Thread: barefoot 2 year old. page

ajcunn87 is offline Junior Member

barefoot 2 year old.

Shop Now
    I've have a 2 year old that can't keep her shoes on. In the car or in stores. How far should I encourage this behavior. I barefoot and I wear vibram5f outside. I don't mind to much since I do it. But my wife doesn't like it thinks she should keep the shoes on or be carried if she kicks them off and never touch the ground with barefeet. Do I encourage the barefooting, even in stores. Vibrams aren't realy an option, there to expensive for kids chaotic growing feet. And flipflops come off even quicker. What do you guys think. Anyone else have barefoot kids.
    Last edited by ajcunn87; 03-27-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Dickson is online now Senior Member
    It really depends on where you are. Out at Grandpa's farm=ok; walking in the k-mart parking lot=hepatitis B needle. Teach her to avoid unnecessary risks by being aware of the environment, much as Grok would have taught his children.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I would talk to your wife about what her thoughts/feelings are on this, and then see if you can come up with a decent compromise. Barefooting is relatively normal in NZ (particularly for kids), so it's really no big deal here at all. DS even goes to school barefoot, but we have to supply shoes "just in case."

Our new method has been using aqua/water shoes and/or diving boots. They are much less expensive than vibrams and the like, and easy to pick up at inexpensive shoe stores (ie, target and the like), and they give the bare-foot feel which is healthy for little feet.

There are also leather moccasins and the like made for children, but they are quite expensive comparatively. So, we just went with water shoes.

Edited to add: DS managed to rip through those shoes in under a week. Today we went and got vibrams on sale for $69. He's 4, so they fit his feet. He *loves* them. And, they should last 6 mo to a year (average life of children's shoes, really).
    Last edited by zoebird; 03-27-2013 at 11:39 PM.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcunn87 View Post
    But my wife doesn't like it thinks she should keep the shoes on or be carried if she kicks them off and never touch the ground with barefeet.
    Seriously?

This sounds like your wife having a passive-aggressive disagreement with you on the merits of going barefoot.

There's nothing wrong with your kid.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    There's a lot of evidence (that I can't be bothered to look up right now) that thick shoes hamper children's feet and movement development. I second the recommendation for thinner shoes as a compromise, and make sure they are wide enough.

You might even get your kid to start wearing thin-soled sandals, which could be a compromise for everyone.

Or SoftStar Shoes: Home Page | Soft Star Shoes

Every time I go to that web page their shoes look nicer. I'll have to buy some soon.

Kool is offline Senior Member
    Does she like colorful stuff?
    Try introducing her to Crocs..they're pretty fun
    or just lace her shoes in a tight knot...not trying to sound cruel or anything but it's for her safety ya know

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    Does she like colorful stuff?
    Try introducing her to Crocs..they're pretty fun
    or just lace her shoes in a tight knot...not trying to sound cruel or anything but it's for her safety ya know
    If the footpath she would run on is covered in broken glass, then I agree with you.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    crocs seriously eff up gait. even DS's high quality keens that have a nice wide footbed and are flat have completely effed up his gait to the point where I'm super upset because when he was mostly barefoot, he was super awesome in terms of gait. And now . . .it's awful.

But, we got him the vibrams today, and it's already sorting itself. Amazing!