Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Patti page 3

Patti is offline Senior Member

A Beautiful Rainy Day

Primal Fuel
    What a difference a day makes...

Brunch this morning stopped my hunger pangs right in their tracks. I've always thought that steak and eggs sounded wonderful, but who would ever eat that much protein in one sitting? Turns out that would be me. I made a strip steak, eggs over easy, sauteed spinach, half an avocado, and a pot of green tea. What a totally delightful meal! After an hour I was feeling so energized that I hopped on the bike for a two mile ride.

Dinner was a burger, salad with avocado, kale chips, and fruit salad. I feel full and comfortable. It's so nice to leave the dinner table and not feel that I need a nap right away or to feel vague feelings of still wanting more even though I'd had a complete meal.

This afternoon I was at the weekly knitting & spinning group I attend as often as possible. One of the highlights of the gathering is coffee, cakes, and other goodies. I made a tropical fruit salad (fresh mango, papaya, pineapple, mandarin and coconut). Others contributed cookies, cakes, doughnuts, and platters of cheeses. So I chose the fruit salad and an assortment of cheeses while waiting for someone to ask why I wasn't trying their special cake or other goodie. The joke was on me because no one even noticed that I didn't try the other stuff. Why do I even worry about these things?

Then it was on to the grocery store. My husband asked me to pick up a roll for his burger tonight. It seemed pretty funny to be buying just one roll, but since I stopped eating anything grain related I noticed that he's cut way back on the amount of baked goods that he eats. Then, because I had a little time to spare I wandered the grocery store to see if something caught my fancy. A few days ago I purchased plenty of meats and produce, so didn't need any of those. While I'd hoped to find some sunflower seed butter, they didn't carry any. I wound up with a packet of organic dates to try. Just a couple of months ago I'd have loaded my cart with things that were on sale: pastas, cake mixes, salad dressings, cereals and the list goes on. It was weird walking around a big store and thinking that there really wasn't that much real food for sale there. Future trips to the grocery store won't take nearly as much time as they used to!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hey Patti, I love your journal. Your food sounds delicious, you must be a great cook. You are having such success with applying this lifestyle. Your little spot of paradise sounds idyllic too. Best wishes for your continual progress.

calee is offline Senior Member
    Hi Patti, I just read up on your journal. What a brilliant start you're off to. I particularly liked reading about where you live and your fence adventure.

Perhaps you'll inspire me to start a journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Hey Patti, I love your journal. Your food sounds delicious, you must be a great cook. You are having such success with applying this lifestyle. Your little spot of paradise sounds idyllic too. Best wishes for your continual progress.
    Hi Annie, Thanks for the encouragement! I do love to cook and in finding MDA and the PB I feel right at home. Cooking is one of my favorite activities and food is sometimes an obsession. My attention is slightly diverted lately with learning to get up and move. I'm glad that you liked my description of my corner of the world. I'll be sure to add more as spring progresses here.

Quote Originally Posted by calee View Post
    Hi Patti, I just read up on your journal. What a brilliant start you're off to. I particularly liked reading about where you live and your fence adventure.

Perhaps you'll inspire me to start a journal!
    Glad you like it! Please do start a journal. It's both enlightening and inspiring to read about how the rest of the members here are solving challenges that are common to many of us.

The fence has now been fully repaired and is ready for the next big wildlife "incursion" into our yard! Wildlife highlights here today: the Ruby-Crowned Kinglets have returned (or are passing through) and three different types of woodpeckers were on the suet feeders at the same time. It was almost enough to make me feel guilty for having a roast chicken in the oven.

calee is offline Senior Member
    That's great wildlife spotting!

I feel like a glacier. Getting started with exercise was so difficult! I felt like a very old lady and I'm not.... I'm only 51, not 91. When on the birding trip a few weeks ago I did worry about hurting myself while hiking. Since starting the Primal WOL I feel more in touch with my body every day and the stiff joints and muscles are gradually returning to health.

Yesterday was a breakthrough exercise day. On the bike I tried one of the programmed hill climbing beginner routines. The resistance was much higher than I'd ever gone before and the speed much slower than I'd anticipated. In 20 minutes, and 3.5 miles later, my legs felt like jelly and the day was still young. After lunch it was out to the garden and many wheelbarrows of mulch later one of the garden paths looks lovely. I saved the other paths for later in the week. Then TG wanted to take a 2 mile walk by the river. Keeping up with his long legs is usually beyond me, but he noticed that I kept up without huffing and puffing for the first time in years.

