Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Detoxification - does it exist? page 3

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Do lemmings also drink soda and poop 5-7 times a day?
    If they did they wouldn't be committing suicide
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I hate the word detox. It ranks up there with cleanse for me. Detoxing is what your body does on a regular basis. That's what your organs, liver, kidneys, etc is for. Unless you ingested a madsibe shit ton of heavy metals and need to clear them out, there is no need for detoxing ever. Your body is fine at clearing out toxins on a daily basis even on a crap SAD diet.
    Actually i would disagree. Most skin disorders, digestive disorders, allergies, etc are caused by a backup of toxins and/or organs not functioning correctly. That would mean that most people are not "detoxing" properly. I think most people will have at least some issues just because of the world we live in. Toxins are literally in everything and our bodies are not adapted for it.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    However, I'm in the process of doing a "re-feeding" where I'm literally drowning myself in nutrients and amazing foods. The weird thing is that as soon as I started, all my nails broke. (This has never happened to me before - no matter how bad my diet has been I always had good nails. It's 11 days in to this refeeding and they are still breaking.) Then I started peeing like a race horse. Then for a few days I had really weird body odour (also never happens to me). Then today I woke up with a cold!
    Sounds like your hormones are doing a variety of interesting things there.

I'm inclined to agree with Hawkward that the 'Bromide detox' is at least possibly an explanation for self-induced iodine overdose. Possibly it's a symptom of Bromide elimination.

Some vitamins and minerals need to be eaten balanced with others (e.g. A/D, O3/O6). So maybe your problem is that you have unbalanced some of your intakes? Is it possible that you are getting too much of some of them? (e.g. Vit A)
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Sounds like your hormones are doing a variety of interesting things there.

I'm inclined to agree with Hawkward that the 'Bromide detox' is at least possibly an explanation for self-induced iodine overdose. Possibly it's a symptom of Bromide elimination.

Some vitamins and minerals need to be eaten balanced with others (e.g. A/D, O3/O6). So maybe your problem is that you have unbalanced some of your intakes? Is it possible that you are getting too much of some of them? (e.g. Vit A)
    Hey MM, I don't get excessive amounts of iodine... I eat shrimp a couple of times a week and occasionally eat sea weed but that's it really!

That's interesting about the balance of vits and mins... The main differences to my diet are that I've normalised an excessive dairy consumption, am eating loads of bone broth, have upped my intake of starch (rice, bananas, potatoes) significantly, and am supplementing Vit D and Calcium. Other than that, I was eating pretty well already - I've just increased the quantity of everything.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Mireia is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skorpion317 View Post
    Your liver does the job of detoxification. Not some BS drink or pill. Eat clean, healthy foods, and your body will do the job on its own.
    Your liver and the rest of your body is loaded with a lot more toxins nowadays. Even if you eat clean and cut out cosmetics now, your liver is still loaded with toxins from way back before you changed your lifestyle.
    A liver loaded with toxins has impaired function and basically does not do a good job at detoxing anymore. This can cause other parts of the body to go out of whack too (often hormones) and then it results in more imbalances.
    At some point your body will just not be functioning as it should.
    Even as you continue to eat and live well. Living in the year 2013, you bet you will be running into toxins at least from air. But possibly also from things like. Ooking utensils, pots and pans, even cooking itself creates some toxins the body needs to be able to handle.
    I did an herbal detox (supplements) when I felt diet was not getting me anywhere and certainly did get benefits from it. I have collected all test results before and after the detox.
    Some want to tell us that herbs are a new thing, but nature medicine has been around for ages and in the middleages to early 1900 we had some great naturopathic knowledge that we lost and replace with chemical drugs nowadays.
    Currently eating strict Paleo, no rice or potatoes. I want to increase carbs and make sure my ratio of carbs, protein and fat is right for me.
    30, 5'5" and 108 lbs (formerly 100 lbs)
    I don't work out but I chase and nurse a toddler all day

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Lemmings don't commit suicide, they migrate. During migration, some die. Seems like organic population control.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Lemmings don't commit suicide, they migrate. During migration, some die. Seems like organic population control.
    My point was they jump off a cliff!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think they're pushed - did you see that one turn around and try to run back? LOL
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123