Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Becoming an Iron Girl. page 3

IronGirl is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks guys! Ew, Robin how dare anyone comment on your eating in a negative way when you are eating HEALTH FOOD all the time!?!?! So weird.

This morning was the second week of my CrossFit "elements" course. Last week, we went through all of the exercises, which was physically challenging (lots of sore muscles!) but not as bad cardio-wise. This week, we do actual XFit workouts. This morning was a 500 meter run, then five rounds of 15 jumping jacks, 15 mountain climbers and 10 air squats--and that was the warm up. I never really recovered from that because the run made me gasp so hard for air that I felt sick right from the start--then we had the actual workout. That was 3 rounds, and in each round you started with a 500 meter row on the rowing machine, then you run back to grab a wall ball and do 30 of those (that's where you throw a medicine ball in the air, then catch it in a full squat, so you get it in the arms and then in the legs), then 30 kettle bell swings (where you swing the bell between your legs and up to eye level using your hips/butt muscles), the second round you do 20 of each, then third round you do 10. Because I never really recovered from the run at the beginning of the warm up, my throat burned and I felt nauseus the whole time. When I was done, my legs were shaking like a newborn deer and I understood what "intensity" is in a workout. The actual workout took me about 20 minutes. I drove home with such a red face from exertion, shaky legs, sick-feeling tummy and sweat dripping everywhere and tried to remember all those 20 minute stationary bike sessions where I'd read my little book on my iPad or watch some TV. Then I thought about a Tumblr picture I saw on "Funeral For My Fat" the other day. It said: "If you need a magazine to get through the boredom of your workout, you're doing it wrong."

I could barely hold the steering wheel after my workout, let alone a magazine. I think I'm doing it right!
    I feed my healthy cells and starve the rest.

Waist circumference:
    50(start)/40.5(current)/35>(goal)

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by IronGirl View Post
    Thanks guys! Ew, Robin how dare anyone comment on your eating in a negative way when you are eating HEALTH FOOD all the time!?!?! So weird.

"If you need a magazine to get through the boredom of your workout, you're doing it wrong."
    I could barely hold the steering wheel after my workout, let alone a magazine. I think I'm doing it right!
    Choco just figures if you are not doing it HIS way and automatically accept the unquestionable wisdom of his 23 years on this planet, then you must be "doing it wrong". I swear that child makes my rolleyes icon get tired.

Yes, you are doing it right. Just be careful. It sounds like you are really pushing it in a good way right now but be willing to back off if the borderline between soreness and injury gets crossed. Just be aware. Xfit can be a real blast but I have heard lots of stories about people getting so *into* it that they hurt themselves.

I can definitely see how that happens. It is completely scaleable, so that instead of running the full 500 meters I can walk/run to avoid an asthma exacerbation, or instead of squatting with weight I can air squat, etc., but the atmosphere gets very competitive and you feel like you don't want to drag your "team" down. I can see how it is near-irresistable to push yourself way too far to try and keep up with the group. But I'm (1) not a group-following type person to begin with (I think you're with me on that one!), and (2) I'm in a group with people that are WAY more fit than I am, so I just assume if I know it, they know it (they can SEE I assume!), and so I know they should expect that I'm not able to keep up with them (and I'm not). If I tried I would definitely hurt myself. But it's nice to have something to aspire to!

Waist circumference:

I'm so excited because I finally tried cooking fish other than salmon for dinner last night. I never really try because the good stuff tends to be expensive and I'm afraid to mess it up, since I wasn't raised cooking it and didn't really know how. I just dove in and bought a big piece of halibut, sliced it into servings, froze some and sprinkled my portion in salt & pepper & lime juice, and tossed it in a hot sautee pan with some olive oil. It cooked so fast and easy! And it was DELICIOUS, so tender and meaty, and I ate it with a huge scoop of guacamole and DH was super-jealous. Now I am so relieved that I have something other than stupid chicken to cook when I'm out of (or not in the mood for) steak. Yay halibut!

Waist circumference:

Not losing any weight (back up to 226 this AM), so I'm thinking nuts are the culprit. Highly caloric and easy to overeat, so I'm cutting those out for a while. Also, I'm cutting down to one serving of heavy cream a day. It's gotten very easy with the heat to start drinking ice coffee all day, and each one has heavy cream. I'm just having one in the morning (50 cals.) now so that should fix the problem.

I had such a great workout this AM and I am really loving the confidence these extremely challenging workouts give me. Also, I'm finally having that wonderful fat-burning effect of not being starving if I have to go an extra hour or two without food. It makes such a difference to be able to feel a hunger pang, think "I will not have a chance to eat for two hours," and not be terrified (like I used to be). Instead, the hunger pang passes and doesn't return for hours. Amazing.

Waist circumference:

Patti is offline Senior Member
    Your CrossFit seems exciting and challenging. Looks as if you won't be bored with exercise anytime soon. Congratulations on pushing through and tossing away the workout time magazine in favor of constant motion. Have you recovered from the workout yet?

The heavy cream is so delicious with coffee, I agree that it's easy to over-consume. Have fun with the tweaking! Although, is it possible that the weight gain is muscle from the new workout routine?

Regarding the hunger pangs - don't you feel a rush of power when you can ignore them and they go away? Right now I can tell that my body is replenishing depleted stores of nutrients, but that isn't going to last for much longer and can already feel a surge of control that hasn't been there in years.

Paleobird Guest
    I'm so excited because I finally tried cooking fish other than salmon for dinner last night. Now I am so relieved that I have something other than stupid chicken to cook when I'm out of (or not in the mood for) steak. Yay halibut!
    Good. Much better for your O3 levels plus the added bonus of sorting out your iodine level.

Not losing any weight (back up to 226 this AM), so I'm thinking nuts are the culprit. Highly caloric and easy to overeat, so I'm cutting those out for a while. Also, I'm cutting down to one serving of heavy cream a day. It's gotten very easy with the heat to start drinking ice coffee all day, and each one has heavy cream. I'm just having one in the morning (50 cals.) now so that should fix the problem.
    Yep. It adds up. A little plop here and there, before you know it that is an extra 500 calories in your day. And I agree, nuts only come in one serving size, all that is in the house. Better to just leave them out for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post
    Although, is it possible that the weight gain is muscle from the new workout routine?
    Patti is on to something here. Plus you may be experiencing some water retention in the muscles. If you are feeling sore, you probably are.

Thanks for the support, ladies. I'm definitely sore, so I'm sure that's part of it. But...
    nuts only come in one serving size, all that is in the house
    That's also got to be part of it!

Did my final "elements" CrossFit course so starting on Monday I'm in with the big kids doing the real, full deal. I can't really imagine how it can get harder than this, so that should be interesting.

Waist circumference:

Paleobird Guest
    I don't recall if you ever said how tall you are. I was just thinking about your waist goal and trying to relate it to height.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "Do not measure your beginning against someone else's middle."

Remember that at Crossfit and don't hurt yourself.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast