Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: YALP (Yet Another Lipid Panel) with NMR but a bit weird one page 2

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    From my own experience, I would never, NEVER trust a doctor that recommended statins. Never. And Zetia destroyed my muscles with amazing speed.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    @ Janie

I have a simple rule: if a patient is over 90, they do not get any new medications, and I will require specific proof to keep them on current meds. Anyone that would Rx any new drug to someone that was alive for World War I should lose their license.

As for statins, I have not seen specific proof that they are ever helpful for actual life expectancy....my analogy to patients is that taking a statin to lower an LDL number is like taping the wings back onto a 747 airliner to convince people to buy a ticket to get on it....sure, you made it LOOK like you did something, but the damn thing still ain't flying. It is taking a pretty pocketknife to a problem (metabolic syndrome, or NOTHING BUT GENES in many other cases) that requires a machete.

Cholesterol high + metabolic syndrome markers => drugs of any kind will do nothing to prolong life. Only effective treatment is overhaul of all of the patient's diet regimen. Everything else is wishful thinking.

Cholesterol high + NO markers, hereditary or diet justifying => Relax. Do nothing. Pass the bacon.

Not rocket surgery folks

Lumifer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    I am of the opinion, and I have seen a lot of research that backs this up, that all of the studies done on LP's and heart disease were not measuring LP's alone; they were measuring metabolic syndrome.
    Well... I am hesitant to defend mainstream medicine, but I'm not sure it's that simple.

All the numbers are correlated, of course. Still, teasing them apart is not an insurmountable problem (though I wish dearly the studies supplied their *data* to the public so we can run our own statistics on it). There was a recent study -- its name doesn't pop into my head at the moment, but it was mostly dealing with LDL-P (maybe Framingham Offspring?) -- that published a nice table of CVD outcomes per quartiles of trigs and LDL-P. I'll try to find it and post it, but I seem to remember that even in the low-trig group (trigs < 100) there was dependency between frequency of CVD and LDL-P. And trigs are a pretty good marker for the metabolic syndrome.

There is certainly the classic case of high-everything-except-for-HDL which has the sky-high risk of CVD. But in the primal and the low-carb worlds a frequent type is high LDL (both LDL-P and LDL-C), low trigs, high HDL, good glucose. From the population point of view this is atypical and it seems we just don't know what happens to these people CVD-wise.

I would be happy if metabolic syndrome is really what it's all about and LDL-P/ApoB/etc. is just a red herring, but I don't think at the moment we have the evidence to say this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12