Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not another omg look at my chol thread page

Jencossy is offline Member

Not another omg look at my chol thread

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok...have measured my lipids five weeks into primal. (Sorry I hav no baseline but am a relatively fit healthy 31yr old and am not overweight but have lost 8lbs on primal)

Cholesterol 216.14
    Trig 57.9
    HDL 57.9
    LDL 131.23

I'm a physician so I'm a little disturbed about my chol and LDL. Do I hold out and repeat after another few months? Should I be concerned? Am I doing the right thing?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Your cholesterol level is nothing to be concerned about.

HEALTHY DIETS AND SCIENCE

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Your cholesterol level is nothing to be concerned about.

HEALTHY DIETS AND SCIENCE
    Agreed. Cholesterol should not be considered high until it is over 250. For more, Google Chris Masterjohn + cholesterol.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Agreed. Cholesterol should not be considered high until it is over 250. For more, Google Chris Masterjohn + cholesterol.
    At what point would you take statins? What markers would you look at, eg trigs/ HDL-C ratio, and how bad would they have to be for you to take statins? If your TC>250, what should you do about it?

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    a total number for cholesterol is meaningless. 250 is just as arbitrary as 150 or 450.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Jencossy is offline Member
    Yes but I have given the other values as well...

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    sorry, missed the bit that you're a doctor. as such you should understand that cholesterol from food doesn't translate to elevated blood lipids, and that "high" cholesterol reads have no proof in causing cvd. 50% of those who have heart attacks have "healthy" cholesterol numbers.

some find their numbers elevated at first, while the body adapts, but numbers become more "normal" after 6 months or so.

your trig number is good, which is the one that worries some people.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    At what point would you take statins? What markers would you look at, eg trigs/ HDL-C ratio, and how bad would they have to be for you to take statins? If your TC>250, what should you do about it?
    I'm not sure I would ever take statins. The side effects are too bad and the risk reduction is too low.
    How Statins Really Work Explains Why They Don't Really Work.

My total cholesterol was up around 300 several months ago. My doctor prescribed a statin, but I did not take it. I worked off the assumption that my chronic fasting and carb restriction could have been hampering my thyroid function. So I started eating a Brazil nut each day, seaweed a few times a week and upped my overall carb intake. Last I checked, my TC was down to ~260, all from LDL reduction. For more info:
    Chris Masterjohn on Cholesterol and Heart Disease (Part 3)
    High LDL on Paleo Revisited: Low Carb & the Thyroid | Perfect Health Diet

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    a total number for cholesterol is meaningless. 250 is just as arbitrary as 150 or 450.
    Fair enough. I was referencing what Chris Masterjohn has said. That among extant hunter-gatherers, the upper range of TC seems to be around 250, so it seems likely that if TC is higher than that, it might indicate a problem. Also, it's good to keep in mind that any one measurement is just a snapshot and that it has an error of +/-35mg/dL

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Women should not take statins. There is no advantage for them.

vlo1125 is offline Senior Member
    I had mine done 2 weeks into primal and I'm glad i did because these are my "before" numbers. Perhaps 6 months to 1 year in ill have them done again to compare. Only 5 weeks in I wouldn't think those numbers reflect your primal lifestyle but more the SAD that came before it, or am I completely off?

Here are my numbers:
    Cholesterol: 134
    HDL: 64
    LDL: 59
    Triglycerides: 54

My doctor said my numbers were so great that I had a better chance of winning the lottery than developing heart disease. My concern is , like I said , these numbers reflect my pre-primal lifestyle. Now that I'm eating bacon, eggs, butter, and coconut oil are these numbers going to change for the worse? I try not to let CW creep back in but sometimes I wonder.....
    Veronica
    High weight: 255 lbs
    Start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
    Current 5/24/13: 204 lbs
    Goal: Healthy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast