Thread: Nutrition book for kids about 8-12yo or a teen? page

Little Women is offline Member

Nutrition book for kids about 8-12yo or a teen?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am a homeschooler, and am working on planning out a human body study for my 5th grader, next year. I'd like to cover nutrition, as well, but the books I'm aware of are not ones I will agree with, particularly regarding fats and grains. I've seen at least one book for preschoolers from a primal/paleo perspective, but that one is WAY too young for a 10yo.

I will also have a 13yo, who will do a different science program, but would probably read anything I could find to give her.

Does anyone here know of a book I could use to teach nutrition to my 10yo or for my 13yo to read?

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    At 13 yo, I would probably go with the books you read. What convinced you to believe Paleo-Primal was proper/right/accurate? Use those. And also - nutrition is one of those things that has to be modeled in the home to be believable to a kid. I am assuming that you are "living proof", as it were, that this WOE works, and if that is the case, you supply real-life evidence.

I have nothing specific for the 10 yo, but why not pull in that young book, anyway? I homeschool as well, and we never shy away from any book, above, at, or below grade level, if the info is accurate/appropriate for what I am teaching. One of the joys of schooling your own - everything can be used as an educational resource. If I find something, I will let you know!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

I'm thinking I might go through and mark the "standard" nutrition book I have (Janice VanCleave's Food and Nutrition), skipping one or two chapters (food pyramid) and some sentences or paragraphs (....so don't eat much saturated fat....). The rest of the info is pretty good, so it might still be pretty usable.

I went through and crossed out a couple sentences here and there, and made notes of 1-2 chapters to skip entirely. The rest of the book is really good, and I think I can use most of it. Not something I want to just hand to her, but since we do a lot of our science together, I think it will work.