Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Difference between "Primal" and "Weston A Price Foundation"?? page 3

patski is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    This is probably a dumb question, but here goes: if one is gluten-intolerant, is sourdough bread an issue? Fermenting doesn't break down the gluten, as much as it breaks down phytic acid...is that correct?

I'd love to eat some sourdough bread once in a while
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    This is probably a dumb question, but here goes: if one is gluten-intolerant, is sourdough bread an issue? Fermenting doesn't break down the gluten, as much as it breaks down phytic acid...is that correct?

I am gluten-intolerant. I would never eat any sort of wheat or rye bread. The idea that normal fermentation of the dough eliminates the gluten and its by-products that cause immuno reactions borders on wishful thinking. I have never seen any convincing evidence that it is safe for gluten-intolerant people to eat.

What would I need to see? Test results showing that consistently these products pass the <20ppm test.

Weston Price observed a lot of things in the 30s or so. That's what called observational. It should point to more paths to research, not be taken as some sort of gospel. They didn't even have a clear idea what caused gluten intolerance back then.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 03-29-2013 at 08:53 AM.

wiltondeportes Guest

You could eat a few pieces of toast with breakfast, and it probably wouldn't kill you.

otzi Guest

Prior to primal, I thought I had arthritis. My finger joints would ache and hip would feel like it was going out regularly. That all went away with primal for nearly 3 years now. If I have bread of any kind more than like a slice's worth, the arthritis comes back. I have tried sourdough, sprouted, and others, but if it's made with wheat flour, I get joint flares.

If nothing like that happens to you, you can probably enjoy as much bread as you like--experiment with different kinds, that's what PB is all about--finding the best eating habits for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    You could eat a few pieces of toast with breakfast, and it probably wouldn't kill you.
    That's the standard? Whether it kills you right away? Why even bother eating a healthy diet?

Hint: people who are gluten intolerant can experience all sorts of irreversible health problems caused by continuing to eat gluten, even if they are unaware they are intolerant.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    That's the standard? Whether it kills you right away? Why even bother eating a healthy diet?

Hint: people who are gluten intolerant can experience all sorts of irreversible health problems caused by continuing to eat gluten, even if they are unaware they are intolerant.
    I'm gluten-intolerant. Every once in a while, I have had some pizza or bread to see if things have changed, and they never have! I know that I can't eat too much gluten without getting mucus in my throat and nose along with the immediate indigestion. However, I've had a couple pieces of sourdough toast on occasion without problem.

Whether the toast kills her or not isn't the standard. She said she wanted some bread, so that was the way I advised her to go about it. If she decides she doesn't want to eat the bread because it is unhealthy, then she will not eat any at all. I'm not one to play games with this guilt of 'what's healthy, what's not' that people get caught up in. Either decide you WANT to do it, and eat it. Or decide you DON'T want to do it because it's unhealthy, and don't do it, AND don't feel subconsciously like you still want to have some.

Don't wage an internal war of willpower. Your habits and desires will quickly align in the healthiest, most satisfying way if you allow them to anyways. I eat mostly Paleo/Primal/WAPF because I WANT to, because of how it makes me feel, not because I'm doing it for a goal that I HAVE to do.

Don't wage an internal war of willpower. Your habits and desires will quickly align in the healthiest, most satisfying way if you allow them to anyways. I eat mostly Paleo/Primal/WAPF because I WANT to, because of how it makes me feel, not because I'm doing it for a goal that I HAVE to do.
    I'm not "waging an internal war of willpower". I have been gluten-free and healthier for it for a decade.

I want to grow old to see my as-yet-unborn grandchildren grow up, and people who try to convince me and others who are gluten intolerant that it's not important can just mind their own business. They don't have my best interests at heart.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I'm not "waging an internal war of willpower". I have been gluten-free and healthier for it for a decade.

I want to grow old to see my as-yet-unborn grandchildren grow up, and people who try to convince me and others who are gluten intolerant that it's not important can just mind their own business. They don't have my best interests at heart.
    I am gluten intolerant as well, and a piece of bread is not going to keep me from seeing my kids grow old. You're being a bit drastic.

I am gluten intolerant as well, and a piece of bread is not going to keep me from seeing my kids grow old. You're being a bit drastic.
    You have no idea what "gluten intolerance" is. None whatever. It is not a matter of a bit of excess mucus once in a while.

Paleobird Guest
    She does have a point there, Wilton. Gluten intolerance is not an either you are/are not thing. It's a spectrum. Yours sounds relatively mild. Some people have serious reactions to just a little cornstarch in a sauce.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast