Thread: Primal and ultimate frisbee tournaments page

enikc is offline Junior Member

Primal and ultimate frisbee tournaments

Primal Fuel
    I am trying to go primal, but I'm having a terrible time eating correctly during frisbee tournaments. Help!

Several weekends a month, I play serious frisbee tournaments. This usually consists of 4-5 games on Saturday and another 4 games on Sunday. Each game is over an hour long and involves jogging and intermittent hard sprinting. If you're not familiar with the sport, think of it as soccer. The schedule can vary a lot within the day - I might have two games in a row and then an hour break and then another two games, for example, but it's usually around 8 hours total with 5-6 hours of playing per day.

I've tried eating a big breakfast and then eating sweet potato, dried fruit, salad, bananas with almond butter, apples and other primal foods during the day, but it's just not working. By the last game, I'm totally out of energy and resorting to candy, chocolate, and straight sugar to get me through. It's hard to eat any real meals during the day because there's not enough time between games for my stomach to digest anything serious.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of exercise schedule? What would you recommend to keep my energy up?

PS. I tried searching the forum for this topic, but was unable to come up with anything quite like it. Happy to be pointed to other threads though - I am new here!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Maybe dried fruit would help. It's a lot of sugar, but at least it's from a natural source. Coconut water might be helpful too.

Also, how long have you been Primal? You might just need more time to get used to not needing to eat so often. Then again, 5 Ultimate games in a day would wipe me out and I would probably want to eat something between games.

Koobs is offline Member
    Why not just eat more fruits and veggies during your tournaments?
    Perhaps the issue is your level of conditioning?

enikc is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Extra conditioning work never hurts, but this problem is a recent development. I was fine when I was eating bagels and peanut butter all day and never felt quite so tired or brain dead, which leads me to believe there's something wrong with my eating.