Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Started lifting but cannot make protein intake, Ideas? page

Hawki is offline Junior Member

Started lifting but cannot make protein intake, Ideas?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello everyone,

At the moment I really struggle with social interaction.. Mostly because of self confidence issues so even posting on a forum is difficult, sorry if I ramble on. I'm hoping once I feel better about my body I'll actually be able to talk to people.

Iíve started the strong lifts 5x5 from being a complete rookie and I have to say its nice to find something that I enjoy doing thats in the gym. I go to the gym early mornings before college and Iím in my second week now.
    Those of you that arenít familiar with it, I do work out A and work out B on either a Monday, Wednesday or Friday.

Work out A
    Squats 5 x 5
    Bench Press 5 x 5
    Barbell row 5 x 5

Work out B
    Squat 5 5 x5
    Overhead press 5 x 5
    Dead lift 5 x 5

I increase the weight by 2.5kg in the next session if I successfully complete all five sets. (Apart from deadlifts which is increased by 5kg each time)

Straight after working out I have a diet whey protein shake (Double chocolate flavour) from Myprotein.com as I really struggle to eat enough food in general, let alone enough protein for the day. I thought this would be a good choice as I would need fibre and I donít eat enough vegetables due to not eating enough. However I have psoriasis and it has really picked up over the last month or so and I believe the oats could be making it worse? Maybe?

While trying to eat wisely I have not been able to shed pounds to make a difference in body composition. I would say Iím currently at 82kg (181lbs), 5í6 tall and around 29% body fat. Iím more concerned with body composition as I know that muscle mass weighs more than fat, however burning fat would be advantageous but itís hard to do that while lifting (From what Iíve been told).

Iím hoping eating the primal way will help me with this but do you have any tips on how I could take in more protein? Obviously eating more is the first step but any recipes or ideas on things that are reasonably quick to make as I donít have time to go home and cook something up before going to college.

Iíve read Markís quick and easy recipe guide and use some of the recipes within the book occasionally. I normally have mincemeat and veg or chicken and veg (The veg mainly being broccoli and carrots) for dinner and sometimes skip lunch as I am not hungry then or Iíve worked the night before and havenít been able to cook anything in time.

My daily routine looks like this unless itís the weekend where I can sleep the whole way during the night. I still go to the gym Tuesdays and Thursdays to spend around 20 minutes rowing in 2 minute splits so 20 mins rowing 20 mins break.

Getting another job is NOT an option due to college, however in the summer it will be easier to sleep.

6:30am Ė wake up
    7:15am Ė work out
    8:15/30am Ė protein shake
    9am to 3pm Ė college
    5:30pm Ė 9pm Ė sleep
    10pm to 2am Ė work
    2:30am Ė 6:30am Ė sleep

So my questions are:

Is rowing Tuesdays and Thursdays as well as weights TOO much for weight loss would press ups and body work be better (I dislike cardio a lot)? On the weekends I pretty much study and maybe go for a walk.

Is there anything I could make for post work out/breakfast that has the same amount of protein as a shake but takes about the same effort or should I keep the whey protein but stick to isolate rather than the oaty stuff?

Should I include carbs like sweet potatoes and white potatoes in my diet on workout days?

What should I do after stronglifts 12 weekís program?

Thank you for your time, sorry about the n00b questions.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You could very well be reacting to the oats.

Eat more meat. Eat larger portions of meat. Cook up a large pot of it on the weekends and pull out a serving when you need it.

Boil eggs so you have them available when you need a snack.

Try eating starchy vegetables and fat to see what works for you.

If you want to "burn fat", you need to accept that the only time you truly burn fat is when you are hungry. Your body runs out of food and starts recycling your fat reserves. Extra points for exercising fasted. Have you tried IF? Check out Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health. It's for people who want to lose fat while gaining muscle mass.

Hawki is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You could very well be reacting to the oats.

Eat more meat. Eat larger portions of meat. Cook up a large pot of it on the weekends and pull out a serving when you need it.

Boil eggs so you have them available when you need a snack.

Try eating starchy vegetables and fat to see what works for you.

If you want to "burn fat", you need to accept that the only time you truly burn fat is when you are hungry. Your body runs out of food and starts recycling your fat reserves. Extra points for exercising fasted. Have you tried IF? Check out Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health. It's for people who want to lose fat while gaining muscle mass.

I've checked out the link on IF however it seems like I'm doing that anyway so I will definitely give that a few more weeks and possibly see some difference. I think Im now concerned with over eating on the good stuff as I really want to shift this weight.

I'm very good at cooking big meals but I have a problem finishing them. I think if I had to eat that amount of meat I would have to carry around 5 pots of cold meat with college and I dont think that would work so I was hoping there may be different things I could make that still pack the same amount of protein-ish.

Is there any way of spicing hard boiled eggs up? I'm not a big fan of eggs but it seems easier to carry around a tub of 5-6 eggs than 5 tubs of turkey or whatever I've cooked up.

Thank you for all your help.

Cwick is offline Junior Member
    Hawki,
    My recommendations:
    (1) Eat upon awakening...this will give you more energy for your workout and put your body in "fat burning mode" because cortisol is high upon awakening.
    (2) I would recommend very little carbs...meat and nuts works wonders for me TRY IT! (4-5oz meat, 30g nuts). Also...have some coffee pre workout, after breakfast, maybe even on your way to the gym.
    (3) Use BCAAs during training
    (4) Eat the same "breakfast" before work
    (5) To hit protein goals it is easiest to eat every 3 hours while awake, decent sized meals w/ animal protein/veggies.
    (6) Stick w/ Isolate!
    (7) You DO NOT NEED carbs on workout days or off days. Your body fat is high...cut them until you get leaner.

I see you are in the UK. Look up Nick Mitchell, hes with Ultimate Performance. BEST TRAINER on your side of the world!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the forum, Hawki.

I'm confused. You say you "really struggle to eat enough food in general" yet you're "... concerned with over eating on the good stuff ". By "good stuff" do you really mean bad stuff? Like non-Primal stuff? If so, cut that out and give your body the best fuel you can get!

So do you feel you are eating too much or too little? I don't understand. If you're really close to 29% body fat (many methods of measuring can be quite inaccurate) and are a guy, you should probably focus on losing some fat first (If you are a girl, you could stand to lose SOME body fat, but don't go too low). DO NOT stop lifting though. You should always be lifting weights or doing some type of resistance training. In a caloric defecit, it will help you maintain muscle mass. In a surplus, it will help you build muscle.

As to your specific questions:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawki View Post
    Is rowing Tuesdays and Thursdays as well as weights TOO much for weight loss would press ups and body work be better (I dislike cardio a lot)? On the weekends I pretty much study and maybe go for a walk.
    No. It is not too much, as long as your rowing isn't super-intense both days. If it is, you might want to make one day easier.
    Is there anything I could make for post work out/breakfast that has the same amount of protein as a shake but takes about the same effort or should I keep the whey protein but stick to isolate rather than the oaty stuff?
    Well, it's hard to beat the convience and ease of "add water and shake". If that is a must, then yes, get some pure whey protein (not necessarily isolate, just something without added ingredients). If you can spare a few extra minutes, do what Katherine said and cook up some hard-boiled eggs and/or extra meat.
    Should I include carbs like sweet potatoes and white potatoes in my diet on workout days?
    I would. I think post-workout carbs are beneficial.

What should I do after stronglifts 12 weekís program?
    I am not familiar with the progression on stronglifts, but if you are getting good results and are able to keep adding weight, I'd say stick with it. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 03-28-2013 at 11:36 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawki View Post
    I'm very good at cooking big meals but I have a problem finishing them. I think if I had to eat that amount of meat I would have to carry around 5 pots of cold meat with college and I dont think that would work so I was hoping there may be different things I could make that still pack the same amount of protein-ish.
    I'm not sure if we're communicating. If you boil a 5 pound roast of beef, when it is cold you cut off some slices and wrap them in plastic wrap. If you steam chicken breast, you slice the meat when it is chilled and put a serving in a baggie. That's what you bring with you, not multiple cauldrons of stew.

Koobs is offline Member
    Just keep lifting heavy and you will soon see big changes in body composition. For an untrained person it could take a few months. I don't know who told you it's hard to lose fat while building muscle. It is only difficult to do that when you are really eating a ton to try and gain muscle mass, it doesn't seem to apply here. Like others have said, ditch the oats. Eat more protein. And eat a lot of healthy fat. Give it time, you will see changes for sure.

Cwick is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Hawki.

I would. I think post-workout carbs are beneficial.
    PWO carbs for someone that is 20+% BF? Horrible advice, whole point of PWO carbs is to restore glycogen and raising insulin to push protein to muscle fiber...at 20% you have PLENTY of glycogen...keep working hard, when you begin to see sig results then you can start to "over think" things...for now eat lean, eat primal, work hard and you will see results

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, no bread, no noodles, no rice, no milk, no fruit. Lots of meat, vegi, eggs and nuts. It's possible to drop 30% body fat to 20% in six weeks on paleo, I know first hand.

Perhaps consider cardio for a couple months to get the body fat down to 20%, then barbell training. But you can go right to barbell and lose fat while gaining muscle.

The main thing is solid nutrition, and it doesn't sound like that is happening. It can be hard to eat right in college. But if you are serious you need to visualize a plan, hit the grocery story on Sunday night, stock up for the week, and stick to a cooking schedule (don't eat out).

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwick View Post
    PWO carbs for someone that is 20+% BF? Horrible advice, whole point of PWO carbs is to restore glycogen and raising insulin to push protein to muscle fiber...at 20% you have PLENTY of glycogen...keep working hard, when you begin to see sig results then you can start to "over think" things...for now eat lean, eat primal, work hard and you will see results
    Just because you're fat doesn't mean you're glycogen-replete. That depends more on how hard you're working out, how long you've been fasting, etc. Martin Berkhan of Leangains has gotten some pretty good results with clients that started out with fairly high bodyfat and I'm almost certain he instructs all his clients to ingest a high-carb, high-protein meal post-workout:
    Client Update | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health
    In particular, check out Brandon, Peter, SB, and Sean.

I'm not saying OP needs to ingest 350g+ carbs per day, but I have seen in myself and others how post-workout carbs are beneficial to building muscle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast