Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any guys here who lift weights and eat around 4000 cals a day? page

Lynx33 is offline Member

Any guys here who lift weights and eat around 4000 cals a day?

Hi,

is there any guys (or girls ) here who lift weights and eat around 4000 cals a day? Could you give me an idea of what a typical day looks like food-wise?

This week it has been fresh fish, canned salmon, beef, turkey, nuts, and avocados, and eggs, sweet potatos...I'm still not getting enough calories...how big are your portion sizes usually? What are other sources of fat to add to my meals besides avocados and nuts?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I don't count calories, but a typical day for me now during my bulk is something like:

Breakfast: 2 cups of decaf coffee with a heaping tablespoon of heavy cream, 2 eggs/1 banana/2 tablespoons shredded coconut pancakes with 1/2 tablespoon butter and 1-2 tablespoons almond butter

At work: 1-2 cups regular coffee with heavy cream

lunch: 1 can sardines, (or 4-5 oz. liver) 3 eggs, 3 oz. cheese

dinner: 8 oz ground beef, 1 medium white or sweet potato with a lot of butter (1.5 tablespoons?), some greens sauteed in copious bacon fat, a few squares of dark chocolate

Some days I go to jiu jitsu class after work, so I skip dinner, eat the potato with lunch and have a snack of an apple and 3-4 oz cheese or a big dish of full-fat yogurt when I get home.

Supplement with grass-fed whole milk as necessary. Going through about 1/2 gallon a week.

I'm between 150 and 155 at the moment. Will probably cut down to 145ish for bathing suit season.

Can you dairy? Cheese, fatty greek yogurt, and whole milk are swollertrophic. Otherwise, cook everything in lots of coconut oil. Make a shake with coconut milk and egg yolks. Avocados. Your choices are endless.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I don't count calories, but a typical day for me now during my bulk is something like:

Breakfast: 2 cups of decaf coffee with a heaping tablespoon of heavy cream, 2 eggs/1 banana/2 tablespoons shredded coconut pancakes with 1/2 tablespoon butter and 1-2 tablespoons almond butter

At work: 1-2 cups regular coffee with heavy cream

lunch: 1 can sardines, (or 4-5 oz. liver) 3 eggs, 3 oz. cheese

dinner: 8 oz ground beef, 1 medium white or sweet potato with a lot of butter (1.5 tablespoons?), some greens sauteed in copious bacon fat, a few squares of dark chocolate

Some days I go to jiu jitsu class after work, so I skip dinner, eat the potato with lunch and have a snack of an apple and 3-4 oz cheese or a big dish of full-fat yogurt when I get home.

Supplement with grass-fed whole milk as necessary. Going through about 1/2 gallon a week.

I'm between 150 and 155 at the moment. Will probably cut down to 145ish for bathing suit season.

Can you dairy? Cheese, fatty greek yogurt, and whole milk are swollertrophic. Otherwise, cook everything in lots of coconut oil. Make a shake with coconut milk and egg yolks. Avocados. Your choices are endless.
    How do you actually bulk on that few carbs? I couldn't possibly stomach that much fat and still be able to work out whatsoever. When I ate nothing but fat I dropped 15lbs in less than a week and lost my appetite completely. And this is coming from a guy who now eats 3.5-4k effortlessly without lifting and I stay around ~150.
    nihil

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I don't know anything about you, whether you are some skinny kid or a fat guy or what. But this article has a lot of truth in it.
    T NATION | Truth About Bulking

That said, as a female and somewhat older, shorter one, I have found that a serving of lean meat or fish at every meal accompanied by a potato, vegetables or both, is adequate for me to be able to build muscle and strength to the best of my limited ability. There is no need to shove tons of calories in, just get adequate protein and carbohydrate to support steady progress.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Kool is offline Senior Member
    being able to eat 4000 calories a day sounds like heaven

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    being able to eat 4000 calories a day sounds like heaven
    But it must be hard on the food budget.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    But it must be hard on the food budget.
    Not really.

Rice, potatoes, eggs, butter and organ meat is fairly cheap. I buy that crap in bulk. Lets me spend the rest of my cash on the good stuff - like coffee, and chocolate. Lots of that.

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Yeah! I ate 4000+ today. Necessary just to maintain my weight on heavy lifting days.

The fact is on paleo you need to eat a TON of lean meat and vegi in order to hit 4000. It's exhasting and expensive. Unless you do it the efficient way by incorporating fat, which is what I do:

1) figure out grams of protein you need, 2) decide grams of carbs you are going to eat, 3) the rest is fat (energy).

So for me that's about 170g protein, 100g carbs, and the rest fat (about 330). The technique I've adopted is to make 3-4 regular meals: a fist sized portion of meat plus vegis cooked in butter AND THEN add to that a "fat shake". The fat shake adds serious calories quick; example a whole can of coconut milk plus 6 raw eggs, bam 1200 calories right there. Or a heavy cream latte, I've had a 1000 calorie latte before, then hit the gym with non-stop energy.

You're already getting the nutrients you need in the other foods, so the fat is just extra ENERGY. If I don't incorporate fat space in my stomach becomes an issue. Calorically dense meals don't take up much space.

(and before anyone says it, no I don't carb, and no I don't believe you need carbs for muscle growth, and no I don't believe you need to "replace your glycogen stores")

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    How do you actually bulk on that few carbs? I couldn't possibly stomach that much fat and still be able to work out whatsoever. When I ate nothing but fat I dropped 15lbs in less than a week and lost my appetite completely.
    That's sort of the beauty of it though, what I've experienced is upper/lower body getting bigger while waist keeps getting smaller. Which goes against what everyone says that you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time...but then of course everyone is carbing.

Also my energy is never better when eating a 1000 calorie fat shake PWO (but I'm probably very adapted to fat by now).

This is probably different than what most gym dudes are doing I know, just a different experience. Also my goals are not HUGE MASS, but rather strength and leanness.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been crossfiting and floowing Martin on Leangains. In the beginning stages of crossfitting, I would workout one day, and be so sore for the next 3 days, that it was a chore getting to crossfit because I was so sore all the time. At that point, i was eating 2 meals per day, low carb, high fat and moderate protein. I did my research and decided to make big changes to my diet.

Enter Leangains. I workout in the early morning and I follow that protocol.

5:30am - 10g BCAA
    6-7am workout
    7am - 10g BCAA
    9AM - 10G BCAA

My eating begins around Noon - 1pm and closes around 7pm.

I changed my eating from this: 70Fat/20protein/10carbs (1400 calories a day) to this;

150-160grams of protein every day, high carb on workout days (150grams) and low fat.

On non workout days, protein stays the same, fats are increased substantially, and carbs reduced to 50grams.

The results:
    1. No more belly fat
    2. I'm lifting heavier weights every week...getting some personal bests of around 15lbs in some of my lifts
    3. I sleep 10 hours per night
    4. I don't have DOMS any longer
    5. I've introduced protein powder to my diet as it's hard for me to eat that much protein with supplementation;
    6. I have more energy than I know what to do with
    7. I'm gaining muscle and losing fat quickly.

At first, I was really afraid to increase my calories from 1400 daily to 2400 but I bit the bullet and jumped in. I continue to measure myself and pay less attention to the scale. I believe that I would benefit from more calories, as I shift from crossfit 3 x per week to 5x per week, and I'm going to make that shift soon.

The biggest benefit for me was no more DOMS. My recovery is fast and painless and I'm ready to get back to my next workout.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience here.

I am female, 49 and 5'11".

/lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast