Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You really have to watch labels.... page

Fiveholts714 is offline Junior Member

You really have to watch labels....

Shop Now
    I just went to the store and thought I'd pick up some sardines for my lunch tomorrow. The store brand was a lot cheaper, so I put it in my cart. Then I noticed on the front label that they proudly advertised that the sardines are packed on soy oil. In fact, most of the sardines were packed in soy oil! I finally found one in olive oil, but it was boneless. One of the reasons sardines are good for you is the calcium, so I need the bones! There was one brand packed in olive oil that had bones. Why use soy oil at all? Do people think they are at a nutritional advantage if they eat soy oil?

boomingno is offline Member
    Its subsidized, and thus cheaper, sadly. I can barely find any canned seafood that is canned in olive oil where I live.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiveholts714 View Post
    I just went to the store and thought I'd pick up some sardines for my lunch tomorrow. The store brand was a lot cheaper, so I put it in my cart. Then I noticed on the front label that they proudly advertised that the sardines are packed on soy oil. In fact, most of the sardines were packed in soy oil! I finally found one in olive oil, but it was boneless. One of the reasons sardines are good for you is the calcium, so I need the bones! There was one brand packed in olive oil that had bones. Why use soy oil at all? Do people think they are at a nutritional advantage if they eat soy oil?
    No, soy oil is bad for you. But it's cheap and that's why they use it.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Soy is cheap, and they can always lie to you about health benefits of soy.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Two things that contain soy that absolutely floored me were tuna packed in water, and some pork rinds. Okay, they snuck the soy into the tuna to up the weight, but what on earth were they thinking when they decided soy oil was something that should be in pork rinds?

So, yes, unless you're shopping in the produce aisle or at the fish and meat counters, you will have to watch labels like a hawk.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You can drain sardines packed in water and add your own olive oil.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i wouldn't put a lot of trust in the sardines packed in olive oil either; it's probably only part olive oil. far better is to get the sardines packed in water. i drain the water and eat them with a little mustard, or sometimes some actual olives.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    I get the Wild Planet sardines packed in oil, on auto delivery from Amazon. The oil seems to be a good quality and its way cheaper than buying it at my co-op.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiveholts714 View Post
    If you want to know why they use soy oil, ask the government; it's their fault.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Some people really do think soy is healthy... In the conventional wisdom universe soy is still riding on that weird moment it had in like the 90s/early 00's where everyone was like "omg soy is a superfood!" (probably Monsanto paid the health agencies to say good things abt soy in anticipation of future GMO fallout...or that's my conspiracy theory anyway)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast