Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What am I missing out on? page

gunnerbee is offline Junior Member

What am I missing out on?

Has anyone seen a comparison of the nutrients in grains and where I can get them from other sources? I have this nagging fear that I'm going to miss out on something important. I mean, its hard to reset my mind on how grains can be so unnecessary and in fact, bad for you.
    My mom talked to a nutritionist who was "horrified" over the no dairy and no grains. I do actually drink milk kefir daily and we also have whole fat milk though I rarely care to drink it.
    Anyway, I would love to see a side by side if you know what I mean? Might ease some of my concern about it.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Google something like "nutritional info for wheat" or "calories in wheat" (or whatever grain you're interested in). Should get you what you want. Or, find a food tracker you like, and input the foods you want to compare.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Fantazmic is offline Member
    Gary Taubes Why we get fat has an excellent section on the food Value of wheat

Loren Cordain The Paleo Answer an excellent book that talks about body inflamation and the foods that should be avoided and a very good section on grains and the food value of grains.

Wheat Belly by William davis gives an excellent outline on why we should not eat wheat. Wheat Belly has a website as well just google wheat belly

Search this site and I am sure you will find lots of info as well

The more you read the more freaked out you will be regarding grains and just how bad they are for us...in terms of gene expression and auto immune disorders...

Hope this helps

Elizabeth

There is just so much conflicting information out there. Its really making me nuts. One minute - I'm like ok- this makes sense- I'm losing weight, less IBS symptoms, less cravings, etc. Then I'm like ok- I am not eating enough fiber, too much fat, my cholesterol is going to go crazy, I'm going to "make" myself allergic to gluten randomly..... etc etc

Some people advocate lean proteins while others are basically mainlining fats...Some people say fish oil is a very well studied supplement and is good to take, others say its crazy unstable, don't take any supplements, etc.

Sigh. The thing is, I don't even *want* to eat grains, really, but I am fearful that I "need" them.

I really need some peace of mind and I'm just not there yet.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbee View Post
    There is just so much conflicting information out there. Its really making me nuts. One minute - I'm like ok- this makes sense- I'm losing weight, less IBS symptoms, less cravings, etc. Then I'm like ok- I am not eating enough fiber, too much fat, my cholesterol is going to go crazy, I'm going to "make" myself allergic to gluten randomly..... etc etc

Some people advocate lean proteins while others are basically mainlining fats...Some people say fish oil is a very well studied supplement and is good to take, others say its crazy unstable, don't take any supplements, etc.

Sigh. The thing is, I don't even *want* to eat grains, really, but I am fearful that I "need" them.

I really need some peace of mind and I'm just not there yet.
    The problem is that you're listening to your body, but discounting the signals you are hearing based on what you hear from people who don't know you, some of whom stand to make a great deal of money providing us with misinformation.

Give it a chance.

Good insight eKatherine. I need to just give it some time, quiet this anxiety over it and see how it goes.

Also- I have a follow-up scheduled w/ my dr at the end of April- what blood tests should I be asking for? It seems that the conventional basic lipid panel might not be all that useful.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Good insight eKatherine. I need to just give it some time, quiet this anxiety over it and see how it goes.

Also- I have a follow-up scheduled w/ my dr at the end of April- what blood tests should I be asking for? It seems that the conventional basic lipid panel might not be all that useful.
    There's something I can't help you with. I haven't been to see a doctor since I can't remember when.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I like the "starts with food" book. It sounds less Paleo/Primal to the outside world LOL. and they go into a lot of studies and info in the book. The Grain Manifesto | Whole9 | Let us change your life.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    exhale.

you feel health improvements, yes? you're your own n~1. do some reading and get informed. simple. don't take anything on blind faith.

ever notice nobody worried about "enough fiber" in the past? it's all marketing from big ag to make people buy cereal and bread.

as for nutritionists? i am horrified at 90% of the advice they give. like lots of fruits and whole grains for diabetics.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wheat, by itself, has next to zero nutritional value. Bread/wheat is enriched by man made processes. You can get all you need from a nice varied primal/paleo diet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast