Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite ways to prepare veggies? page 2

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In a stir fry: Everything (although usually the potatos/kumara/rice starch is boiled separately)
    In a slow cooker/casserole with something saucy: Everything (plus meat)

Roasted, in ghee, with salt and pepper: Potatoes, Kumara, Carrots, Onions
    Boiled with salt: Potatoes, Kumara, Carrots, Rice
    Steamed: Carrots, Broccoli, Kale, Spinach / other leafy greens

Fried: Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Courgettes, Onions (along with the usual protein suspects...)
    Raw: Lettuce, Tomatoes, Olives, grated carrot, other leafy greens
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

The preparation depends on the vegetable, usually. Steaming, roasting, sauteeing, grilling, eating raw.

Do you have some questions about particular veggies?

Try mixing things up from time to time. I usually steam my broccoli, toss with good butter, S&P (or sometimes EVOO with a few red pepper flakes). But roasted fresh broccoli, with some diced shallot (or onion), red pepper flake, S&P brings out some funky sweetness.

Throw eggplant slices on the grill, or grill whole and scoop out the insides - if you have a charcoal griller and can throw some hickory chips in, makes it irresistible. (Since we do dairy, I make un-breaded eggplant parm with char-grilled eggplant and tomatoes). Or you can blend the smoky eggplant with garlic, lemon juice, EVOO, and tahini to make a Primal dip for veggies (or whatever you're dipping) - also a nice sauce to put on grilled chicken.

Roasting brings out great flavors in Brussels sprouts and asparagus. Again, if you do dairy, a little shake of bleu cheese or goat cheese with the sprouts, and a few pecans or walnuts, make nice variations. Roast asparagus with a little lemon juice, EVOO, S&P is all you need - but you can also serve at room temp with grated hard-boiled egg.

Roast together a chopped head of cauliflower with 1 chopped onion, a few cloves of garlic, and whatever strays from the veg drawer you can find (carrot, tater, tomato), but mix first with curry powder and olive oil. When there's a little char on the veggies, remove and cool, and blend with stock for a nice soup. You can add cream, or coconut milk.

Combinations are endless. I always think proteins first and then build flavors using whatever veggies I have on hand. Since we do CSA shares, I also tend to do whatever's in season predominantly.

IronGirl is offline Member
    My mouth is watering!! Thanks all so far for amazing suggestions!

"Very thinly sliced cauliflower roasted until dark is great"
    How do you slice the cauliflower? Lengthwise, stem-up?--with a mandolin?

"roasted, sauteed or grilled"
    This sounds awesome, and I do cook, but I wonder how precisely you do these methods? How much butter or oil, how high a heat, for how long? I have a feeling other newbies would appreciate the info, too!

"(Since we do dairy, I make un-breaded eggplant parm with char-grilled eggplant and tomatoes). Or you can blend the smoky eggplant with garlic, lemon juice, EVOO, and tahini to make a Primal dip for veggies (or whatever you're dipping)"
    Dear lord that sounds amazing. Unfortunately I don't have a grill--I do have a grill pan, though, for stovetop...
    I feed my healthy cells and starve the rest.

Waist circumference:
    50(start)/40.5(current)/35>(goal)

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    -Mushrooms sauteed in butter.
    -Asparagus or cabbage, roasted. Just enough oil to coat them.
    -Spaghetti squash roasted and then either eaten with just a little salt and butter, or under some yummy sauce.
    -Zucchini, yellow crook necks, onions, peppers, sauteed in just about any fat I have on hand.
    -Frozen cauliflower creamed/pureed.
    -Brussel sprouts cut in half and fried in bacon fat.
    -Spinach, collard/mustard/turnip greens - varies. Toss them in broth. Spinach sauteed with tomato, garlic, and olive oil is my version of a cooked salad. Puree greens with cream and/or butter. Throw them into tomato sauce for more body.
    -Potatoes boiled and topped with butter. Boiled and tossed into stir fries, broth, or scrambled eggs. Also good in homemade corned beef hash.

In all of the above, just enough salt to sweat them. Nothing against salt, but I'm pretty sensitive taste wise to it and don't like it to overpower the taste of the food.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I slice the cauliflower from the stem up. You end up with a lot of fragments.

PrimalMama is online now Senior Member
    Kale Chips (save the stalks for a stir-fry or steam them!)

Roasted
    Sauteed
    Steamed (not my fave, but it works!)
    Tossed in a stir-fry (pop some good fat, onions, garlic, mushrooms into a pan, cook for a bit, add some well-sourced meat, kelp/zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice, crunchy veggies, spinach or other leafy greens, stir around a little bit, and serve)
    chopped up and folded into the center of an omelette
    raw - salad or on their own *chomp*

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Your mom was right after all about the vegetables Paleobird! So be a nice little girl now, and eat up the large carrot that you have "forgotten" on your plate...
    Mom also thought that brown rice and tofu were good for us. She did the best she could with the knowledge of her time.

But, to answer the OP non-flippantly. I do eat some veggies but more as a garnish or flavor enhancer to the meat. Examples: caramelized onions and mushrooms in a gorgonzola sauce over my steak yesterday. Oh yum. Bell pepper strips used as a delivery device for my liver pate'. Avocado/tomato fan salad. That is alternating avocado and tomato lengthwise slices laid out in a fan shape on the plate and drizzled with some oil and vinegar.

I also include a lot of non-plant veggies in my diet. Seaweed (algae) as a salad or in crunchy nori sheets (SeaSnax) and mushrooms (fungi). The more I research about these two types of non plant non animal foods, the more interesting they are.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 03-27-2013 at 02:17 PM.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Lately I've been making a green shake with a little raw broccoli, cucumber, spinach and avocado...I'm still experimenting with the combos and I'll also put in 1/2 banana for a little sweetness, whirled up in a NutriBullet.

I can't eat raw veggies (stomach issue), but this is a way for me to get them in.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

iambustanut is offline Junior Member
    Salt & Pepper, olive oil, maybe some red pepper flakes and into the oven til' the veggies get a little crispy, delish!

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Roasting will create a lot of flavor if any of the other methods prove boring. Roasting brussel sprouts is great, they get a ton of flavor and are especially delicious that way. Next thing I want to try is mixing curry seasoning with bacon fat, coating cauliflower and roasting it. Cooking bacon on a rack in the oven (400F 30min or so) will yield a lot of fat for use in coating your vegetables.
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast