Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Antibiotics page 2

Byakko is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Do not take antibiotics in this fashion, period. They must be prescribed for you personally, for a bacterial infection that you have, and the doc must do this because there are different classes of antibiotics out there that kill the different classes of bacteria that infect the human body, and one class of antibiotic does not kill each and every class of bacteria. Antibiotics are life-savers, but they have been abused to the point of creating super-bugs that are scarier than hell.

You sound like a very sweet granddaughter, but you gotta' get some backbone on this one. NO LETTING GRANDMA GUILT YOU INTO TAKING HER PILLS!!

As far as the IBS, try reading up on the GAPS and the SCD diets. They have helped a good number of folks with gut problems, my daughter included.

And I hope you do feel better soon! Bone broth, lemon in tea are good until your body is done healing itself. (No wheat, please.)
    Why don't people and doctors seem to know that? I didn't. I mean I was never really concerned about all this healthy info until I got IBS, learned about paleo and was exposed to all this information in order to find answers. Why aren't the doctors educating people when it's okay to take these and when it isn't? And I agree about the super bugs. I always shiver a little when I hear about those reports (though I don't think I connected it with antibiotics alone)
    F|26yr|5'3"
    1st Start: 8.25.12
    SW: 151 CW: 147 GW: -150
    HW: 195

Zach is offline Banned
    I didnt read the whole thread but i would never trust a doctor who just hands out antibiotics to anyone who wants them. You have a virus, antibiotics will do nothing but kill good bacteria in your body. Also you need to confront your grandma about pushing drugs your way. There are very few reasons to ever need prescription or over the counter medications, a common cold or flu is not one of them.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Byakko View Post

I really really regret taking that one pill. I did wake up feeling a little weird in the stomach (which wasn't happening before.) I just hope this pill wears off soon. It's been officially 12 hours since taking it.
    do you have any probiotics or kombucha, keefir, good yogurt etc?
    Might be a good idea to boosting your gut as even just the one pill could have messed up/killed a lot of your gut flora.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    do you have any probiotics or kombucha, keefir, good yogurt etc?
    Might be a good idea to boosting your gut as even just the one pill could have messed up/killed a lot of your gut flora.
    All I have is some store bought Align, no probiotic foods.
    Not sure what good yogurt is...we have organic options at the store but probably not full fat (plus I hate plain yogurt.)
    I used to have some pickles but I'm out and I'd have to go pretty far to get them. The kefir at the store is...well I hear those aren't the best. Never had kombucha. Seriously the only fermented foods I've ever experienced are yogurt and Bubbie's pickles.

I should state that I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to all this (even though I've read about it.) I'm still learning and a lot of this stuff is not readily available to me.
    F|26yr|5'3"

Kelmar is offline Senior Member
    I would not take them. C-Diff is directly related to antibiotic use as well as all the drug resistant super bugs we have out there. They won't help if you have a cold or the flu. They will kill off your healthy gut flora, and C-Diff is not something you want to develop. I do hope you and yours feel much better soon!!
    I treat my body like a temple.....to nourish the Goddess who lives inside

Our kitchen isn't stocked with healthy food nor do we have easy access to stores that supply them. Its a pretty typical SAD kitchen.

Even though I'll try to be primal/paleo it won't be perfect. I'm not following a plan as of yet though I've been trying to work on one for a long time. (But I mention all this in my journal.)

All I've had today is two eggs (nice healthy ones from my aunt's chickens that she gave me) cooked in coconut oil, salt pepper and a little added butter. The worst thing I've had today is a cup of orange juice (typical Tropicana) watered down with ice and a Ricola for my cough.
    F|26yr|5'3"

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    A lot of people find antibiotics upset their stomachs. It's one reason why doctors often have trouble getting compliance with taking the entire prescription.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    A lot of people find antibiotics upset their stomachs. It's one reason why doctors often have trouble getting compliance with taking the entire prescription.
    Well I haven't taken any since last night. Again, as I said, I only had one pill (the prescription was filled yesterday). I don't intend on taking anymore. The main thing I wanted to know was if I was in danger if I had taken one pill or if I had needed to continue once I started.

Also I'm trying to heal myself as much as I can but I'm woefully unprepared and without a good stock of healthy primal foods. The most healthy thing I can make is some tea but even that isn't completely organic (ginger is conventional).

I've got some sweet potato that I cut up and stored in the fridge, a head of broccoli that I need to wash, cut, and blanch, celery stalks, spinach, arugula and onion. I have some shrimp but as we have never had seafood as part of our diet I am not sure what to do with them (They are frozen conventional shrimp that I believe has been precooked). I have 6 chicken thighs that I've cooked and frozen, some veal.

Most of these are conventional and not grass fed or organic but that's what's available/affordable.
    F|26yr|5'3"

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Good yogurt would be just regular yogurt without any crap added (sugar, preservatives, flavor enhancers.. E numbers.. things you dont recognize & cant pronounce.. you get the idea). The only ingredient should be .. Yogurt (or Milk) . They should also say contains live cultures (for instance the Orken yogurt says "Live Probiotic Cultures inside - Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium longum " )

I would avoid fat free but if you can't get full fat I wouldn't worry about it to much.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks everyone for responding with your advice.

I think I'm starting to be on the mend. Just an itchy dry annoying throat issue now. I guess the gunk is draining. No fevers or bad aches. Been drinking my fluids mostly but I managed to pick up bones yesterday for the first time which I will use to make my first ever bone broth.

Unfortunately my grandmother is still playing Pill Police, but I've basically lied to her and told her I took them. It doesn't pay to argue with a 91yr old woman.
    F|26yr|5'3"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast