Thread: How many grams of protein/fat should I eat? page

Geeknik is offline Member

Question How many grams of protein/fat should I eat?

Primal Fuel
    Hello all. Just joined the site today. I started limiting my carb intake to 100 grams or usually less at the end of Feb. I was 200ish then and now I'm down to 173. I'm 5'4" and my goal weight is 130.

I'm just wondering how many grams of protein & fat should make up my diet?

I have a fitbit and keep track of my diet & exercise on my fitbit dashboard. Yesterday, for ex., I ate 95 grams of fat, 94 grams of protein and 82 grams of carbs. The day before that it was 86g fat, 74g protein & 77g carbs. Does that sound like what it should be?

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    I'm afraid there isn't really a "should". One of the main things (to me) about the Primal experience is n=1. What works for one person may not work for another. If you're feeling good and losing desired weight consistently, you're probably doing it right.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    There is actually a recommended amount for protein, based on your lean body weight. So once you have your limit for carbs and your target for protein, the rest can be fat. You do seem to have hit on a combination that is working well for you. Congrats on your progress to date and all the best for reaching your goal.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    There is actually a recommended amount for protein, based on your lean body weight. So once you have your limit for carbs and your target for protein, the rest can be fat. You do seem to have hit on a combination that is working well for you. Congrats on your progress to date and all the best for reaching your goal.
    The issue is that there is a huge variation among recommendations, based on not only research but individual response. Recommendations run from 1g/kg of ideal body weight to 1.5 or more g/lb of body weight.

In the end it still comes down to n=1.

Geeknik is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for all the responses. I'll just keep watching those carbs and exercising/lifting weights and hope the weight loss continues. I've been following the primal fitness exercise plan except for the sprinting. Now that the snow has finally melted I'm looking forward to doing the once a week sprint intervals. Still can't manage a pullup or get the hang of planks though.