Thread: Resource for Paleo (or low carb) to Beat Cancer? page

DavidBrennan is offline Banned

Resource for Paleo (or low carb) to Beat Cancer?

Primal Fuel
    I have a close family member in the most horrifying situation - it's so by-the-books terrible that it sounds like I'm making this up, but I'm not. He's in his mid-thirties, recently moved to Texas for work, just got married and had a son. Life is good.... Then brain cancer stops him dead in his tracks. He has been in-and-out of surgeries for the better part of a year. As he's been physically debilitated, his weight has ballooned from an average physique to that of a portly 60 year-old. His sight comes and goes, and when he can see, he needs thick Coke-bottle glasses now.

Anyway....you get the idea. We all know what cancer does to people.

The one thing he has kept, though, is his conscientiousness. Mentally, he's still all there, and he still has hopes for recovery. However, he did recently say, "I feel like I have a ticking time bomb on top of my neck.") So I have tried to convince him to consider a paleo diet just for the sake of beating cancer.

The reason I think paleo beats cancer is because I have come across many vague references to low carb and paleo diets "starving" cancer cells as those cells need carbohydrates to grow (this is what I recall). But a relatively thorough internet search yielded no great single article or video on the subject. There was certainly nothing like 'Fat Head' or 'The Primal Blueprint' on the topic.

So what I'm looking for is the best single reference to share with a cancer patient to convince him to consider low carb and paleo as a means to beat his illness.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    I know both Robb Wolf and Colin Champ have written about this.

Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    I know both Robb Wolf and Colin Champ have written about this.
    Yeah....I recall Robb Wolf mentioning it - usually just briefly or in passing - in his podcast and in several YouTube videos. But if you know of any robust resources on the topic - something that could be passed along to a non-paleo man who, right now, is inundated with CW crap from his doctors, wife, and others - that'd be appreciated.

Paleobird Guest
    I recommend the blog of Dr. Georgia Ede called Diagnosis: Diet. She has a lot of great resources there and has written extensively about cancer.

As a cancer survivor myself, my heart goes out to your family member.

Nutrition Science Meets Common Sense | Dr. Georgia Ede | Diagnosis: Diet

This is the best book on the subject out there:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cancer-Metabol.../dp/0470584920
    Last edited by Paleobird; 03-28-2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: add links

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    That is tragic.
    We just watched the DVD "FoodMatters". In it they advise that 100,000 mg Vit. C daily will cure cancer or at least arrest it. I think they would recommend a vegan diet. Most others I've heard advise a paleo diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I recommend the blog of Dr. Georgia Ede called Diagnosis: Diet. She has a lot of great resources there and has written extensively about cancer.

As a cancer survivor myself, my heart goes out to your family member.

Nutrition Science Meets Common Sense | Dr. Georgia Ede | Diagnosis: Diet

This is the best book on the subject out there:
    Cancer as a Metabolic Disease: On the Origin, Management, and Prevention of Cancer: Thomas Seyfried: 9780470584927: Amazon.com: Books
    Ah, thanks a lot. I just sent him those two links, as well as a link to this '60 Minutes' segment which discusses the effect of sugar on cancer cells.

The book, unfortunately, is over $100 and so somebody who's just lightly poking at the ideas isn't likely to buy it, but for somebody who's already gravitating to the theory, they'll invest in it.

It's very frustrating to see how much faith and trust people put into CW, and how any theories that they brand "alternative medicine" immediately get dismissed as "junk science" because Penn & Teller and all these hipster "debunkers" mock them all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    That is tragic.
    We just watched the DVD "FoodMatters". In it they advise that 100,000 mg Vit. C daily will cure cancer or at least arrest it. I think they would recommend a vegan diet. Most others I've heard advise a paleo diet.
    Hmmm. The "vegan" comment there makes me highly skeptical of everything else in the documentary, despite the fact that its Amazon.com summary seemed pretty promising. (My worldview has become very skeptical of the media and elites. I always think, "Falsus in unus, falsus in omnibus." If they're wrong in one thing, then they're wrong in all things.)

But I will definitely keep 'FoodMatters' on the backburner as something to refer people to, if a documentary is the only way to get their attention.

Fern82 is offline Junior Member
    Hi David, I know it's a little late, but I just found this thread, and thought I might give it a try, I hope everything is well.

First, you might want to do some research on Otto Warburg, that guy is key. Here's a good reference to start with:
    Can a High-Fat Diet Beat Cancer? - TIME

The focus is on high fat ketogenic diets.

Low-Carb, High-Protein Diet Slows Cancer Growth In Mice, Study Finds

I'm showing you the articles, but a quick search should lead you to the actual studies.

Another one

Is there a role for carbohydrate restriction in the treatment and prevention of cancer?

HOWEVER, you should read this post first. It's a bit lengthy, but worth it. (And check out the rest of the blog, after all it's not called Chris Beat Cancer for nothing)

http://www.chrisbeatcancer.com/dr-go...et-for-cancer/

here's an excerpt:

"Dr. Seyfried makes the case that normal stem cells, like cancer cells, are obligatory glucose consumers, relying solely on anaerobic glycolysis for the energy needed for survival. I agree, to a point. But I will also make the case that as with normal stem cells, cancer stem cells are very flexible, capable of adjusting to the local environment.

If deprived of oxygen, stem cells happily will turn to glycolysis as the main source of ATP energy. In an oxygen rich environment, I believe these stem cells can adapt accordingly, recoupling at least to some extent glycolysis to the citric acid cycle and electron transport, with great efficiency, and in terms of cancer, with deadly results."

As you can see, both ketogenic diets AND plant based high carb diets, have been touted as successful in treating cancer, so there is a lot of debate, as with everything else, there is no "one size fits all" pattern. Paleo seems to me like the best compromise, it's just balanced common sense, you can take it the low-carb way or the high-carb way, or the meet-me-in-the-middle way. I would agree with Dr. Gonzalez, treatment according to metabolic typing* Best of luck

*one last bit, on Dr. Nicholas Gonzalez, an interview by Mercola:
    Dr. Nicholas Gonzalez on Steve Jobs

Fern82 is offline Junior Member
    Oh, and before I forget, there's this book, that is kind of mind blowing. The Doctor Who Cures Cancer, about Dr. Revici, brilliant man, and I mean BRILLIANT!

The Doctor Who Cures Cancer: William Kelley Eidem: 9781438263908: Amazon.com: Books

roseb is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I found this article to be very informative and very convincing on the link between diet and cancer (and the need to try ketogenic diet):

Robb Wolf - The Origin of Cancer