Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Patti page 5

Patti is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Forget to note that at a doctor's visit last week my bp was 108/68, the best in awhile!

Meals here continue to be delicious. TG thinks that Iíve become a more adventurous cook and loves all of the new recipes Iíve been trying. Today I tossed together Chicken Kale Tomato soup, in other words, whatever leftovers were in the fridge that played nicely together. Dinner was an eye-of-round roast beef, sweet potatoes, buttered cauliflower, and a small serving of pineapple/mango fruit salad.

I suspect that tomorrow Iíll find out that Iím not hitting my weight loss goals. If I still havenít lost anything, the most likely suspects are eating too much fruit (3-5 servings a day), perhaps too much heavy cream (pint a week), a teaspoon of raw honey in two cups of decaf coffee a day, trying something new each week (a bit of rice, ice cream, ff yogurt, etc.), or the ounce of nuts a day. If this is the case, my plan this week is to cut fruit back to two servings a day, coffee with cream and honey once a day, nuts three times for the week, and no new items. Weíll see what the morning brings.

On the bright side, I feel fabulous, have lots of energy, havenít been ill with a cold/flu/virus since starting Primal even though Iíve been exposed to various illnesses, am walking daily, eating plenty of meat and veggies, blood pressure is a little lower than it had been, still staying within the monthly grocery budget, and hubby is 100% supportive of my primal lifestyle while remaining happy with his more CW/whole grain lifestyle. Also, Iím not sure if itís my imagination, but I think that my rosacea is clearing up. I havenít broken out in about 5 weeks and havenít felt that awful flushing sensation in a few weeks.

And hereís an odd one - my wrists seem to be getting stronger even though Iím not doing any exercise to specifically target them. Until recently I used to need both hands to carry the cast iron skillet when it is full of food. Yesterday I found myself handling one in each hand and didnít realize the change until I put them down.

Week 7

Female, 51, 5í5Ē
    Primal/Paleo start date - March 25, 2013
    Measurements on Monday am May 13, 2013

SW: 224 BMI 37.3
    CW: 214 (-10 lbs) BMI 35.6
    GW: 124 BMI 20.6

Measurement Current/Start/Loss

Bust 48.25"/ 47.50" (-.75")
    Waist 40.50"/45" (-4.50")
    Stomach 45.75"/50Ē (-4.25")
    Hips 47"/48.25" (-1.25")
    Neck 16.0"/16.75 (-.75")
    Bicep 14.5"/14.5" no loss
    Thigh 27"/28" (-1.0")
    Calf 16.75"/16.75" no loss

Time for a little shake up!

As my friends and I have gained and lost weight over the years we've shared what no longer fits with each other. It was depressing to realize that I'm the largest in the group and that no one else would fit into the clothing that is now too big for me.
    Last edited by Patti; 05-16-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Erin.Patti is offline Member
    Patti,

Congratulations on all of your success so far!

It is a big bummer to realize that you are bigger than your friends, but it seems like you are so committed and your improved health and energy are such great results.

Patti (Erin.Patti)
    SW: 213 (3/13)
    CW: 203 (6/11/13)

Goal: 185

Fat is delicious. You can quote me.

Patti, thanks for the kind words. It's now going to be a quiet little race (on my part) to get out of these 22's and into the 20's, and from there to the 18's. I'll have no trouble finding homes for the 20's, which is sad in it's own way, but I'm grateful that when my friends lost weight that they had 22s to share with me.

Being a part of this forum has served as an important support group for me. Have you found the same?

Week 7

Female, 51, 5í5Ē
    Primal/Paleo start date - March 25, 2013
    Measurements on Monday am May 20, 2013

SW: 224 BMI 37.3
    CW: 212 (-12 lbs) BMI 35.3
    GW: 124 BMI 20.6

Measurement Current/Start/Loss

Bust 46.5"/ 48.25" (-1.75")
    Waist 40.50"/45" (-4.50")
    Stomach 45.50/50Ē (-4.50")
    Hips 47"/48.25" (-1.25")
    Neck 16.25"/16.75 (-.50")
    Bicep 14.25"/14.5" (-.25")
    Thigh 26.50"/28" (-1.5")
    Calf 16.50"/16.75" (-.25")

Paying more attention to what I was eating and walking more is paying off. Sometimes it is difficult to come to terms with being an older female with a slower metabolism. The excess is fading away instead of melting off. Next week will be my final weekly weigh-in. After that it will be monthly in an effort to keep away from the scale. Time to get back to trying on clothing that is a size too small and using that as my gauge.

Started my week off with a walk and a seventeen hour fast (LOL skipped breakfast). Lunch was 3 eggs over-easy cooked in butter, 3 chicken sausages, sauteed spinach, 1/2 a grapefruit, and pomegranate green tea. Mid-afternoon was a strawberry full-fat Greek yogurt smoothie with dark chocolate flakes. I love days at home! Time to hang out some more laundry to take advantage of our fine weather.

Almost forgot to mention books - last week I was able to borrow two books from the public library, Primal Blueprint and Wheat Belly. While I've been working my way through the PB, TG started reading Wheat Belly and finished it last night. Watching him quietly change the way he eats this weekend was interesting. The omelets he served on Saturday didn't have toast on the side and when we were at the farmer's market he didn't even slow down at the bakery stand. I've no intention of suggesting he eat differently, but I think the next couple of weeks will bring some changes. In the meantime, I keep the dish of white rice and bowl of cooked sweet potatoes ready in the fridge. Anything else I'll wait for him to request.

After the cast iron discussion on another thread I went to check mine. One is a Griswold and the rest are Wagner. All are 50-100 years old and going strong. They are my primary cooking pans these days, down to the dutch oven. They're all smooth and oiled, just needing to be "scraped" and rubbed with a little more oil after cooking. I usually use small plastic scrapers that came with some Pampered Chef stoneware to scrape hardened food off of the sides. Funny how my one teflon pan hasn't been seeing much action lately. I think I just like the heft and solidity of the cast iron. Now that my wrists are stronger it is no longer a problem to "juggle" them in the kitchen.

Annual Physical

Today was the best visit I've had with my doctor in years. He came in, looked at me and asked what I'd been doing differently. Since my last visit I'd lost 18 lbs., looked healthy, and for the most part my bloodwork looked spot on. Predictably LDL had gone up a few points, however HDL was also way up and trigs had plummeted. I'd prepared a memo for him outlining the PB WOE, my exercise routine, positive changes I've written about here, foods I'd reintroduced and the results of trying them. He wants me to keep doing whatever I've been doing and to repeat the test results in 6 months and a year.

Some of the positive changes:
    arthritis - 95% gone, unless I eat a food that triggers inflammation
    asthma - off of all meds, keeping albuteral inhaler and epipen on hand, and other meds are in reserve if needed again
    heart - sounds great, circulation is improving, bp 128/78 (a little higher than usual)
    digestion - IBS gone, GERD gone, no symptoms of hiatal hernia
    Other: energy still very high, brain fog gone, depression gone

I forgot to let him know, but I've been taking in between 1700-2000 calories daily. Ratios are about 50f/20p/30c. Most of the carbs are from vegetables, fruit, and the occasional sweet potato or scoop of ff yogurt.

Also, I realized that my scale at home is more than 10# off of that at the doctor's office, but for the sake of continuity I plan to keep using my scale. This would put my high weight at 230, ouch! Unfortunately, I've misplaced the folder with my previous test results, so here are the current ones.

F/52/212 lbs.
    PB since 03/25/2013
    HDL 69, LDL 148, Trig 115, Cholesterol/HDL ratio 3.5, Trig/HDL ratio 1.67, fasting glucose 92

Doc was very interested in learning more about the Paleo diet and The Primal Blueprint, so invited him to check out MDA. If you're here, Welcome!

Looks as if I've got a sadly neglected journal here. Let's change that.

Food - Now that I've become comfortable with the PB Diet, I've lost the need to track food intake and menus. Although I'll probably go back to it if I run into a sticky spot or when I need some advice. The recipes I'll keep adding! Yesterday I ate out twice with friends. For lunch I took an elderly friend out for her birthday. While I would have ordered a Reuben once-upon-a-time, yesterday it was ranch steak with sauteed mushrooms and onions. YUM! Dinner was at a Thai restaurant with friends and was a delicious Massaman Curry. My skipping the rice elicited a couple of comments, probably because I used to relish it so much that I'd sometimes order a large bowl, but was generally no big deal. It is interesting how we worry about things other people could care less about. The curry did have peanuts in it, (how did I miss that in the description?), but I haven't suffered any noticeable side effects except a craving for sweets. I've indulged that today with a couple of Primal Truffles, and a yogurt/kefir/berry shake.

Medical - This past week I've been on a real high after the very positive visit that I had with my doctor. The urge to dance around the yard and giggle is almost uncontrollable sometimes. Getting real confirmation that I'm on track, and that this is working for me, not just many other people, is a huge boost.

Measurements and clothing - For the first time I forgot to weigh and measure myself on Monday. Weird since I'd become almost fanatical about it. Now it's becoming all about how my clothing fits. Yesterday I donated a large bag of clothing at the Salvation Army. Everything was in lovely shape, and other than the size I really liked them. At first I was even tempted to try to take some of them in, then decided that I'd just trade them in for a smaller size. Into the SA I went and out I came with some lovely silk and cotton outfits that actually fit. Now I'm getting a kick out of the anticipation of doing this every time I go down a size.

Exercise - My neighbor Jane and I now race through our daily walk around the circle, 7/10's of a mile of steep terrain on a gravel road through the woods. Starting Monday we'll up the ante and go Phase 2 - around twice. We walk the circle counterclockwise because this way we go down the steepest slope and climb the more gradual one. For Phase 3 we'll reverse it to increase the difficulty. Since we're walking her two dogs, who take regular pit stops and alert us to any other mammals they notice, timing our walks doesn't really help. The recumbent bike has been as ignored as the journal. At least once a week TG and I go for a longer walk of usually 2-5 miles depending upon our destination. The kettlebells have also been neglected, but this afternoon I'll take them outside for a little workout. Time to move!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast