Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Defatting nuts? page 2

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well I spent longer than I should have googling this, and as that is the case I figure I may as well share my findings, though I think this probably is not a worthwhile enterprise.

Lots of people online say that almond flour (as opposed to almond meal) is usually partially defatted, but calorie counts suggest otherwise.

De-Fat The Nuts, Freezer Burn "Fix", Re-Use Those Dryer Sheets, Free Stud Finder For Remodelers and MORE! is one thing you could try. I have no idea how much fat would actually leech out of a chopped nut when you roast it.

And finally, this was just bizarre, I read a US patent from 1990 (just google "how to defat nuts" -- it was the first result). Apparently this is like a common problem for crazy food scientists, and there must not be a good way to do this (besides as a by-product of making nut oil) otherwise we'd all be able to buy low fat roasted nuts in a jar at the grocery store.

Oh another idea: you could buy a "natural" nut butter and then waste the oil on top.

But like I said, don't pay attention to any of these things. I just didn't want to feel like I completely wasted half an hour.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I had read an actual study, pointing out the fact that only about half of the fats in nuts is actually absorbed and metabolized by our bodies.

My personal experience from eating plenty of nuts and their butters has kinda proven that also. Just don't ask me how I knew, cause the answer is kinda in the tmi category.

I'd say don't worry about it. PUFAS or what not, if it's natural, whole food.....

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    and how many nuts are you eating?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    Well I spent longer than I should have googling this, and as that is the case I figure I may as well share my findings, though I think this probably is not a worthwhile enterprise.

Lots of people online say that almond flour (as opposed to almond meal) is usually partially defatted, but calorie counts suggest otherwise.

De-Fat The Nuts, Freezer Burn "Fix", Re-Use Those Dryer Sheets, Free Stud Finder For Remodelers and MORE! is one thing you could try. I have no idea how much fat would actually leech out of a chopped nut when you roast it.

And finally, this was just bizarre, I read a US patent from 1990 (just google "how to defat nuts" -- it was the first result). Apparently this is like a common problem for crazy food scientists, and there must not be a good way to do this (besides as a by-product of making nut oil) otherwise we'd all be able to buy low fat roasted nuts in a jar at the grocery store.

Oh another idea: you could buy a "natural" nut butter and then waste the oil on top.

But like I said, don't pay attention to any of these things. I just didn't want to feel like I completely wasted half an hour.
    interesting stuff... your time wasn't wasted, I actually read all of it and found it interesting!

noodletoy -- for the past few months I've been eating no nuts whatsoever (I had one glass of almondmilk back in February but considering how many almonds go into a single cup, it's really negligible). I miss them though, which is why I'm interested in this topic.

Honestly, I might just go with PB2. The big issues with peanuts seem to be eliminated through the grinding process and the fat removal process.

Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    I wonder what Mark or any other Primal experts would say about the stuff? Maybe he'll feature it on an "Is It Primal?" series on the site. I love it and I would jump for joy if it turned out to be less harmful than regular peanuts or peanut butter! I mean, the only ingredients are peanuts, sugar, and salt (and cocoa powder, with the chocolate one.) I mean, the verdict would probably come to be "not primal" but maybe he'd say it's okay for a once in a while type of thing.

I can always dream... lol.
    Here's my logic: Mark says there's a few main problems with peanuts.
    1. aflotoxins, a bacteria from the ground which appears in many crops. However, the process used to make peanut butter reduces aflotoxins by around 89%.
    2. agglutinin, a lectin which in some in vitro (not in vivo) studies showed a correlation with colon cancer cells. These studies don't show much about what happens when peanuts are ingested, however -- and there are some studies which show that frequent intake of peanuts and peanut products was linked to a lowered incidence of colorectal cancer in Taiwanese women
    3. the oils, apart from being largely pufa, might be atherogenic... however, not only is this merely speculative, but pb2 is ground peanuts with the oils removed -- which renders this a non-issue.

Unless anyone can think of something I'm missing, I'll probably go for it. As they say, "nobody gets out alive" -- and as a healthy 21 year-old, my main reason for being primal is effortless weight maintenance. Pb2 seems like it could be a pretty handy tool in my pantry.

Lumifer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    Again, it's a little weird... I love nuts but am looking to get around the pufa issue by extracting the fat.
    By the time you extract the fat, what remains will look (and taste) nothing like the nuts you love.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    use low fat nuts like chestnuts.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I can sometimes buy pistachio meal, which is the leftover nut meal from them removing the oil. I add it to pesto and it's pretty good. It's powdery. I couldn't see eating it by itself. I wouldn't go through all that trouble to eliminate nut fats from your diet. Just do things the easy way. Eat nuts in moderation, eat plenty of oily fish and other sources of Omega-3.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

just tried my first chestnut, can't say I'm a fan... it was a good idea though

14all is offline Junior Member
    I'm a late comer to this thread, but I have to say. I checked out pb2 and found FitNutz.
    Ive been using the chunky and I am quite pleased.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast