Thread: Omega-3 for allergies -- it really seems to work! page

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up Omega-3 for allergies -- it really seems to work!

Shop Now
    I have had bad hayfever and general allergy symptoms for a number of years, and going low-carb/grain-free a couple of years ago did not make a significant difference -- I remained a Claritin junkie. But this spring, as I become more consciously Primal, I've started taking fish oil capsules, and miraculously, I've taken like one Claritin in the past month, even as everyone goes on about what a bad allergy season it is.

Generally I take the Omega-3 before I go to bed (that's when I take other vitamins, so as not to interfere with my thyroid meds taken earlier), and yesterday I was feeling rather sniffly and realized I'd forgotten to take any the night before. So I took a capsule and within and hour the sniffles seemed gone. Wow.

We'll see if it keeps working through the summer -- my sense is that my worst symptoms in the past have come from midsummer weed pollen more than spring tree pollen.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Nope. Not for me. I have been taking 10 pills of it a day and I had the WORST spring allergies this year.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I take about two a day but two weeks ago had a shot and some prescription meds for allergies. Still have them now I take Zyrtec D at night and sometimes regular Zyrtec in the morning. Allergies rule.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    I'm allergic to birch, but the real test will be when the grass starts to pollinate. So far the birch allergy hasn't reared it's ugly head this spring. Even if the pollen count have been in the extreme range. Yay!

I am using 1000 mg Superba Krill Oil each day.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Stu
    Stu is offline Member
    I used to get a lot of congestion, and that has vanished. I still get a little of the itchies and scratchies but mainly from my cat. I haven't started to take fish oil yet, that would be awesome if it eliminated the rest of my allergies.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Everybody should just strive for optimal nutrition and if they still have problems then it's probably not a nutritional problem. They're all essential meaning that if the body doesn't get sufficient amounts, shit breaks.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

oyezoyez is offline Junior Member
    I've never heard of omega-3 for allergies, but they are supposed to have anti-inflammatory effects, so it could only help, right?

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    What is an allergy if not auto-immune inflammation run amok? What happens when we have no goddamn anti-inflammatory eicosanoids? inflammations runs wild. I just got my dad on fish oil and before whenever he would give his foot the slightest tap it would hurt for hours, major arthritis. He's been severely deficient for most of his life and now it feels fine. Durr.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    What is an allergy if not auto-immune inflammation run amok?
    The difference is an immune response to antigens of our own body vs. antigens of a foreign substance. In the latter, the general inflammation that results may damage the body (i.e., collateral damage), but it's not directed at the body in the first place.

It's a qualitative difference, not a quantitative difference. After all, anaphylaxis is quite extreme, but it's not autoimmunity. And autoimmunity can be mild.