Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I feel cold! page 2

ruhrpotter is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yes, I know I have to quit...

Breakfast is hard for me. I get up early and I never wake up and feel good/fresh. Really never!

So its hard to eat. Sometimes I have Yoghurt and nuts. At the weekend its eaasier.
    Or I put cream and butter into my coffee.

tdugmen is offline Junior Member
    We live roughly around the same area and, yes, it's being quite cold for this time of the year, I want spring to finally kick in! I also tend to feel quite cold, but it might have to do with the fact that I'm from a warmer country so maybe I'm not totally adjusted yet. So far, I've only managed to battle the cold with warm showers, warm pumpkin/carrot soups (with a bunch of hot spices!!) and just jumping up and down until I feel warmed up... I'll consider following some of the advise I've read here!

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdugmen View Post
    We live roughly around the same area and, yes, it's being quite cold for this time of the year, I want spring to finally kick in! I also tend to feel quite cold, but it might have to do with the fact that I'm from a warmer country so maybe I'm not totally adjusted yet. So far, I've only managed to battle the cold with warm showers, warm pumpkin/carrot soups (with a bunch of hot spices!!) and just jumping up and down until I feel warmed up... I'll consider following some of the advise I've read here!
    Any recipes, by chance? Our weather here is rather like yours at the moment.
    Last edited by Terry H; 03-28-2013 at 04:37 AM.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruhrpotter View Post

Breakfast is hard for me. I get up early and I never wake up and feel good/fresh. Really never!

So its hard to eat. Sometimes I have Yoghurt and nuts. At the weekend its eaasier.
    Smoking can be contributing to your coldness because it's vasoconstrictive. I smoke though, and don't really have this problem unless I lower my metabolism via lack of calories and low carbs.
    nihil

tdugmen is offline Junior Member
    Ok, about soups... I rarely follow a recipe, since I tend to use veggies that catch my eye in the market.
    For the last weeks, my carrot soup has had carrots (about a kilo), a couple of leeks (greens and all), a fresh beet root (for wonderful colour!), a couple of red peppers, celery root (like 150-200 grams), a couple of hot peppers (choose the ones you like depending on the level of spiciness), 3 garlic cloves and a couple of inches of ginger. I heat a big pot with a generous amount of the fat of my choice (usually olive oil or butter), then I add the carrots (chopped in 3-4, depending on how big they are) and let them get goldeny-brown for about 20 minutes (this step is important, it'll totally change the flavour) then I add the leek and garlic and let it fry for a while, then the rest of the stuff. As liquid I'll add bone broth if I have it available, but water will suffice, enough liquid to cover all the vegetables and 4 cms more. Let it boil happily until everything is tender and blend. Check if the salt content is ok and add a bit of freshly ground black pepper (if you have a bit of Ras-el-hanout, it goes wonderfully with it!). Serve with a swirl of cream (or coconut cream, if you don't do dairy) and a tiny bit of fried bacon for extra crunchiness (add the leftover bacon grease to the mixture!).
    As you imagine it's not too low carb, but the amounts listed result on about 10 (generous) servings.

For a quick pumpkin one, I just fry some leek or onions with a chili pepper on butter, then roast the pumpkin in the oven until soft and goldeny-brown, add it to the pot with the leek/onion and add my liquid of choice (if there's chicken broth around, it really makes a difference).

Sorry, I'm really not too good at documenting recipes, I'm a bit of a random cook!

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=tdugmen;1140908]Ok, about soups... I rarely follow a recipe, since I tend to use veggies that catch my eye in the market.
    For the last weeks, my carrot soup has had carrots (about a kilo), a couple of leeks (greens and all), a fresh beet root (for wonderful colour!), a couple of red peppers, celery root (like 150-200 grams), a couple of hot peppers (choose the ones you like depending on the level of spiciness), 3 garlic cloves and a couple of inches of ginger. I heat a big pot with a generous amount of the fat of my choice (usually olive oil or butter), then I add the carrots (chopped in 3-4, depending on how big they are) and let them get goldeny-brown for about 20 minutes (this step is important, it'll totally change the flavour) then I add the leek and garlic and let it fry for a while, then the rest of the stuff. As liquid I'll add bone broth if I have it available, but water will suffice, enough liquid to cover all the vegetables and 4 cms more. Let it boil happily until everything is tender and blend. Check if the salt content is ok and add a bit of freshly ground black pepper (if you have a bit of Ras-el-hanout, it goes wonderfully with it!). Serve with a swirl of cream (or coconut cream, if you don't do dairy) and a tiny bit of fried bacon for extra crunchiness (add the leftover bacon grease to the mixture!).
    As you imagine it's not too low carb, but the amounts listed result on about 10 (generous) servings.

For a quick pumpkin one, I just fry some leek or onions with a chili pepper on butter, then roast the pumpkin in the oven until soft and goldeny-brown, add it to the pot with the leek/onion and add my liquid of choice (if there's chicken broth around, it really makes a difference).

Sorry, I'm really not too good at documenting recipes, I'm a bit of a random cook![/QUOT

Thanks for that. I'll try the carrot soup first. My wife (German) loves that sort of thing and I'm sure I will too!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ruhrpotter View Post

Nicotine is also an appetite suppressant. It is suicide on the installment plan. I watched my grandmother die of lung cancer when I was a kid. Believe me, you do not want to go that way. It was horrific.

You are young enough right now that, if you quit, your lungs may be able to heal some. If you wait much longer though, it is going to get you.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Question - do you get outside for a little Spaziergang on a regular basis?? It helped me to get regular fresh air - I got hardened off to the weather a lot and would not get so cold so quickly. It is my Oma's answer to everything that ails a body - I am not that bad, but that suggestion does help a lot of things.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Smoking can be contributing to your coldness because it's vasoconstrictive. I smoke though, and don't really have this problem unless I lower my metabolism via lack of calories and low carbs.
    This is Derpy logic at its finest. Ingest a proven carcinogenic substance but eat enough sugar to mask one of the possible side effects. Yeahright.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This is Derpy logic at its finest. Ingest a proven carcinogenic substance but eat enough sugar to mask one of the possible side effects. Yeahright.
    Proven... right. Show experiments or randomized trials that support your claim. Please no junk science, or anti-smoking propaganda.

I only agreed that it can be vasoconstrictive, but it also has a balancing effect as well.
    nihil

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast