Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Patti page 2

Patti is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yesterday was was taken up with an ER visit for both my husband and myself. As it turns out, we were both exposed to the bats although I don't have any visible bites and both of us needed the rabies vaccine. 8 shots later and I feel like a pincushion. Given the possible alternative, it's all for the best.

The hospital is over an hour from our home. In the past when I'd head "to town" for a doctor's visit or tests, I'd run lots of other errands that day. This often included a treat for myself such as a milkshake, pastry, or lunch out. In retrospect I suppose it had actually been a punishment! Yesterday I drove by the ice cream parlor and had such a strong urge to pull in. Instead I headed across the street to the Shop Rite grocery store and splurged on grass-feed beef (on sale!) and wild-caught cod, salmon, sea scallops. When I got home my husband laughed about it being a "cavegirl's day out".

During my Week One wrap-up I forgot to include any other health improvement or issues that I'd noticed. After only a week, the arthritis in my hands, that was making me feel crippled, is fading away. During the middle of last week I was full of energy, right up until the leg procedure. That really set my energy level back. Next Monday I'll be ready to play with my new sandbags and can already feel the energy returning.

The Caramel Challenge

April 1 Day 8
    Breakfast: leftover meal pork chop, piece bacon, asparagus, 2 sm. banana/blueberry pancakes, herbal tea
    Lunch: turkey breast, avocado, olive oil dressing, carrot, clementine
    Snack: coffee with coconut oil; handful of pumpkin seeds
    Dinner: sea scallop scampi; asparagus; salad with avocado; cup cantaloupe/pineapple

April 2 Day 9
    Breakfast: 2 fried eggs, 2 slices bacon, tbsp. pumpkin seeds
    Lunch: eggplant with meat sauce, 1/5 mango
    Snack: apple salad with almond slivers, currants, and 1 tsp. honey (turned out way too sweet)
    Dinner: Baked Cod, plantains, steamed broccoli, pineapple/mango/kiwi salad; tea The Baked Cod was wonderful!

Today I had a real food challenge, and as usual it's all in my head! When cleaning out the fridge I came across a partial jar of Trader Joe's Salted Caramel Sauce. Cream, butter, sugar -- what's not to love??? The urge to dig in with a spoon or heat it up and dip apple slices in it was nearly overwhelming. And would you believe I actually thought "Oh, that won't look too good in the journal!". The apple salad was supposed to be a compromise by adding a tsp. of honey and, surprisingly, it tasted horribly sweet to me. Lesson learned - my tastes are changing. Looks as if the sauce is headed to the trash. Farewell, Sweet Caramel...

Life seems to have gotten too busy to keep posting my daily food journal. So far I've targeted a couple of small problem areas and one is coffee. Laden with cream and sugar I love the stuff. Served black and I just tolerate it. Down the road I'm sure I'll start drinking it again w/ c&s.

Yesterday morning there was no time for breakfast other than coffee and a handful of pumpkin seeds, so had an amazing lunch: a couple of grass-fed burgers, kale chips, and blueberries smothered in heavy cream. Ah, heaven! It was the best meal I'd eaten in ages and I'm a pretty good cook. This was satisfying on the deepest level. For the first time I didn't finish my dinner because I wasn't very hungry.

Exercise - did sprints on the bike and had a blast. Next week I'm going to extend my time on the bike from 10-15 minutes to 20.
    Squatting is a problem. At first I thought it was just my knees being uncooperative. Now I realize that the tendons in my legs are so tight that I just can't get down there. To loosen up I'm doing modified squats every time I have to wait somewhere for a few minutes at home. Gradually I seem to be seeing some change but this will probably take awhile.

IronGirl is offline Member
    Just wanted to say there are too many wonderful things in the last few posts to comment on all of them, but way to go. It's amazing how great you are doing. Tossing the caramel sauce, not eating when you aren't really hungry and indulging in great Primal foods when you are, and the arthritis! I'm so happy for you Keep up the great work!
    I feed my healthy cells and starve the rest.

Waist circumference:
    50(start)/40.5(current)/35>(goal)

Thanks for the cheerleading, Irongirl. Things that initially felt like sacrifices are turning into satisfying choices. Three cheers for the primal lifestyle!

This weekend we were traveling. Living primal in modern society wasn't nearly as hard as I'd anticipated. Dinner at the Macaroni Grill with the family we were visiting had me a bit apprehensive, but there were a couple of good choices for me on the menu: tomato soup and a warm spinach-grilled shrimp salad. I splashed extra olive oil on each and it was a terrific meal that I'll make at home sometime. The second big meal of the weekend also had fine choices right down to desserts. While everyone else had creme brulee and different tortes, I chose the Belgian chocolate covered strawberry. Just one was enough sweetness to last me the rest of the week! I love how my tastes are changing. Earlier I ate a Grannie Smith apple and enjoyed it, which I never would have done pre-primal.

My second week of primal living has drawn to a close and another pound has vanished! Will post measurements tonight.

SW 224
    CW 214 (-10)
    GW 124

Last evening I downloaded a bunch of free books on Paleo-Primal living to my Kindle. For my end of week 2 celebration last night I grilled some strip steaks and roasted enough veggies to last the week. The deliciousness that is roasted broccoli was a wonderful surprise.
    Last edited by Patti; 04-08-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Week Two

Primal/Paleo start date - March 25, 2013

SW: 224 BMI 37.3
    CW: 214 (-10 lbs) BMI 35.6
    GW: 125 BMI 20.8

These are the measurements of a shrinking human marshmallow!
    Neck 16" (-.75")
    Bust 48" (-.25")
    Bicep 14.5" no change
    Waist 43.25" (-1.75")
    Hips 47.75" (-.50")
    Thigh 28" no change

Pants that were tight now fit comfortably, even requiring a belt for the largest pair. I've decided to give away my largest clothing as I change sizes to remove some of the temptation to backslide. Luckily I already have clothing in the next three sizes down, so no shopping for awhile!

This week I added back dairy in the form of cream. This may be slowing my weight loss down a little bit but that would be a good thing. I'd love to avoid some of the common problems associated with quick weight loss including hair loss and loose skin. To do so, my doctor recommended losing one pound a month. We'll see how it goes!

And the best news of all, the arthritis pain in my hands is 99% gone.

Up with the Bears

This morning I woke up to find a note from my husband, The Gardener. Last night a bear went through the fence around our yard in a couple of places. Normally TG would have handled the fencing but he had to leave for work earlier than usual today. We live on 4+ acres in an dry oak forest. The area around our house is like an oasis of herbaceous plants and tender fruit-bearing shrubs. The deer press longingly against the flimsy fencing that TG has rigged up and a few times a season bears just walk right through it. The trick is to get out there and fix it before the deer find the gap.

So today it was my turn to suit up brave the ticks. I'm such a wimp sometimes, but today I got right out there. And standing under a Mountain Laurel, surrounded by oak trees, huckleberry bushes and blackberry brambles, I found myself pounding away on stakes and tying up fencing and it just felt right. As if I'd actually earned the breakfast that I made a little later. Those banana pancakes, and spinach with bacon, never tasted so good!

Generally, I'm still eating very well and enjoying every minute. Cooking has rarely been more fun. Today I popped a couple of batches of kale into the oven for chips and set a pot of chicken bones to simmer for broth. Yesterday I made a "Chocolate Pudding" based on a recipe i saw somewhere on MDA. 1 Tbsp. each of dark chocolate, butter, coconut flakes, and heavy cream. Talk about decadent!!! This was so delicious that it is worthy of being saved for special occasions.

This week I'm going to bed 1-3 hours earlier than usual and find myself waking up at almost the same time. Our bedroom has always been very dark so didn't need to make any changes there.

What I am slacking off on is exercise and that must not continue! I deserve to be as strong as I feel and that won't happen if I don't work those weak muscles out. Today it's back on the bike for 3 miles and 10 minutes of weight training with my new "sandbag" made of rice.

All of this is adding up to a lack of mental "fog", which feels wonderful and amazing. In the past few years my quilting has dwindled to nothing and for the first time I can't wait to get needle to fabric again. When I start to dream new designs I'll know things have really improved.

Detours

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yesterday was the first detour on my primal journey. While out with a friend I had chili with beans over a salad. No problem I thought, this is the 20% part, until it came time for dinner. I had a scoop of white rice with a shrimp stir fry. Afterwards I was still hungry so made up another chocolate "pudding" of dark chocolate, coconut, butter, almond slivers and cream. It didn't feel like an entirely successful day on my way back to health. On the bright side, I did 3 miles on the bike including a couple of sprints.

The next time Greta and I go out it's back to burgers and a salad for me.

Today I woke up feeling starved! And so back to the kitchen I go... green tea, steak, eggs, and spinach for breakfast.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast