Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to look for (or avoid) in Coconut Milk page

amandalw1 is offline Junior Member

What to look for (or avoid) in Coconut Milk

Shop Now
    Is there anything specific I should be looking for, or looking to avoid, in canned coconut milk? The ones I can find in my grocery store are Thai Kitchen and Taste of Thai, both about $2.20/can. Then there was one in the ethnic section for about $1.50/can. The first two have ingredients: coconut, water, guar gum. The last one said: coconut extract, water + some preservative I didn't recognise. I bought all three to taste test, and the first two tasted about the same, the last one was so nasty I just threw it out. What brands do you buy and what are the ingredients. Is there a more economical way to get coconut milk? $2.20/can seems pretty steep.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    The only kind I use is the full-fat Thai Kitchen (not their 'lite' crap). Minimal ingredients and no sulphites. The best thing to look for is what comes first, coconut milk or water. All I can say, is you get what you pay for. Inexpensive coconut milk is never a good idea IMO.
    I grok, therefore I am.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I've never tried it myself, but apparently you can make coconut milk from dried coconut. I think the general procedure is to mix it with a small amount of hot water, let it sit, then blend it, then strain it.

jadeocean is offline Member
    I stick to an ingredient list with coconut milk and water. Try to stay away from anything extra their sneaking in there.
    Went Primal: 3/28/2010 - 43 lbs lost!
    Over 15 inches gone!

Primal Journal ~ Jadeocean

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    if you can get to a whole foods, their 365 brand is pretty good. I get the case discount and its about 1.20 a can

MmmFat is offline Senior Member
    Avoid the word 'Lite' LOL I've been careless and made this mistake once or twice

Not sure if this would help, but where are you located? Maybe someone can offer more specific advice if they are in a nearby area...
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." -- Virginia Woolf

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Lite is of no consequence in this context - except that you're paying for more water.

Look for something that has just coconut, water- with or without guar. Guar in this case, is used as an emulsifier to keep the fat in solution and is present in literally minute amounts. Minute.

The very very best coconut milk I have ever had the pleasure to taste, was Wilderness Family Naturals.

It's a powder - essentially just dried ground coconut. I've known of it for 7 years or so but hadn't felt like going through the hassle of ordering it. Finally I tried it at my brothers house - my uberprimal dear brother - sigh....wish he lived closer. Anyhoo, trying it at his house made me a convert.

It does have a small amount of casein (milk protein) to keep the fat emulsified *and* a small amount of maltodextrin. Very small.

But that's a decision each will have to make. I fully realize that making my coconut milk would be the optimal solution. I do have a greenstar juicer...... I could - perhaps should?

Until then, I have to choose between toxic plastic lined cans and maltodextrin

Best to you all
    katherine
    Last edited by cillakat; 10-11-2010 at 10:58 AM.

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    Wow, I wish I'd known about that coconut powder in time to order some before my upcoming trip! It would be great to put it in my coffee while traveling. Thanks for the tip.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    If you are lucky enough, you can also find solid chunks of creamed coconut in the grocery stores. It's kind of in small brick format and you can add water to make it coconut milk or just break off a chunk and eat it as a little snack.
    I grok, therefore I am.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    Chaokoh is the coco milk sold the most widely, besides Taste of Thai and Thai Kitchen. I read about it being bad of late! Here's a link for you: http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/brands.html. My fave is Mae Ploy.
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast