Thread: alpha lipon acid - reduces life span page

Alex Who_else is offline Junior Member

alpha lipon acid - reduces life span

Shop Now
    Hi, i dont know whether this is already an old duck for you. read the 4 hour body and ALA sounded convincing...but now i have found this article in another German forum....Was it an overdosis or should one rather refrain from taking it? xx, Alex

Abstract. Oxidative damage is associated with neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's disease (AD). The antioxidant alpha-lipoic acid has been found to improve memory in mouse models of AD. Here, we administered alpha-lipoic acid daily to SAMP8 mice starting at 11 months of age and continuing until death. We found that treatment with alpha-lipoic acid decreased survival from 34 weeks in those receiving vehicle to 20 weeks. A subset of 18 month old mice given alpha-lipoic acid for two weeks and then tested in an object-place recognition paradigm had improved memory. A second subset of 18 month old mice given alpha-lipoic acid for two weeks and tested in the Barnes maze had improved learning. After testing, the mice were sacrificed and indices of oxidative damage were measured in the brain tissue. The mice that received alpha-lipoic acid had significantly increased glutathione and decreased glutathione peroxidase and malondialdehyde indicating reversal of oxidative stress. These results indicate that alpha-lipoic acid improves memory and reverses indices of oxidative stress in extremely old SAMP8 mice, but decreases lifespan. These findings are similar to studies using other types of antioxidants."
    Effect of alpha-lipoic acid on memory, oxid... [J Alzheimers Dis. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    What food is this found in?

EDIT - Internet says we make it intrinsically. Augmentation would be senseless, then.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 03-27-2013 at 11:16 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

peril is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    My takeaway from this is not to supplement antioxidants. Stick to eating nutrient dense foods with their own antioxidants
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine