Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stretches to increase squat mobility? page

Franklin's Dad is offline Junior Member

Stretches to increase squat mobility?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all, what are some good stretches to increase my flexibility and mobility in my squats? I know ... Google ... but I want to hear about what has been successful for people in this community.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    go and check out mobility wod. and use his search feature.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    go and check out mobility wod. and use his search feature.
    Enter the pain cave a man, come out a supple leopard.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Enter the pain cave a man, come out a supple leopard.
    Kstar is a crazy mofo. Brilliant, but crazy as a loon
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    At the risk of sounding like an ass, for most people a squat stretch works pretty well.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    also, look up the blog "katy says" -- she also has some info on the squat.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    At the risk of sounding like an ass, for most people a squat stretch works pretty well.
    Haha, I was going to suggest that as well.

Also, maybe work on ankle dorsiflexion:
    How to Improve Wrist and Ankle Mobility | Mark's Daily Apple

Rich Capalbo is offline Member
    Check out "Squat Rx" on youtube.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    KStar is awesome, but finding what I need on his site is impossible. I gotta back up Coach here- get all the way down into the bottom of a squat position and hang out for a bit. If you aren't flexible, hold on to something to keep from falling over backwards, or put something under your heels.

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    KStar is awesome, but finding what I need on his site is impossible. I gotta back up Coach here- get all the way down into the bottom of a squat position and hang out for a bit. If you aren't flexible, hold on to something to keep from falling over backwards, or put something under your heels.
    +1 on this. I've some flexibilty issues and the only way I could learn how to do a good squat was, indeed, to practice squatting

It DOES help to raise your heels just a bit - it helps to remove ankle flexibility out of the equation. One of the pre-hab drills my trainer had me doing for a time involved a dumbbell:

On a low surface, place a dumbbell. Pick it up and raise it in front of you - this is only for balance, the point is not to lift it or to use your shoulders - it is just a counter-balance. Slowly go down into a squat - if your heels are elevated a bit this will be much easier than if they are not. Once you are as deep as you can go, hold it for a few seconds before going back up - still holding the dumbbell. I did this for 2 sets of 10 reps.

A stretch you can do - once again with elevated heels if you need to. Reach down and grab your toes - bending your knees as needed - and they shouldn't ever be locked anyway. Keeping hold of those toes, go down into a squat, then SLOWLY - raise your butt but never letting go of those toes. Count to 5 as you raise your butt - I also did this for 2 sets at 10 reps. It REALLY helps and I saw very quick improvement with this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast