Thread: Poopy poop poop........poop page

ballenparks is offline Junior Member

Poopy poop poop........poop

Shop Now
    Alright guys and gals. I got a question ferya. I lately have gone off my low carb diet and bumped up my carb intake because my results in the gym have been dismal to say the least. I have always eaten cruciferous veggies but have recently started adding sweet potatoes into my diet. About 14 ounces a day. I have noticed that my farts and poos have been horrendous. Everyone loves their own brand but I fear mine may be flagged for toxins by the FDA. I was just wondering if the potatoes are to blame and being a medical student would like to know some scholarly info about how and why they are affecting my bowels. I had sweet taters when I was on a SAD but never had this problem. Not discomforting or anything just smelly and gassy. Thanx!

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ballenparks View Post
    Everyone loves their own brand but I fear mine may be flagged for toxins by the FDA.
    HA!

I'm a few weeks in to reintroducing carbs (sweet and white potatoes, rice) after a looooong time LC, and I am in the same boat as you. I'm just chalking it up to my gut having to readjust to dealing with the starch again after going a long time without and am not too concerned about it. No idea if there's much you can do about it, like taking probiotics or whatnot...I figure my body knows best and it'll sort itself out.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Sweet potatoes aren't cruciferous, regular potatoes are. I don't know how much 14 oz comes out to since I don't weigh food. It could just take some time for your gut to adjust. Your microflora is not used to that kind of starch anymore. Try backing off a bit to see if that helps and reintroduce slowly.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    Regular potatoes are nightshade, not cruciferus.

Verstuurd van mijn ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T met Tapatalk

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by paleodutch View Post
    Regular potatoes are nightshade, not cruciferus.

Verstuurd van mijn ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T met Tapatalk
    Ah, thank you. I got confused about why cruciferous was being brought up and mixed up the terms.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    In me, the SAD diet and the PB diet don't mix, farts, bloat, and pooping changes result. From PB to SAD you're adding a great lot of fiber and glocose. From PB to SAD you're reversing the change. Either does it to me.

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    14oz a day is rather a lot, you should scale that down quite a bit imo. You could try some rice instead; it might be more simple carbs/easier to digest that will help you to start with. Polished rice also won't add any fiber; you may be reacting to a lot more fiber than usual.

ballenparks is offline Junior Member
    Excuse the confusion I wasn't referring to the potatoes as crucifereous I meant a large amount of greens, broccoli,asparagus. That was my point, I ate a lot of leafy veggies not starchy

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    like with fiber supplements, too much fiber of any kind newly added to the diet can cause issues if you don't start off slow.
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA