Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not another omg look at my chol thread page 3

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It changes throughout the day anyway. Most cholesterol is in your body cells, not in your bloodstream. I wave my numbers around for CW people to be amazed at, but I truly believe they are more than meaningless, that using them as a number for any meaningful treatment is dangerous. If you're worried about cholesterol, it's because you've been lied to.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jencossy View Post
    Ok...have measured my lipids five weeks into primal. (Sorry I hav no baseline but am a relatively fit healthy 31yr old and am not overweight but have lost 8lbs on primal)

Cholesterol 216.14
    Trig 57.9
    HDL 57.9
    LDL 131.23

I'm a physician so I'm a little disturbed about my chol and LDL. Do I hold out and repeat after another few months? Should I be concerned? Am I doing the right thing?
    First, read Griff's study
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread4723.html

Trig and HDL are duplicates? HDL seems low. But you're in great shape.

Total/HDL: 216.14/57.9 or 3.73 (ideal = 5 or below)
    Trig/HDL: 57.9/57.9 or 1.00 (ideal = 2 or below)
    LDL/HDL: 131.23/57.9 or 0.53 (ideal = 4.3 or below)

Never, never take statins.

You just joined PB forum so I assume you just stated PB. Be aware that PB typically raises your cholesterol numbers for the first 1 - 1.5 months, then lowers them. Don't take another test until you've been on PB 3 months. That should give you a pretty realistic result.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-27-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Jencossy is offline Member
    Thanks cryptocode. I think the trigs were this number. I know they were low anyhow but for some reason didn't write down that figure like I wrote down all the other ones. Will be in work tomorrow so will look at the labs again. Yeah, I'm not going to repeat these until at least the end of June.
    When I think of my diet it now it all unprocessed food. No takeaways, no pizzas and I'm actually still quite good even when I cheat (the odd beer during weekend).

Actually looking at these figures and deducing my trigs from the numbers I did write down...holy s.
    That should mean they're roughly 27. ?!

Oh no...not according to the formula thing

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    At what point would you take statins? What markers would you look at, eg trigs/ HDL-C ratio, and how bad would they have to be for you to take statins? If your TC>250, what should you do about it?
    I would advocate for statins if someone has already had heart attack events. At that point statins decrease yoru all-cause mortality (because you're already so high risk).

But for someone who hasn't already had a heart attack? Never.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    First, read Griff's study
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread4723.html

Trig and HDL are duplicates? HDL seems low. But you're in great shape.

Total/HDL: 216.14/57.9 or 3.73 (ideal = 5 or below)
    Trig/HDL: 57.9/57.9 or 1.00 (ideal = 2 or below)
    LDL/HDL: 131.23/57.9 or 2.27 (ideal = 4.3 or below)

Never, never take statins.

You just joined PB forum so I assume you just stated PB. Be aware that PB typically raises your cholesterol numbers for the first 1 - 1.5 months, then lowers them. Don't take another test until you've been on PB 3 months. That should give you a pretty realistic result.
    +1.

One figure was wrong, so I fixed it (bolded). Basically, all your numbers look fine. Good stuff!

I would expect that as you continue to eat primal your trigs will edge down slightly and your HDL and LDL will go up (but the ratio will not change).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

RenegadeRN is offline Member
    Oh heavens!
    Please don't change a thing, and remember, losing weight puts the contents of the fat cells temporarily into the blood stream, thus throwing numbers off. Don't even recheck these until your weight has stabilized for at least a month.
    On breaking out of the healthcare box..."Box? What box? Take cover, it's gonna get ugly... "

Jeri is offline Member
    I had my cholesterol checked in December.
    TC - 265
    LDL - 170
    HDL - 70
    Trig - 126
    LDL/HDL ratio - 3.8

My doctor prescribed lipitor, I did some research and found several places that stated women shoudl not take statins and I decided not to take them (i did for 5 days only) I followed up with my doctor last week and let her know that I was not taking the lipitor, I also printed out Griffs article with my values put into the equations. My numbers were fiine (don't remember what they were and am at work now so I don't have time to refigure them. She didn't fuss but warned me of the dangers of high cholesterol. I told her about trying to be primal (will admit I am struggling right now) she asked me if Griff was an MD or PHD, no offense to anyone who is but I thought to myself - why don't you think anyone else can research for themselves. She gave me some web sites she wanted me to look at and they were all .gov, or american heart association, I thought to myself again that these are just CW sites. I have read some of the posts everyone has linked to in this forum and am still convienced that I made the right decision. I will have my nubers checked again near the end of July and hopefully will be doing better with primal by then.

I think you're doing the right thing. Normally in uk a doc would suggest diet modification and recheck the results in 3months. It is a major thing to be started on tablets especially if you have no other risk factors. (I'm assuming you don't but don't worry if you do. Stick with low carb plan and see, that's what I'm going to do.)

silas is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well you being the Physician you should tell us if it's ok! lol jk. I think no one needs sky high numbers and if doing enough activity along with i.f I don't know why lower numbers wouldn't be a problem. I wold be concerned over inflammation markers and Atherosclerosis, so a heart scan might be nice,if that's clear wouldn't worry.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast