Thread: Need some advise ... this women might just be hormonal! page

Lizard is offline Senior Member

Need some advise ... this women might just be hormonal!

I've been on the forum for a while, but had some health issues in the last past year... I'm going to try to make it short.

Last year March 2012 I had to remove cyst on ovairy and end of February this year again (another 3) (seems like the previous Gyno didn't do a proper diagnosed (scan)) and they were big... Anyway since last year March I left my Pill (Melodene) and gained 20lbs in less that a year and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in the beginning of January 2012 - that has been sorted out and my thyroid was normal by September 2012 and still.

I have been low/no carb for about 3 years and the last 6 months I've really been struggling with late night cravings, especially if I had a hard workout (right after dinner), exercise (muscle/energy weakness) and as soon as I add to much fat I gain weight. The best I can do at this stage is add fat once a day and still lose weight (at dinner to try to prevent the cravings). Any advise will be much appreciated. Also feel I might be consuming to much veggie (carbs) and protein, fruits are limited to 1/day, but might have to cut the dairy (cheese and yogurt) - want to lose 20lbs.

I think my metabolism might be haywire/slowed down completely / hormonal stress (been on a low carb/NO FAT diet before the operation). I haven't been eating red meat since I was 12 years old (only fish/chicken and recently started adding eggs), had low bloodpressure and iron difficiency then and as soon as I consumed meat I felt sleepy, stopped it and blood pressure and iron were normal afterwards. I'm currently 33 years old and what can the impact of no meat be to my health/no weight loss be on Primal??

How long does it take for you body to adjust to this Primal lifestyle - or is because I don't have to lose that much?
    Last edited by Lizard; 03-27-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    Nobody can imprison your power of imagination.

Restarted the journey:
    SW: 153lbs (Starting date - 05/08/2013)
    CW: 146lbs (13/08/2013)
    GW: 130lbs

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried adding more carbs? More starches and/or fruit? If you've been doing low/no-carb for 3 years and it's not doing what you want it to, perhaps it's time for a change.

I'm confused, are you eating red meat now? Are you eating meat now? How long have you been eating primal...or are you?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Have you tried adding more carbs? More starches and/or fruit? If you've been doing low/no-carb for 3 years and it's not doing what you want it to, perhaps it's time for a change.

I'm confused, are you eating red meat now? Are you eating meat now? How long have you been eating primal...or are you?
    I have been eating primal for about 6 months, but fell of the wagon about twice in the period, always return back to primal, cause I feel better eating this way (just do not want to gain anymore weight - planning on getting pregnant one of these day and want to get rid of the extra pounds).

I haven't had red meat in 20 years (but might consider it again), only fish, eggs and chicken, and a lot of veggies (and 1 fruit/day). What confuses me is the amount of fat intake daily, does it have to come from (olive oil/butter/coconut oil/avocado) or can it only be from fat in protein? I just have to find the balance that my body wants, and perhaps slowly add more fat....

Restarted the journey:

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hi Lizard, it does sound as if you have a few issues and will need to tread carefully, treating your body with care and respect in order to boost your health and energy levels. Diet IS important, and you have noticed how much better you feel when eating primally. The other aspects such as rest, exercise and destressing will also work together to help you find your balance.

It's great that you are eating eggs again, they are fully nutritious and easy to digest. I generally start the day with a two-egg vege omelette.

My favourite lunch is dinner leftovers ie meat and vegetables. Sometimes I make a salad with added feta, olives, avocado, nuts and olive oil.

For dinner I usually focus on meat such as beef or lamb. I prefer it tender so usually do it in the slowcooker or oven bake at 150 for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. A tough steak is not my idea of great eating, haha. Then I would have a couple of veges such as carrot and cauliflower with butter and spices.

It's pretty basic.

While I was losing weight I was careful not to have too much fruit or starchy veges but I eat more now. I did include the fat, as I have mentioned, but in limited quantities since I wanted to burn my own body fat. I don't think it matters where your fat comes from as long as it's not from horrid processed seed oils. I use dripping for cooking in, butter on my veges and olive oil on my salads. I haven't found coconut oil very useful or delicious at all.

I found the key to not getting too hungry was to make sure I had enough protein at every meal. Lunch is the hardest time to make sure of this. I would get hungry in the afternoon if the lunch was not satisfying enough.

Also, I did (and still do) a weights class twice a week, but I didn't go all out for strenuous exercise every day (and still don't).

Thx Annie will try that :-) It's the only lifestyle that balance everything out - so there must be a certain balance to make this work. :-)

Restarted the journey:

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest you choose to eat more bivalves and/or liver for the things your likely to be deficient in should you continue to avoid red meat. Also be sure to keep eating those egg yolks! Especially if your going to get pregnant at some point. Seaweed (long as your not hashimoto hypo) may be good addition too. Make sure you have your vitamin D and magnesium levels up to snuff by getting some sun and taking a few epsom salt baths a week while your at it. All these will help with your hormonal profile and metabolism.

Protein is vital when trying to lose weight. Not only does it increase your metabolism, but it aids in retaining lean mass.

Some form of strength training is also a must. Does not have to be more than 2x/week (and its likely that more would be detrimental). The PB fitness e-book would be fine for this. Or any program with compound movements with machines or weights would be fine.

I'm sorta leaning toward staying low carb for you with your history of ovarian cysts and whatnot. Seems to me low carb provides the best opportunity to prevent future issues in that respect, but there is the option of adding safe starches once every couple weeks or specifically timing them for right after your workouts for a refeed. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I would suggest you choose to eat more bivalves and/or liver for the things your likely to be deficient in should you continue to avoid red meat. Also be sure to keep eating those egg yolks! Especially if your going to get pregnant at some point. Seaweed (long as your not hashimoto hypo) may be good addition too. Make sure you have your vitamin D and magnesium levels up to snuff by getting some sun and taking a few epsom salt baths a week while your at it. All these will help with your hormonal profile and metabolism.

Protein is vital when trying to lose weight. Not only does it increase your metabolism, but it aids in retaining lean mass.

Some form of strength training is also a must. Does not have to be more than 2x/week (and its likely that more would be detrimental). The PB fitness e-book would be fine for this. Or any program with compound movements with machines or weights would be fine.

I'm sorta leaning toward staying low carb for you with your history of ovarian cysts and whatnot. Seems to me low carb provides the best opportunity to prevent future issues in that respect, but there is the option of adding safe starches once every couple weeks or specifically timing them for right after your workouts for a refeed. Good luck!

Neckhammer - thx for the info - I think there is a few things going on, it feels like I have a difficiency of some sort, feeling very fatigue, although being very active, it's hard to get going with my workouts, especially weight training (muscle weakness/lack of energy). I don't know if it migth be iron/magnesium dificiency and also think I might be lactose intolerant, so going to try and cut the dairy this week, cause I stay bloated (consume yogurt/cheese not to often). Perhaps I should get my blood tested again, dr's didn't pick anything up with my hormonal blood test, what do I ask the doctor to test for? Can you body be lacking salt, that can cause lack of energy, read a article last week.....

Strange enough a lot of my problems started last year March 2012 when I stopped taking "The Pill" - Melodene (gain about 20 lbs since then) after using it for about 13 years. Will never touch the stuff again...

Restarted the journey:

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Lizard-

When I first started low carbing to lose weight, I had some gastrointestinal issues that required me to eat low fat for almost a year. I lost well and suffered no negative effects from the low fat (mainly what was in the food I ate). When I began adding fat, I noticed that I did well with moderate fat (EVOO and butter) used in food preparation, but still no real emphasis on fat.

Due to all the hype about the need for high fat, I've tried that a couple of times and only succeeded in making myself ill. You should eat whole, unprocessed foods but leave the macros where you feel the best.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Lizard-

When I first started low carbing to lose weight, I had some gastrointestinal issues that required me to eat low fat for almost a year. I lost well and suffered no negative effects from the low fat (mainly what was in the food I ate). When I began adding fat, I noticed that I did well with moderate fat (EVOO and butter) used in food preparation, but still no real emphasis on fat.

Due to all the hype about the need for high fat, I've tried that a couple of times and only succeeded in making myself ill. You should eat whole, unprocessed foods but leave the macros where you feel the best.
    I have noticed if I lower my fat (maybe once a day at supper) and eat leaner meat like Chicken breast (no skin)/Salmon/Egg whites (maybe X4 yorks a week) I do very well too Emmie and my weight drops, perhaps and should just stick with it till I've reached my goal weight and then add on more fat/starchy veggies. Emmie do you eat diary?

Restarted the journey: