Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calcium Sources? page

diene is offline Senior Member

Calcium Sources?

Primal Fuel
    I recently gave up dairy. Sadly. I think I have a mild casein allegery. It makes me feel like I need to clear my throat constantly.

In any case, I think cheese and yogurt were my main source of calcium. Other than sardines (which I eat from time to time but probably not frequently enough), what other food source provides calcium? An Internet search hasn't proven especially helpful. Sesame seeds, almonds, dark leafy greens, etc., etc. Fine. I eat those. I eat kale all the time, in fact. But I'm looking for something that would replace the calcium I no longer get from cheese and yogurt. And I don't want to have to eat a whole bunch of almonds to get it either. Any recommendations, all you folks who don't eat dairy? I really don't want to have to take another supplement. Plus, it's easy to overdo calcium if you take it as a supplement.

Zach is offline Banned
    Shellfish and small fish like sardines are your best bet. Bone broth and maybe bone marrow also. You can make a calcium supplement from egg shells that is very high quality.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    You can't do raw and/or other milk?
    Billie trips balls

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Here's a little article: Top 10 Foods Highest in Calcium

Also, sometimes people who can't tolerate fresh cheeses can tolerate aged cheeses better. If you try it and you can, you could keep some parmesan around as a flavoring.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a fat hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    I think calcium requires adequate vitamin D levels to be absorbed - so sunshine and, as already mentioned, fish are also needed.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    I think calcium requires adequate vitamin D levels to be absorbed - so sunshine and, as already mentioned, fish are also needed.
    Yes, all the 4 fat soluble vitamins are extremely important for mineral absorption. You need a LOT of them compared to what the average person gets nowadays. I think it's safe to say you NEED liver, high fat raw dairy or fermented cod liver oil or all of the above.
    Billie trips balls

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    EAT MOAR BONES! Seriously though. What better source of calcium? I eat bones every chance I get. Ends of chicken wings, canned sardines, pork ribs.

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    bone broth; if you can't figure out another way to use it, just drink it as is; and when you prepare it, add some vinegear, acidity helps dissolve the calcium into the broth.
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    You can't do raw and/or other milk?
    I have to experiment with those. I don't know if my allergy is limited to beta-casein A1, which would make it okay for me to consume sheep/goat cheese, as well as cheese from most Jersey cows. I don't really drink milk. Not even raw milk--don't like the taste. I prefer almond or coconut milk.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    EAT MOAR BONES! Seriously though. What better source of calcium? I eat bones every chance I get. Ends of chicken wings, canned sardines, pork ribs.
    Hah! I actually love crunching through the ends of chicken wings. I'll eat the entire smaller half of the wing--bones and all. But, again, I don't eat chicken wings regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    bone broth; if you can't figure out another way to use it, just drink it as is; and when you prepare it, add some vinegear, acidity helps dissolve the calcium into the broth.
    Good idea. I have some marrow bones in the freezer. Have been meaning to make broth. I'll be sure to add some vinegar.
    Last edited by diene; 03-28-2013 at 02:20 PM.

gunnerbee is offline Junior Member
    I've been wondering if I am going to get adequate calcium too. We've been having kale 2-4 times per week and other leafy greens as well. Added bone broth too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast