Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Dry skin supplements for dogs

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    177

    Dry skin supplements for dogs

    Hi all,

    I have a foster puppy (approx 3 mo old, looks like a tiny german shepherd, she's only 6lb) and she has crazy dry skin. It's not fleas or mites, just dry skin. My boston terrier also has chronic dry skin, but we eliminated grains from his diet and it is loads better. I can't do that with the foster, I'm contractually obligated to feed her the shelter food (Hill's Science Diet, ugh). What else can I do to help her? She is recovering from her spay so no oatmeal shampoo bath for a few more days. I'm thinking oil supplements? I have coconut, flaxseed, fish oil- anyone have any recommendations as to which will be the most helpful? Or is there something else I should try? She is set for a dog show and to hopefully find her forever home at the end of April, I'd like to have this somewhat under control by then.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    677
    Dermcaps are what my vet gave me for my dogs uncomfortable itchy skin. You can get them from Amazon I think.
    Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
    Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    180
    My dog has non-food allergies that flare up occasionally and it causes his skin to get so red and rashy it looks like he has mange. I bathe him once a week, sometimes I can go two, in Cortisoothe shampoo and I used the Cortisoothe lotion several times a week as well.

    This seemed to keep his skin decent in between major flare ups but lately I've been using beef tallow and it's working wonders. I only use the Cortisoothe lotion right after a bath and every other day I use a small amount of beef tallow around his ears, his feet, legs, arm pits, and belly area. I started using it on my face several months ago and it's so amazing that I thought it might work for my dog too. It does! His skin is so much better. He's a pit bull so has very short hair but I'm not sure how well it would work on longer haired dogs. The only downside is I have to keep my cats away from him for an hour or so or the poor thing gets licked to death lol.

    When I say beef tallow I mean a homemade cream of about a cup of tallow, 2 T avocado oil, and essential oils to take the beefy smell away. It's ridiculously easy and so amazing! The exact recipe is all over the internet. It didn't take much for me to jump on board the Primal Paleo way of eating but I was more resistant to jump on the all natural skin and hair care bandwagon. This beef tallow is amazing though!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by 0Angel0 View Post
    My dog has non-food allergies that flare up occasionally and it causes his skin to get so red and rashy it looks like he has mange. I bathe him once a week, sometimes I can go two, in Cortisoothe shampoo and I used the Cortisoothe lotion several times a week as well.

    This seemed to keep his skin decent in between major flare ups but lately I've been using beef tallow and it's working wonders. I only use the Cortisoothe lotion right after a bath and every other day I use a small amount of beef tallow around his ears, his feet, legs, arm pits, and belly area. I started using it on my face several months ago and it's so amazing that I thought it might work for my dog too. It does! His skin is so much better. He's a pit bull so has very short hair but I'm not sure how well it would work on longer haired dogs. The only downside is I have to keep my cats away from him for an hour or so or the poor thing gets licked to death lol.

    When I say beef tallow I mean a homemade cream of about a cup of tallow, 2 T avocado oil, and essential oils to take the beefy smell away. It's ridiculously easy and so amazing! The exact recipe is all over the internet. It didn't take much for me to jump on board the Primal Paleo way of eating but I was more resistant to jump on the all natural skin and hair care bandwagon. This beef tallow is amazing though!
    Tallow makes a lot of sense. I will have to keep this in mind!
    I have/do use fish body/krill/salmon oil. It's usually advisable to use Vitamin E with the O3 if at all possible. I ordered some O3/Vitamin E (combination) capsules from b-naturals.com. Great company to work with, they have been very helpful since my oldest dog was diagnosed with a heart problem.
    Dogaware.com has a lot of great go-to articles for diets/supplementation, as well as health problems (as does the b-naturals.com site).
    I've used coconut oil before. My dogs didn't care for the flavor right away. Picky assholes B)
    One of my dogs is severely intolerant/allergic to grains. Using oatmeal shampoo was a big no-no for him. He can't eat oatmeal without breaking out, so why I thought slathering it (in soap form) all over him and leaving it sit for 10 minutes before rinsing was a good idea is beyond me.
    A friend of mine has 4 chronically itchy dogs on a raw-grain-free diet. Dinovite is the only supplement that has helped calm the hot spots and bring their coats back. Too bad about the Science Diet. My PP dog would be dead or in really rough shape were it not for finally going raw :/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    113
    If you really want to help this dog, I would try dropping grains from her diet too or switch to a more premium dog food otherwise you are stuck.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    3,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    If you really want to help this dog, I would try dropping grains from her diet too or switch to a more premium dog food otherwise you are stuck.
    +1 Our dog's itchy skin cleared up in less than a week after we took him off the grains.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    177
    Thanks all, I'll look at dogaware.com and also at those dermcaps. She has a thick coat so I don't want anything applied topically, although I will keep the tallow rub in mind for my boston. I thought about just switching her over to what my dogs eat, I know it would absolutely help, but I don't want the shelter to tell her new family she's been on Science Diet if she hasn't been, that could cause a lot of tummy trouble for her and might frustrate her new owners

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    180
    Personally I would stay away from the Dermacaps. I don't see why a dog needs to injest plant oils. IMO it's fish oil cut with cheaper plant oil.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    71
    Fish oil would be best.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Badkty22 View Post
    I'm contractually obligated to feed her the shelter food (Hill's Science Diet, ugh).

    Thanks!
    UGH is right... & thats probably whats behind the problem..

    You could try adding tinned sardines (in olive or sunflower oil) to her food, start with small amounts and work up to about 1/2 a tin a day which will help ...
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

    http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •