Thread: nutrition info for homemade stock? page

nessa Guest

Primal Fuel

Hi,

I've recently started tracking my foods on fitday. The only problem is, I use a lot of homemade stocks in my cooking and as a snack in and of itself. The closest thing I can find on fitday is something called "chicken broth, without tomato, home recipe", which lists 8.5g carbs per cup. I can't quite figure out how boiling bones (with cartilage and a bit of skin) in water leads to any carbs, so I doubt the accuracy of the rest of the info.

Anyone have any leads on where to get accurate info for homemade stock that is literally boiled bones?

marika Guest

Hi Nessa, I just made some bone broth myself and was desperately trying to find the answer to this question.

The best I could find was to go to an aquarium store and buy water testing strips to find the "hardness" level, which gives you a rough idea of the calcium & magnesium content of your broth.

I simmered my bone broth for 12 hours in a Crock-Pot, and it registered 150mg/L hardness. After 12 more hours, it actually lowered (I didn't stir it very well though) to 75mg/L.

I don't know how to test for fat content or calories though. But it was fun testing it with the strips! Hope that helps!

nessa Guest

that is very interesting, thanks for sharing!

i suppose, i'm just not going to worry about it too much, knowing that i'm getting extra salt, protein, fat, calcium, magnesium and whatever else is leached from the bones. (and knowing that it's made from bones of good, pastured organic chickens and that there aren't any carbs.) i suppose i could cross-reference what is leached from pork or beef bones (they had those listed, for some reason...).

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I don't worry about it. The gelatin compounds are no carbs and no fat. Two amino acids IIRC.

You could refrigerate the stock and scoop off the fat to weigh it, I guess.

As to minerals and whatever else, shrug.

PS, as has been mentioned here, Fitday's database is TERRIBLE! Flat out wrong by several orders of magnitude for many foods. They claim fat in okra and broccoli! Why they just can't use the USDA one is puzzling.

nessa Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

i thought fitday was the recommended site? is there a better one?