Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: insomnia page 3

denise is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    FWIW my "tenpennerth"

Low carb (lower carb than 150g a day) and I am unable to sleep. VLC - disastrous for me, I become seriously depressed. I think some of us just don't cope on lowering carbs. I didn't find eating the carbs I had later in the day made any difference, I just HAVE to eat 150g or more.

One "supplement" that had an immediate positive effect was magnesium citrate, 20' before I went to bed. BUT more than anything ..... a potato before bed.... sounds daft? Worked for me.

Insomnia is miserable, I hope you find an answer but even more, I hope you find a cure!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Most people get those melatonin hangovers the next morning, which is akin to the brain fog. Personally I took it once and woke up feeling like I drank a liter of vodka and slept in an igloo(balls were shrunk haha) so, yeah, never again
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

grae_bird is offline Member
    I did make an appt. which is why I have the medication, which hasn't helped much. But yes, my body and mind and spirit were cracking under 0-2 hours. For the past week I have gotten a rough 4-6 hours of sleep a night, waking up a lot--that is with the medication.

Caffeine - no coffee, no black tea. A little bit of green tea in the morning and a splurge is to make hot cocoa with unsweetened coconut milk and pure baking cocoa--no added sugar. But I have that only before 8:00 a.m.... and all caffeine free tea in the afternoon. I wouldn't think that would affect sleep?

Thanks for the info on melatonin. THat has been one of the many, many things I have tried (but didn't help).

grae_bird is offline Member
    I also wonder about adrenal fatigue, my body being so stressed with health issues and malabsorption. But my doctor didn't take it seriously and insurance would not cover testing adrenal levels.... sigh. Any ideas?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Test thyroid, don't worry about adrenals.

Have you considered colostrum? It's expensive, but definitely improves the stomach lining.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Test thyroid, don't worry about adrenals.

Have you considered colostrum? It's expensive, but definitely improves the stomach lining.
    The two are linked, it would be a waste of time to not test both. Many people have subclinical thyroid problems bc their adrenals suck.

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you have some more serious health issues at work here and perhaps the insomnia is a side-effect of them. Have you had your C-reactive protein tested? I'm wondering about autoimmune conditions. If you're unable to gain weight your physician should automatically be testing thyroid levels. Having him/her adding blood cortisol levels doesn't cost more and is indicated. If your doctor refuses perhaps it's time to find a new physician. Best wishes to you on your road to health!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I would also check thyroid levels - including thyroid autoantibodies. Inability to gain weight and insomnia could both the thyroid.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123