Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Defatting nuts? page 3

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Eat beans. That's nuts sans fat.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Cathartes is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    Here's my logic: Mark says there's a few main problems with peanuts.
    1. aflotoxins, a bacteria from the ground which appears in many crops. However, the process used to make peanut butter reduces aflotoxins by around 89%.
    2. agglutinin, a lectin which in some in vitro (not in vivo) studies showed a correlation with colon cancer cells. These studies don't show much about what happens when peanuts are ingested, however -- and there are some studies which show that frequent intake of peanuts and peanut products was linked to a lowered incidence of colorectal cancer in Taiwanese women
    3. the oils, apart from being largely pufa, might be atherogenic... however, not only is this merely speculative, but pb2 is ground peanuts with the oils removed -- which renders this a non-issue.

Unless anyone can think of something I'm missing, I'll probably go for it. As they say, "nobody gets out alive" -- and as a healthy 21 year-old, my main reason for being primal is effortless weight maintenance. Pb2 seems like it could be a pretty handy tool in my pantry.
    Yeah, it seems as if the main issue with PB2 would be the aflotoxins, because anything related to the fats is no longer an issue, but as you mentioned, the peanut butter-making process removes most of the aflotoxins.

Also, Mark said that "grinding the peanuts into butter removed another 11% of the aflatoxin, probably because of the heat (not the actual grinding)," and if the heat is the thing that reduces aflotoxins, it seems like PB2 undergoes more heat-processing than regular peanut butter (because of the dehydration process, etc). So it might have even more than 89% of the original aflotoxins removed.

Thanks for this thread, by the way, because I was looking at PB2 literally two days ago, considering ordering it. I was also thinking that, in addition to its other tasty possibilities, it would be great in Thai dishes. Like you I'm healthy, trim, and in my early twenties, so I'm interested in balancing continued health and healthy eating with living it up and enjoying life.

Cathartes is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I can sometimes buy pistachio meal, which is the leftover nut meal from them removing the oil. I add it to pesto and it's pretty good. It's powdery. I couldn't see eating it by itself. I wouldn't go through all that trouble to eliminate nut fats from your diet. Just do things the easy way. Eat nuts in moderation, eat plenty of oily fish and other sources of Omega-3.
    Oooh, the pistachio pesto sounds delicious. Where do you buy pistachio meal? (I am very intrigued...pesto is awesome)

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    This is a bit of a strange question but does anyone know of any methods for extracting the fat from nuts, in such a way that the nut is not destroyed? Shea butter, for example, is made by roasting the seed till its completely burnt, and then crushing it, etc etc... but is there any way to get the oils out without losing the nut?
    Not sure what you mean by "nut not destroyed"...not ground?

Maybe by making nut butter and then using a "nut milk bag" to squeeze out the oil, or at least let it separate on its own?

Otherwise, just buy cashew or almond flour from nuts.com.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123