Thread: What do I do with a lamb breast? page

Markbt is offline Senior Member

Talking What do I do with a lamb breast?

Primal Fuel
    I was just at walmart and saw a package of two lamb breasts for about $6. Unknown cuts of a delicious animal at a suspiciously low price? Needless to say, I bought it.

Now, what is this thing and what do I do with it?

It has what looks like rib bones attached and the two pieces are somewhat large, so I was thinking of using the slow cooker or roasting it, but any suggestions would be great. I think I might be eating a lot of these if it turns out well.

Thanks!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'd slow cook or roast it.

Take a bulb of garlic, and peel the individual pieces (about 10). Using a knife, skewer holes into the meat and push the garlic into it. Rub the outside of the meat with salt, pepper and basil. If the lamb is fatty then don't add extra fat, if not, add 'enough' fat (if very lean, maybe 3T of ghee). Add root vegetables and onions to the slow cooker and put it on for 8 hours all day.

I would also take out some meat juice and make gravy with it right before serving, and serve with some steamed broccoli as well.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 03-27-2013 at 02:39 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

That sounds awesome and it might be my dinner tomorrow! Thanks!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I think the "breast" of beef or lamb typically refers to the equivalent of a pork "belly." I'd slow-cooker it. It should be quite fatty.

It is crammed in the slow cooker right now with root vegetables, celery, spices, and fresh rosemary. Looks like it will be pretty good. It does have quite a bit of fat on it, which the vegetables should soak up.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Markbt View Post
    It is crammed in the slow cooker right now with root vegetables, celery, spices, and fresh rosemary. Looks like it will be pretty good. It does have quite a bit of fat on it, which the vegetables should soak up.
    You chose wisely, my friend.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I've only cooked lamb breast once and I smoked it. I put a crazy spice rub concoction on it that had lots of cumin in it. It rendered out a TON of fat, like two cups worth. It was very delicious, but after all the fat had rendered off, there was not a ton of meat left.

Salixisme is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I used to cook with lamb breast all the time when I lived in the uk -it was cheap and we were poor.

I used to cut it between the ribs (and slice the remaining flesh into strips), boil it for a short while, coat it in some kind of sauce (from memory I want to say sweet and sour) and then bake it in the oven for a time...

Kind of like pork ribs really, but lamby.

I would cook them just like you would cook ribs... but don't expect it to taste like pork
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Dr. Seuss