Thread: Keeping blood sugar stable, SIBO and/or GAPS? page

Mireia is offline Member

Keeping blood sugar stable, SIBO and/or GAPS?

Primal Fuel
    A while back I posted about my problems after going on a ketogenic diet (hair loss, acne, PMS, elevated liver, gallbladder, inflammation, heart palpitations, thyroid problems, fatigue, dizziness....it is too many to name it really)

At the time I was also taking supplements to detox and help my hormones balance. My PMS went away (ginormous difference!) and my acne started clearing up.

When my face was clear I began adding in more carbs and all other problems were gone within a few days to a few weeks (my thyroid is the bet ever now with my TSH at 2.2!!) But my acne slowly worsened again too.
    I suspect that raising my carbs caused my blood sugar to fly all over the place.

Does anyone know about this? And will it subside or need I work on keeping my blood sugar stable? I never broke out from sugar or anything before the ketogenic diet. I had clear skin.

I have also had more bloating after adding carbs back in (I have always had mild digestive pains and sometimes bloating). I can not eat sweet potato anymore for example. So I get all my carbs from 5-6 bananas a day, which I am not sure is ideal. :/ But I am running out of foods that have enough calories and carbs. I also want to make sure I keep my weight up (109lbs atm but was as low as 99)

I have gotten suggestions to gow low carb again and raise my fat intake. But I don't feel it is good for me at the time and I don't want my health to decline again.

Other things suggested were focusing on gut health, which I think is definitel necessary because of the bloatinh and pain. But how could I do a SIBO or GAPS diet while keeping my sugar stable and make sure I get enough calories and carbs??

I want to fix this last bit of a problem. I would feel awesome and like the healthiest person in the world if that was gone too.
    Currently eating strict Paleo, no rice or potatoes. I want to increase carbs and make sure my ratio of carbs, protein and fat is right for me.
    30, 5'5" and 108 lbs (formerly 100 lbs)
    I don't work out but I chase and nurse a toddler all day

Mireia is offline Member
    Bump
    Currently eating strict Paleo, no rice or potatoes. I want to increase carbs and make sure my ratio of carbs, protein and fat is right for me.

Mireia is offline Member
    No one knows? Really? It must be impossible to adress all problems then. Thats a bummer.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sweet potatoes and bananas aren't the only sources of carbs...what about white potatoes, rice, squash?

I ended up with many of the same issues as you after eating low carb for a long time. I'm now eating 2 or 3 pieces of fruit a day (berries sometimes, too) and a bit of white potatoes or rice at one of my main meals, and things seem to be improving steadily.