While I live in Pennsylvania and lead a very sedentary life, last week was spent hiking and wildlife watching in Costa Rica with a group of college students. The many hours of daily hiking, plain mostly unprocessed foods, and simple accommodations felt like a birdwatching boot camp. It was a wonderful experience, and I came home ready to make some big changes. On the trip home I read "The Paleo Diet" and dove into the internet finding such a vast amount of information it was overwhelming. Again, and again, I kept coming back to MDA, so this is where I will make my Primal home.

The primary health issues I'm tackling are asthma, osteo arthritis, varicose veins, dry eyes, ocular migraines, and degenerative disk disease.

My husband is quite thin, walks daily, and generally supportive of whatever measures I want to take to get regain my health. He's convinced that low-fat, low-saturated fat, and whole grains with a small amount of protein is the way to go because it is working for him. It doesn't work for me and my weight has ballooned while my health has declined.

Cooking is one of my passions and primal eating seems positively decadent to me. We'll see how I feel the first time I have the urge to cheat! Years ago I followed the Atkins plan for a few years, lost 50 lbs. and regained it when I went off and couldn't seem to get back on. Somehow I think these changes are going to be different.

Here's what I've eaten for the past couple of days. Any input or suggestions are appreciated as this is a process.

March 25
Brunch: burger/onion/carrot/canola oil saute; 1/2 banana; herbal tea.
Snack #1: fruit cup of diced apples, walnuts, currants, cinnamon.
Snack #2: Clementine, vitamins and fish/flax oils, hard boiled egg, black pepper, herbal tea.
Snack #3: seaweed sheets, 1 oz. mixed nuts, dried apricot, prune.
Dinner: salad with avocado, walnuts, currants, flaxseed oil/lclementine dressing; Garlic Eggplant, Mushrooms and Pork stir fry; cantaloupe, blueberry, almond salad; black coffee.
Notes: Biked for 2 miles, felt great

March 26
Breakfast: ½ banana, chicken leg and thigh, 2c spinach sautéed in coconut and canola oils, carrot sticks.
Lunch: lightly salted kale chips, Garlic Eggplant, Mushrooms and Pork stir fry, Clementine.
Snack: roasted pumpkin seeds.
Dinner: cup of chicken/kale soup; 2 large slices turkey breast, 1/2 small sweet potato; pineapple, mango, coconut, walnut salad; herbal tea, vitamins.
Notes: Did 4 hours of housework and felt exhausted at the end of the day.

When I add nuts to the salads, it's usually between one tsp. and one tbsp. as I've been trying not to overdo it there. My salt intake is much reduced, although I did add a little to the kale chips. My husband thinks I'm eating too much, but so far I'm losing weight, haven't been tempted by processed foods, and feeling much better. Seems pretty good to me!

Now, time to read some of your journals.