Today it's a rest day. Tonight I'm making pizza for TG and meatza for me. Yum!

My knitting is starting to reflect my new outlook. The pair of socks on the needles right now are slightly small for me. They should be perfect for the slimmer me I expect by mid-summer. After taking stock of the clothing in the top of the closet, it turns out I have approximately 20 pairs of very nice pants that are one and two sizes too small right now. I pulled a couple of pair out to keep trying on. Fitting into these is a great incentive to walk by the dish of chocolate bars.

The red-shouldered hawks were courting and mating just outside the sun room a few minutes ago. The clucking calls they made during this activity were new to me. Right now it's cold, windy and overcast. I'm happy to watch the activity from inside today.

Week 3

Primal/Paleo start date - March 25, 2013

SW: 224 BMI 37.3
    CW: 214 (-10 lbs) BMI 35.6
    GW: 125 BMI 20.8

Neck 16.25" (-.5")
    Bust 47.75" (-.5")
    Bicep 14.5" no change
    Waist 43.25" (-1.75")
    Belly Button 47.5" (-2.5")
    Hips 47.75" (-.50")
    Thigh 27.5" (-.50")

As predicted last week, my weight loss has slowed right down, but the inches are still coming off so I'm delighted. One weird area that I've been measuring is around my abdomen at the belly button. This isn't a conventional place to measure, but given my charming apple shape it was my largest. The waist and abdomen are where I'm seeing the biggest change. Maybe the hourglass hiding inside is ready to come out again!

Positive changes since going Primal: arthritis in hands is virtually gone; arthritis in knees and hips are much reduced; hiatal hernia symptoms gone; gas and bloating gone; stamina while walking and biking greatly increased; tendons and ligaments in legs are finally stretching out a little; clear skin; lots of energy!

Walking shoes and cross-trainers came out of the closet and are going to new homes because they're too narrow. Is that why they still look new?!? Hopefully they'll fit one of my sisters. As a reward for still going strong, I purchased a pair of Keen Santiago Corduroy Lace-ups. They are nice and flat with no heel rise. So far they're quite comfy.

Cleaned foods out of the pantry that I used to eat/drink and TG doesn't. Goodbye, Mio and Hersey's syrup! Hello, coconut aminos and full-fat coconut milk.

Yesterday I had lunch with a friend at a lovely Thai restaurant. I forgot to tell them to skip the rice and when my meal arrived I thought "Well, there's no time like the present to see how I react to it." And react I did, but not in an awful way. This morning my fingers were slightly swollen, all of my joints ache, and I gained 4 lbs. overnight. Hopefully the inflammation will go away soon. From now on I'll stick to sweet potatoes, plantains, and fruits as my higher carb items.

Today's hunting expedition took me to the jungles of Walmart in search of Kettlebells. In battered boxes on the clearance table I found WMs remaining stock. Looks as if they're out of favor, at least at this store. For $24 I got a 5, 10, and 15 set. Now to learn proper form and I'm ready to swing!

Soon I'll be visiting my family for a week. They live a few states away from my home. I'm prepared to be secure in my role as the family weirdo who shows up with a cook kit of my "special" foods, many of which they wouldn't be caught dead eating. I think the carton of heavy cream might clash with their fat-free yogurt in the fridge, but I'll take my chances. My aunt said that they planned to go shopping before we get there and that there was a freezer full of TV dinners if anyone got hungry. Actually she's a wonderful cook, but both she and my mother have lost interest in cooking. With luck they'll allow me to fill the freezer with some homemade soups and stews. I suggested that she hold off until we arrive and that we'd help with the shopping. At least she was excited about going to the farmers market and nursery the morning after we arrive.

Among the things I'll pack for the trip is the lightest KB. One of my sisters has used them before and I'll ask for tips.

And is it maybe a little over the top that I really want to take my scale with me? I love taking my weight every Monday and will have month anniversary while gone. Weight obsessed nut or not? Weigh in with your thoughts!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sigh, and let's add the return of IBS to the reasons why I have had my last grain of rice. My husband is welcome to all the remaining rice, wheat, oats, chia, flax, and other grains in the cupboard.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast