Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry skin supplements for dogs page 2

Kool is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I heard Solid Gold uses less grains in their dog food, so that might help.
    Do you have a local Chuck & Don's Pet food outlet? They usually sell cheaper dog food.
    dog.com sells cheaper dog food too! they have a 15% off thing going on

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    I heard Solid Gold uses less grains in their dog food, so that might help.
    Do you have a local Chuck & Don's Pet food outlet? They usually sell cheaper dog food.
    dog.com sells cheaper dog food too! they have a 15% off thing going on
    It isn't a question of cost, I would happily feed her the grain free diet my dogs are on, but the shelter was very explicit that she eat the food they provided. I am giving her higher quality treats, but of course that won't offset the lower quality meals.

@ Dino- thanks for the suggestion, I will get a couple tins at the market today and see if she takes to it.

VADogWalker is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badkty22 View Post
    It isn't a question of cost, I would happily feed her the grain free diet my dogs are on, but the shelter was very explicit that she eat the food they provided. I am giving her higher quality treats, but of course that won't offset the lower quality meals.
    Yikes.... this is distressing to hear. And there's no medical reason why the dog needs to have this food, right, just because the shelter said so? I'm guessing it's something like "Kirklands" generic dog food or something?

If you genuinely can't change the dog's food (which would be the number one solution), I highly recommend adding fish oil and vitamin E to the dog's food. My husband and I did English Bulldog rescue/fostering for years and they have notorious horrible skins issues. The added fish oils/E made a world of difference.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    are you allowed to supplement the food? like with eggs, salmon, chicken skin, etc? naturally fatty foods?

i'd worry that dosing a dog with oil might cause a bowel "control" issue.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    I had my dog on the Prescription Diet food, as per our vet - as a way to help with her accidents, coz she was peeing all the damn time. I couldn't afford that stuff. I am on a email listing with a rescue group where I had adopted my other Boston Terrier and everyone there was on-board with keeping the grains out of the foods. I picked up a bag of Taste of the Wild at Tractor Supply (recommended by multiples of adopters in the list) - it's a reasonably priced food and grain free. I transitioned her from the Prescription Diet to Taste of the Wild. I usually get a bag of the High Prairie mix (bison/venison/fruits/veggies) and she also loves the Pacific Stream mix (salmon/sweet potatoes). The great thing is, the constant peeing has stopped since I got her off the grains. Her coat is much nicer now and she has stopped licking her paws and scratching all the time.

I understand that the shelter thinks that they are providing the "best food" for the dogs, but is there any way that they would actually know that you are feeding something else ?
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orannhawk View Post
    I understand that the shelter thinks that they are providing the "best food" for the dogs, but is there any way that they would actually know that you are feeding something else ?
    This! If the food isn't agreeing with the dog then the shelter can suck it IMO. A lot of shelters and rescues are control freaks like that and if they're anything like some of the ones out here they're full of well meaning idiots. Do what you think is right by the dog.

Little Women is offline Member
    You have to feed her this, but do you have to feed her ONLY this? Could you add some fats, eggs, etc?

My dog also does much better if I wash her with Dr. Bronner's Castile soap (unscented) than with any of the "dog shampoos" out there. I know you can't do that for awhile, but as soon as you can, I'd give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by 0Angel0 View Post
    This! If the food isn't agreeing with the dog then the shelter can suck it IMO. A lot of shelters and rescues are control freaks like that and if they're anything like some of the ones out here they're full of well meaning idiots. Do what you think is right by the dog.
    Lol! I'm new to animal volunteering in general and this particular organization specifically so I can't say for certain yet how well-meaning and/or idiotic they are. It did strike me as strange they were so insistent on this food. If I'm willing to pay for a better food why would that be an issue?

As far as I am concerned I can supplement her food if I want. I have her for another month, I'm going to add in some fatty real foods and see if there is any progress. If not, I'll transition her to a grain-free food. Shhh, no one tell the shelter. If they find out I'm taking all you rules-questioning, thinking types down with me!

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badkty22 View Post
    Lol! I'm new to animal volunteering in general and this particular organization specifically so I can't say for certain yet how well-meaning and/or idiotic they are. It did strike me as strange they were so insistent on this food. If I'm willing to pay for a better food why would that be an issue?
    I hope you have a better experience than I have. My worst was when I found the sweetest little chihuahua puppy in skid row in downtown LA. All I wanted to do was put him on display in a local rescue's kennels in Petsmart on Saturdays so he'd get more exposure. I paid for food, medical bills, his neuter, trained him myself, everything. This rescue handed me a list of do's and dont's that went from how to handle him at home to what kind of food to feed him. They wanted me to sign a contract saying that they had full control over who would adopt him and I had to get their permission first. Even if I found the person on my own. Screw that!! And don't even get me started on the Pit Bull rescues. Although the breed's rep is in such bad shape that I have a little more tolerance for their control issues and making sure the dogs go into solid homes.

I found a wonderful family in Beverly Hills (friends of friends of a friend) that fell in love with the little guy and he's healthy and happy with them to this day. Luckily the dog literally going from Skid Row to Beverly Hills makes up for the annoying control freak rescue. If I didn't have my hands full with my own pets that's the one foster I would have kept. He was adorable and so sweet. Not like the sterotypical snappy mean chihuahua.

Wow, that is crazy. I've heard that about some rescues, they go so overboard that they scare adopters away. Where is the sense in that?! Talk about letting perfect be the enemy of good.

I'm glad your little foster found a good home, I'm hoping mine does as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12