Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Becoming an Iron Girl. page 2

IronGirl is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Had my crossfit "elements" class today, we went through proper form for all kinds of squats, sit-ups, push-ups, and rope climbing. My biceps are screaming and I like it! I am really into these extremely tough workouts, I just love seeing how much farther I can push myself than I thought I could.

B: 3 mini egg souffles with natural sausage and spinach, coffee
    L: burger on salad w/mustard and pickles
    D: some kind of meat with guacamole
    I feed my healthy cells and starve the rest.

Waist circumference:
    50(start)/40.5(current)/35>(goal)

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by IronGirl View Post
    I love how the article talks about us as predictors and says that as you eat enough meat you become less weak and "more dangerous." Something about that resonates...
    You really need to read The Gnoll Credo. I think you are ready for it. Not everyone is. I think you would "get" it.

If you buy it at this link, J.S. will even sign it for you.
    http://www.100wattpress.com/our-book...gcsignedcopies

I have found that there is a crossfit box within walking distance of my new place. I may have to check that out. If nothing else, maybe find some Primal guys and get sweaty with them.

just stopping by to say Hi...

Hey, I took a 5 day break from the web, and now I am so far behind in the threads and people I follow!
    Glad to see Paleobird here - I just read her success story today (because of the link in today's blog post by Susan Alexander. I thought I had read all the success stories, but never saw hers. There must be more places to find them than where I was looking...)
    Anyhow, this is a quote from her story:
    "This is where I would like to say to all newbies around here: READ THE BOOK FIRST before you listen to forum advice. In The Primal Blueprint there is an entire chapter on portion control and calorie targeting. Much of the forum “wisdom” however said to chuck your scale out the window and just eat your bacon and be happy and the pounds would fall off magically.
    Guess what. Didn’t happen. I gained back those first five plus five more and then read the book and realized I needed to cut portion sizes and get my calories under control. I think Taubes got part of the story right. There are good calories and bad calories, but even with just good ones, too much is still too much.
    I dialed back on all that yummy fat and increased my lean protein intake while cutting overall quantities of food. The scale started moving again and kept going down for another 35 pounds to 145, five pounds under my goal of 150 and a size 6 when my goal had been an 8."

I confess that I am a newbie and I have the book, but have not gotten to that chapter! And I get so pissed whenever I read about newbies who miraculously loose 20 pounds after 30 days of just giving up grains and still being couch potatoes!
    Well, I did not have that kind of success, and despite days of less than 50 grams of carbs in ketosis, the weight is barely leaving me (I can feel that I've gotten smaller in my butt and thighs, but my waist is still thick!)
    I don't enter everything I eat into MFP so I don't know the exact calorie count. But I haven't learned to stop grazing, and I still want to eat when I get upset. I also think I've got conflicting information on high fat/moderate protein and high protein/moderate fat...
    I don't know where I'm going here, I think I'm just rambling but I can't stop typing... Keep doing what you're doing - you and Paleobird and so many people inspire me and keep me going. I learn something new every day, I just don't always practice it enough.
    "Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I'm worried what you just heard was, 'Give me a lot of bacon and eggs.' What I said was, 'Give me all the bacon and eggs you have'. Do you understand?" - Ron Swanson

I have found that there is a crossfit box within walking distance of my new place. I may have to check that out. If nothing else, maybe find some Primal guys and get sweaty with them
    Heehee--they better watch out, they're not ready for your sweltering self Robin! I will definitely check out that book after my test is over this weekend. I hope you have been well--thank you so much for continuing to visit my journal, I love seeing what you have to say!

You can do it desertcreature! The key thing is to not give up. Keep trying different things until something hits, because this IS the healthiest way to eat and it IS the way we were born to eat!

This Friday will be 2 weeks paleo for me, and I snuck a weigh-in this AM just to see what was happening. I'm down from 225 to 223 My arms and legs and back are SO SORE from all my crossfit classes, but for some psycho reason I love it. Here's how I'm feeling:

My clothes are fitting loosely!
    My neck is looking way less fat!
    My tummy is flattening out!
    I'm feeling so good and proud of myself!
    When I walk places, I want to throw little jogs in even though I'm not in a rush--but just because I can! I feel more *competent* with my body, a lot less like an oaf and a lot more like a gazelle!

Waist circumference:

Patti is offline Senior Member
    When I walk places, I want to throw little jogs in even though I'm not in a rush--but just because I can! I feel more *competent* with my body, a lot less like an oaf and a lot more like a gazelle!
    LOL - soon you'll be running like a lioness instead of a gazelle.

Isn't it amazing how much safer we feel when we know we can break into a sprint at the slightest whiff of danger? Weird in our society, but it does feel good. Not just to run if there is danger but to break into a sprint just for the sheer joy of it. It's been a few years since I've been able to break into a sprint, but I loved it when I could. Just added this to my list of goals!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by desertcreature View Post
    And I get so pissed whenever I read about newbies who miraculously loose 20 pounds after 30 days of just giving up grains and still being couch potatoes!
    Well, I did not have that kind of success, and despite days of less than 50 grams of carbs in ketosis, the weight is barely leaving me (I can feel that I've gotten smaller in my butt and thighs, but my waist is still thick!)
    I don't enter everything I eat into MFP so I don't know the exact calorie count. But I haven't learned to stop grazing, and I still want to eat when I get upset. I also think I've got conflicting information on high fat/moderate protein and high protein/moderate fat...
    Most of those who have the weight fall off like that are male and have a lot of weight to lose. It's not fair but it is what it is. You need to track for a while just to get an idea of where you stand. How can you change anything for the better if you don't really know what is happening now? The way I look at it is 1)Low carbs 2)ADEQUATE protein 3)Fill in the rest of the calorie budget with fat.

Paleobird Guest
    This Friday will be 2 weeks paleo for me, and I snuck a weigh-in this AM just to see what was happening. I'm down from 225 to 223 My arms and legs and back are SO SORE from all my crossfit classes, but for some psycho reason I love it. Here's how I'm feeling:

My clothes are fitting loosely!
    My neck is looking way less fat!
    My tummy is flattening out!
    I'm feeling so good and proud of myself!
    With all that xfitting you may be putting on some weight in muscle so the scale loss numbers are probably low. You are doing great. I am so pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post
    LOL - soon you'll be running like a lioness instead of a gazelle.
    Exactly what I was going to say. Learn to embrace being a predator.

Yay I love your comments ladies, thank you!

Well today is officially 2 full weeks of my super-strict eating and uber-awesome workout routine. Here are my results:

Weight: same as start at 225 (bounced down to 223 a few days ago, so I believe I'll get back down again soon). I think you're right, Robin, I am definitely putting on muscle and I'm not too worried about the scale because, dum dum dum:
    I lost: 1" on my arms, 1.5" on my chest (which I believe comes from my back fat--score!), 1" on my waist, and .5" on my hips.
    Most important result: I feel amazing. Confident. Beautiful. I don't walk places, I strut. I am so enjoying this PROCESS right now.

I love working out so hard and feeling so proud of myself. I love feeling my muscles and imagining how quickly I'll be able to see them. I love the food I get to eat. I was glowing all over the place the other morning at XFit, and one of the other girls overheard me saying I had lost inches already, and she asked what I was doing besides XFit and I told her Primal/Paleo--and she said "Oh, that's way too restrictive for me." I don't understand this thinking. When I was waiting in line for my coffee @ DD this morning, watching people order gross fake frosting covered stale fried bread and "cheese rolls," I thought how can anyone say I'm restricted in eating? Am I really feeling bad that I can't eat that? NO! Is it really "restrictive" for me to choose not to eat that garbage and experience the short and long term negative effects of that food? NO! Is it "restrictive" when I choose to eat absolutely delicious food that also happens to KILL MY CANCER, leave me feeling plesantly satisfied instead of stuffed, permits me to make it from one meal to the next without starving and crashing, gives me lost inches of fat in a two week period, will let me pull out from the back of my closet and wear my gorgeous and still-too-small clothes some day soon? NO!!! I started my day with three free-range chicken eggs, three thick slices of amazing nitrite-free turkey bacon, and three of the most perfect, delicious, huge baby tomatoes I've ever had in my life. Oh, and coffee with real, heavy whipping cream from grass fed cows. How is that restrictive?? Would I really be "free" if my breakfast was some sugar frosted grain product covered in bluish-white watery skim milk? Or unsatisfying air-filled, dry waffles that I'd have to cover in liquid sugar (syrup) to make them semi-edible? Or dry toast because heaven forbid I eat BUTTER? Ew! Instead, there are so many delicious options when it comes time to eat I just get excited and sometimes have trouble choosing. Real, crisp bacon crumbled over buttered broccoli, zucchini "noodles" in my favorite meat sauce, steak with sauteed mushrooms and onions, fluffy moist scrambled eggs with tomatoes and turkey bacon? My favorite right now is any type of protein with guacamole. Yummmmm.

How can I possibly stand to be so deprived?

Waist circumference:

Paleobird Guest
    I lost: 1" on my arms, 1.5" on my chest (which I believe comes from my back fat--score!), 1" on my waist, and .5" on my hips.
    Most important result: I feel amazing. Confident. Beautiful. I don't walk places, I strut. I am so enjoying this PROCESS right now.

Is it "restrictive" when I choose to eat absolutely delicious food that also happens to KILL MY CANCER.

Yeah, my little taquito buddy has told me that I suffer from "disordered eating" because I choose not to eat any carbs. I bet he would be singing a different tune post cancer.

You just keep on struttin', girl.

Patti is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yay I love your comments ladies, thank you!

Well today is officially 2 full weeks of my super-strict eating and uber-awesome workout routine. Here are my results:

Weight: same as start at 225 (bounced down to 223 a few days ago, so I believe I'll get back down again soon). I think you're right, Robin, I am definitely putting on muscle and I'm not too worried about the scale because, dum dum dum:

I love working out so hard and feeling so proud of myself. I love feeling my muscles and imagining how quickly I'll be able to see them. I love the food I get to eat.

Irongirl, you are my heroine! Congratulations on having come so far.

I'm muddling through with a Kindle tonight but will post more tomorrow.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast