Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stair climbing for sprinting? page

astrummortis is offline Junior Member

Question stair climbing for sprinting?

Primal Fuel
    Would it make sense to count 10 mins of stair climbing as sprinting? Quick pace, no rests? Don't know if sprinting just counts as a heart rate thing or if there's a special value in straight out running.

Thanks!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    If you can keep it up for 10 minutes, it's cardio. Alternate slow recovery stretches with full-bore running.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    you can get a great sprint workout in on stairs, but like eKatherine said, you need to break it up. the goal of a sprint workout is to tax your body, recover, and do it again. so, for your workout you could run up the stairs as fast as you can for about 20 seconds (go fast enough where you couldn't possibly continue after 20 seconds), then just stand there and rest for about a minute or more. then do that 9 more times.

you can also turn tall buildings/stair cases into a great metabolic conditioning workout where you keep your heart rate up and muscles working hard for 10-20 minutes. it sounds like you've kind of been trying that, but i, personally, would add in something like 10 pushups or mountain climbers at every floor to make it more full-body.

adamm is offline Senior Member
    I'm trying to imagine sprinting up stairs to exhaustion multiple times. The vision I get is pain. Pain for when you face plant into the edge of a star and smash your teeth, shattering your jaw and then end up drinking non-paleo shakes for the next 3 months as your face is slowly put back together.

If you are walking up stairs to exhaustion, that is, as eKatherine said, that is cardio, not sprinting.

--Me

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    I am lucky and live in a 13 floors building. Sprinting up to the 10th/11th is usually the maximum I can do, and takes some seconds: my legs burn like if I just had an injection with acid, fancy white orbs float in front of my eyes and I need several minutes to be able to repeat the effort. Also, your legs will hurt for 3 days, like if you had a one-hour weighted squat session at the gym. It is an excellent replacement for rainy days or winter (I wouldn't recommend sprinting on wet or ice).

If you can keep doing upstairs and downstairs for 10 minutes it looks like cardio: the stepper machine is a way to simulate stair climbing and is definitely cardio. I do not say that it is not good (10 minutes is not "chronic cardio" anyway). It's just not sprinting The muscular fibers you are stimulating and the anabolic response are completely different. Sprints are all out efforts, just must imagine that a morbid Rottweiler is chasing you and you are literately running for life.

Quote Originally Posted by primal_alex View Post
    Sprints are all out efforts, just must imagine that a morbid Rottweiler is chasing you and you are literately running for life.
    that's what i do, only my rottweiler is a bear.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Stair sprinting; Run upstairs for 25 - 30 seconds as if a lion is chasing you, so really run for your life! Walk slowly downstairs to the start point, rinse and repeat 6 -10 times! Make the few first sprints as warmups so don't go all out on those. After sprinting easy jogging for 20 - 30 minutes will give a steady blood flood to thighs and hips and help burning fat in those places...

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    that's what i do, only my rottweiler is a bear.
    I'm thinking of a tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I'm thinking of a tiger.
    i did that once, but it caught me and i pulled a hamstring. tigers suck.

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i did that once, but it caught me and i pulled a hamstring. tigers suck.
    Yeah, really. I haven't gotten away yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast