Thread: Case study on hunter gatherer and low fat. page

silas is offline Member

Case study on hunter gatherer and low fat.

Primal Fuel
    Primal Wisdom: Who Said Paleo Diet Had High Fat Percentages? Part 1

Only flaw i see is that no account of the fact they ate marrow n brain but read comments bellow article and it is interesting banter.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    "I don’t think we can consider olive oil, avocado oil, or coconut oil paleo foods, since production of these fats requires technology not available in the stone age.

Like modern !Kung, Paleolithic hunter-gatherers living fifty thousand years ago also did not have pots necessary for rendering, i.e. refining and isolating, animal fat. Nor did they have cream or butter. Based on this, I have come to realize that I can’t consider isolated lard or tallow or similar refined, animal-derived fats “Paleolithic” foods. We really can’t consider any isolated oil, whether animal or vegetable, a paleo food."

Right, because they didn't have baskets and rocks to squeeze oil from nuts...

And this:

"Indeed, since paleo people didn’t have neolithic pots we really can’t consider cooking in such pots a Paleolithic technique, and I believe it important to notice that cooking meat in neolithic pots results in capturing more of the fat of foods than a hunter-gatherer could capture. We especially can’t consider frying in fat a Paleolithic diet method."

Contradicts this: "Even Inuit used seal oil and blubber to fuel fires and candles." What did the Inuit use to render this blubber if they didn't have "neolithic pots?"
    They used paleolithic pots! Skin pots are common in hunter-gatherer cultures, and presumably our African ancestors used them too.

silas is offline Member
    haha. On the site there are prt 2 and so on. Still interesting simply because there are so many different views on health and each camp supposedly has proof of there view...catholics and baptists,lol.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kata View Post
    Contradicts this: "Even Inuit used seal oil and blubber to fuel fires and candles." What did the Inuit use to render this blubber if they didn't have "neolithic pots?"
    They used paleolithic pots! Skin pots are common in hunter-gatherer cultures, and presumably our African ancestors used them too.
    Yes. Skin pots don't stand the test of archaeological time the way clay does but they work. That author need to do better research.

silas is offline Member

Paleobird Guest
    Now that one is just plain silly. As pointed out in the comments, they can't even get "part per million" and "parts per billion" straight.

silas is offline Member
    lol but it did make me think how nice it would be 2 try that for myself with various bones,just curious. There was recently a Arsenic waring in rice grown in the us,which I don't understand how rice in China could be better????

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Why do I care what a caveman did? I just want to eat the healthiest way possible, and that includes fats and oils. You know who has neolithic pots for cooking and rendering fats? Me.

This is the same old debate, optimal health vs caveman re-enactment. Cavemen ate whatever they could to avoid starvation. They didn't turn down potatoes because they were trying to stay in ketosis and they didn't render fat becasue they didn't have pots. This has nothing at all to do with the optimal way to eat in modern times.

silas is offline Member
    true true. I not 100% on anything and I am not sure anyone is simply because the research changes but one thing can be said, anything in excess is bad and inflammation is a bast*&d.

So moderation and whatever works for lower inflammation markers is pretty good in my book...along with physical activity.