Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Detoxification - does it exist? page 2

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks for the responses!

I agree that some people can attribute the fatigue etc. that comes from undereating on a "detox" diet to detox "symptoms" whereas they're really just symptoms of under-eating.

However, I'm in the process of doing a "re-feeding" where I'm literally drowning myself in nutrients and amazing foods. The weird thing is that as soon as I started, all my nails broke. (This has never happened to me before - no matter how bad my diet has been I always had good nails. It's 11 days in to this refeeding and they are still breaking.) Then I started peeing like a race horse. Then for a few days I had really weird body odour (also never happens to me). Then today I woke up with a cold!

As I said, I'm not really into the detox whoo-whoo, but... it seems to tick some boxes?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, in these "detox" programs, your body doesn't really do anything different. During autophagy, your cells actively alter some portion of their function. That is to say, autophagy has actual action, while "detox" does nothing.

M.
    Thanks for the clarification!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Detox is another way of saying my diet is making me sick before it makes me healthy, but then the healthy part never comes
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Your nails grow 1/2" a month or so. That means that the part of your nails that is breaking was grown a month ago. How was your diet at that point?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Fasting and drinking lots of fluids helps to get rid of "bad substances" stored in bodyfat and other tissues so I guess it could be called "detoxication" in some sense...

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Your nails grow 1/2" a month or so. That means that the part of your nails that is breaking was grown a month ago. How was your diet at that point?
    It was still pretty good but I've improved it since. It's the actual quality of the nail that's changed - they've become softer, and are splitting the whole way down. As I said, they've been like this for about ten days or more.

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Detox is another way of saying my diet is making me sick before it makes me healthy, but then the healthy part never comes
    Well if that's the case then...

- Ray Peat

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Well, I was more referring to the buzzword for detox. You could very well be breaking off weaker nails to make way for stronger ones assuming that you're eating a lot of collagen, biotin, and improving your thyroid with macronutrients and micronutrients. Also, I've gotten a cold a few times lately it's pissing me off.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Do lemmings also drink soda and poop 5-7 times a day?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I hate the word detox. It ranks up there with cleanse for me. Detoxing is what your body does on a regular basis. That's what your organs, liver, kidneys, etc is for. Unless you ingested a madsibe shit ton of heavy metals and need to clear them out, there is no need for detoxing ever. Your body is fine at clearing out toxins on a daily basis even on a crap SAD diet.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast