself
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Are you sure he prescribed antibiotics for a cold or flu? Maybe your grandma has some other problem that must be protected by antibiotics from a cold or flu? Your grandma is doing very well at 91. In any case you should not take them. Instead you should take a lot of Vit. C. 500mg 3 times a day, or double that, so that you don't get the cold or flu. Hide the antibiotic, flush it down the toilet, or something.
    Whether it's a cold or a flu I have..whatever this is. I'm going to take a wild guess and say cold. I was in the examining room with her when the doctor mentioned this and he simply asked me if I was allergic to anything (I said no, not that I know of) So honestly I don't think the pills have some kind of special properties that my grandmother needed if the doctor didn't mind us sharing those pills. 60 pills in all, and my grandma gave me half.

My usual ailments consist of

seasonal allergies/hay-fever
    sinus issues
    IBS related problems
    the usual menstrual torture
    a headache

And maybe each year or every other year I get a bug of some kind. That being said when I get like this I don't usually have a lot of experience with dealing with it. In other words, I'm not constantly getting sick from bugs like a lot of people do so it's a bit jarring when I do get this. I wasn't sure if taking a drug was the best option here or if I should just suffer through and treat it with diet.

Despite it being spring, the winer weather won't leave, making it possible for bugs to thrive.

I took one antibiotic pill. I just want to know if I should leave it at that and start fresh in the morning without them. My goal is to heal my gut not damage it further. (I really hate how society is so quick to pop pills for everything. I've never known a pill to actually HEAL someone.)
    F|26yr|5'3"

peril is offline Senior Member
    DO NOT TAKE THEM. They kill healthy gut flora. You need healthy gut flora if you are to beat IBS
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Never flush drugs down the toilet. We don't need more crap in the environment. Better in landfill where they're more sequestered (though not well)

Crypto is right in that you have no good reason to take them, so shouldn't. Antibiotics treat bacterial infection, not viruses. Focus on eating well, including pre- and pro-biotics for your IBS. Especially drop the wheat.

Stand up for yourself
    Yeah, totally not a good idea to ditch them in a toilet.

Considering that my overall symptoms have not changed one way or the other in the last 3 days that I've had this, I feel I don't need them. I certainly don't want it to get worse but yeah...if antibiotics won't even help this there's doubly no need for them! What the heck... >< What's wrong with doctors...I mean the man didn't even examine me. I was only there to serve as aid to my grandmother (her human cane/walker). But I know she had a ploy for me to be in that room with her when she saw the doctor (because it was her appointment.) I'm rather surprised the doctor would even do that without being asked.

I will stand up for myself from now on (or else I won't divulge that I'm not going to take pills to her.) I don't live with her so she can't shadow every move I make. I didn't feel right about it from the beginning. Even as a kid, I used to hide pills and put them in the trash when they were given to me (though my main reason was I had issues with swallowing.) In fact I was doing okay this morning until I HAD to go outside to assist her. All that exposure to changing temps and other people (the waiting room is a scary place) So I think being away from home made me feel much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    DO NOT TAKE THEM. They kill healthy gut flora. You need healthy gut flora if you are to beat IBS
    Alright. I won't be taking anymore as of tomorrow and I will be trying to clean up my eating too (I'll probably have some lemon honey tea or something.) I'm supposed to take them 3 times a day. But OMG I just hate taking pills. It just never seems like a good idea period (my grandmother is just now getting over some nasty side effects of some pills that were for a UTI. Made her hands blister awfully and around her mouth too! She thinks it's the work of generics. Maybe maybe not. I don't care. I don't want to take them.

Hopefully one pill won't be too damaging, especially if I don't keep taking it. Dx
    F|26yr|5'3"

Crabbcakes is online now Senior Member
    Do not take antibiotics in this fashion, period. They must be prescribed for you personally, for a bacterial infection that you have, and the doc must do this because there are different classes of antibiotics out there that kill the different classes of bacteria that infect the human body, and one class of antibiotic does not kill each and every class of bacteria. Antibiotics are life-savers, but they have been abused to the point of creating super-bugs that are scarier than hell.

You sound like a very sweet granddaughter, but you gotta' get some backbone on this one. NO LETTING GRANDMA GUILT YOU INTO TAKING HER PILLS!!

As far as the IBS, try reading up on the GAPS and the SCD diets. They have helped a good number of folks with gut problems, my daughter included.

And I hope you do feel better soon! Bone broth, lemon in tea are good until your body is done healing itself. (No wheat, please.)
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    If I was you, I would not take them because they are LEGALLY not your pills. That doctor should be reported. A prescription bottle with one person's name on it should only be taken by THAT ONE PERSON.

Just keep taking care of yourself. Get in some bone broth & probiotic/fermented foods. Make sure your body has all it needs to fight this thing off!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    There are plenty of doctors out there who prescribe antibiotics to patients who think they need them because they know the patients will go to another doctor if they don't get them there.

I had bronchitis some years back that I caught from my daughter. She had been given an antibiotic, which made her sore throat go away. But the bronchitis lingered. So it was undoubtedly viral. I had a discussion with intelligent women in the bio research lab who assured me that when you have a viral infection, you should go to a doctor and get an antibiotic, to prevent you from coming down with an unrelated bacterial infection.

People have no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    If I was you, I would not take them because they are LEGALLY not your pills. That doctor should be reported. A prescription bottle with one person's name on it should only be taken by THAT ONE PERSON.

Just keep taking care of yourself. Get in some bone broth & probiotic/fermented foods. Make sure your body has all it needs to fight this thing off!
    Unfortunately she's been doing stuff like this for quite a while, about sharing pills, even though I told her it's dangerous and illegal. Honestly I think that's why she seems so taken with this doctor because he does what she wants/likes But she's in so much pain all the time because of her knee (which keeps her from getting around easily). Somehow I think she's addicted to pain killers but often claims they don't work or they're not potent (read: generic). She even had me research a drug just to see if what she was getting was brand. She's often offered to give her pills to me and I have refused because of the reason you just mentioned. But I guess I did get swept up because everyone in the family is sick and my dad was offering me his stuff too. I know they're thinking of me but...they just need to stop.

I really really regret taking that one pill. I did wake up feeling a little weird in the stomach (which wasn't happening before.) I just hope this pill wears off soon. It's been officially 12 hours since taking it.
    F|26yr|5'3"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast