Thread: Recipes for cancer patient page

FreeBelle is offline Member

Recipes for cancer patient

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

What would be good for a cancer patient going through chemo and radiation?
    They are told to eat low carb because cancer feeds on glucose.

The thing is patient is still in CW mindset where they request lean meats. I believe grassfed beef should be okay, but I don't want to impose any of my eating beliefs on him.

So what would be good primal meal, but also cw friendly?
    Any suggestions? Recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Roary is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about meals but good, nutritious bone broth is, IMO, a must.

Paleobird Guest
    Is he going through chemo? (BTDT. my sympathies) I would do as Roary says and start with some good bone broth. From there you can make all kinds of soups that are easy to digest. It's also easy to slip a little more fat into a soup with some sour cream or coconut cream. Soups go down well even if you don't have much of an appetite.

IronGirl is offline Member
    When I was going through chemo I could only tolerate foods once and then I would get sick of them, so lots of people made me foods using only veggies and protein in large batches, but I couldn't eat the leftovers because it was kind of "one and done." So I'd just recommend really mild foods (not too much seasoning) and lots of variety. My favorites were actually smoothies, such as spinach, blueberries and almond butter, since they were cool and not too flavorful, and you could just sip them until they were gone. More fruit than I would have normally but when you're doing chemo you have to work with healthy foods to try to get things down.

BTW, realizing that cancer EATS sugar was a huge factor in kicking my butt on over to Primal/Paleo. Good luck to your loved one!
    I feed my healthy cells and starve the rest.

Waist circumference:
    50(start)/40.5(current)/35>(goal)

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Grassfed meats should be fine, and if you have to buy at a conventional store, go for Organic meat, and organic everything else as you can afford, because hormones added to meats can encourage cancer growth. And be sure to have him eat lots of vegetables (but cleaned well and cooked/steamed to reduce the chance of microbial disease due to a weakened immune system) - soups are a good idea for pureeingg the veggies. I also believe chamomile tea has anticancer properties: Apigenin flavonoid benefit

However, you don't want to load up on antioxidants too much while undergoing chemo/radiation as those will decrease their effectiveness; you need the radical oxides to kill the cancer cells during the treatment.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    My sister got diagnosed with oral cancer last august and it took that for her to finally try out low carb. I made her things like mashed cauliflower with purred meat mixed in, pureed soups, berry and green greek yogurt smoothies, grain free porridges, bone broths with egg, etc. A properly made bone broth is essential IMO. There are lots of ways to replicate a SAD diet but with healthier natural foods. My sister had (still does for the most part really) the extra challenge of not being able to eat anything unless it was pureed but without that restriction the possibilities are practically endless.

How close you are to the person determines how pushy or obnoxious you can be about this. I was prepared to be as obnoxious as I had to be with my sister but it turns out she was more than willing to try it finally. Funny how a cancer diagnosis does that! It made me more willing to push the issue and it made her more receptive. Ultimately if the patient refuses to eat fattier meats at least lean meats are better than bread. Doing a pubmed search of the lit on the safety of low carb high fat diets might help change their minds too.

FreeBelle is offline Member
    Thank you guys for the responses. I didn't even think of soups and broth. That is very good to know.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When you are on chemo, *everything* feels like a major effort, even cutting up meat and veggies and chewing them can look daunting. But if somebody puts soup in front of you with everything thoroughly cooked and in manageable sized pieces or even pureed, you look at it and think, "Yeah, I can do that".