Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defatting nuts? page

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member

Defatting nuts?

Shop Now
    This is a bit of a strange question but does anyone know of any methods for extracting the fat from nuts, in such a way that the nut is not destroyed? Shea butter, for example, is made by roasting the seed till its completely burnt, and then crushing it, etc etc... but is there any way to get the oils out without losing the nut?

Zach is offline Banned
    What for?

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Most oil extraction processes from seeds/grain are either mechanical pressing, or chemical extraction, which uses a lot of nasty chemicals. It's okay for getting oil out of algae, or rapeseed, 'cause...well... who would eat that? .... oh, wait...

Anyways, no, not that I'm aware of, unless you are willing to use a lot of nasty chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    What for?
    Again, it's a little weird... I love nuts but am looking to get around the pufa issue by extracting the fat.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    Again, it's a little weird... I love nuts but am looking to get around the pufa issue by extracting the fat.
    Yea thats a tough one. There is no way to actually de-fat a nut without destroying the nut but you could look into sprouting and roasting to see if they have any effects on the PUFA content. Also eating along side some coconut might displace the pufa, making sure you get vitamin E could also help. There might even be other things you could eat along side the nuts that could off set the pufa content but i am not sure.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    Um, I don't think that's going to work. Pufa stands for poly unsaturated fatty acid. The fat has all the pufa. The rest is mostly fiber and a bit of carbs. Nothing worth eating.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I don't really eat nuts, except here and there as an ingredient in recipes. I could take them or leave them. I used to really, really love bread though. I haven't replaced it with faux bread, or some kind of sprouted, fermented, magic sour dough. I mostly just gave it up. I have some of the real thing, now and then, less and less as time goes by.

I think if you really believe a particular food is not in the best interests of your health, it's best just to give it up. That's my (long term) plan for beer.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Kool is offline Senior Member
    Powdered peanut butter,PB 2, is defatted nut product you could buy though it is peanut butter so it's not entirely primal...tastes great though, low calorie snack and cures my peanut cravings!
    Mix it in almond milk and BOOM BOOM BOOM dessert

Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    Powdered peanut butter,PB 2, is defatted nut product you could buy though it is peanut butter so it's not entirely primal...tastes great though, low calorie snack and cures my peanut cravings!
    Mix it in almond milk and BOOM BOOM BOOM dessert
    Funnily enough, I used to be a fiend for pb2 before going primal/paleo. I wonder if the defatting process removes some of the worrisome traits associated with peanuts... thanks for the suggestion!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    By warming and grinding nuts, then pressing them, you could extract the oil, leaving a hard paste that contains protein and fiber and could be used as a flour. Sounds equipment-intensive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast