Thread: To look good naked, can you just "randomly" lift heavy things? page

fcby9 is offline Senior Member

To look good naked, can you just "randomly" lift heavy things?

Shop Now
    There are plenty of step-by-step guides as to what to do in the gym, but I wonder, if a woman's goal is simply a "lean" physique ( la Jennifer Lawrence in "Silver Lining Playbook"), could she simply do the Primal Essential Movements and kettlebell swings, and do some HIIT a few times a week? It's not like I'm worried about "bulking up," but rather that I don't really have interest cultivating a weight-lifting routine.

Or, would you argue that having at least somewhat of a structured strength-gaining regime is necessary to leaning out, coupled with HIIT?

I'm a 6'0 tall female, almost 19-year-old currently eating pretty low carb (50-70/day), and I'd like to lose around 30 lbs (slightly overweight by BMI measurement). I have an athletic build, but I definitely don't want to become skinny-fat, even if I were to lose that weight. I must say Jennifer Lawrence has the athletic, lean look that I'm striving for:

Jennifer Lawrence Workout Routine Diet Plan - Healthy Celeb
    (Scroll down just a bit to see)

Thanks so much, Primal veterans!

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Our ancestors didn't get strong and lean by doing structured routines. At least very few did. Mark just says lift heavy things some times. And "routine" tends to be the enemy of progress. I am not at all an expert but I think you are doing fine.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    Our ancestors didn't have structured routines, but they got strong and fit because their everyday lives were tough - hunting, sprinting, building shelters, lots of walking, etc. Modern life requires none of that to survive. A structured routine helps modern people fit physical activity into their everyday lives. Can you have completely unstructured "workouts" today, and get the same results as Grok? Sure, if you have the time. If you have a busy schedule, going with a workout routine might be a better idea. Do what's best for you and your own personal situation.

You're a 19 year old. You're probably in school or working 30-40 hours a week, right? The rest of your time is probably relatively free. An unstructured workout system could work for you. I'm 28, I work 80 hours a week, and have a toddler at home and another baby on the way. A structured routine works for me, because I have relatively limited time.
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I think you'd have to do a fair amount of research to figure out how to fit together something that gives you the equivalent of a structured program. By that point it would be structured.

I just have equipment around the house, and I do a set or two as it suits me. Or bodyweight. Or walk.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have kind of wondered something similar. I was someone who was following a structured weight lifting routine. I made progress each time and I was gaining strength, but I think the weights did get too heavy for my true abilities. I was always teetering at the edge of my maximum capability and eventually hurt myself. This doesn't seem natural or healthy.

In real life we'd just be working hard. Our work would be manageable. It would build us strong, lean bodies. I'm thinking about like if you lived on a farm all the work you might do. Or if you were a primitive person hunting and gathering. You'd always cut the work into manageable pieces, but to get more done you'd try to cut the work into the optimum sized pieces.

Reminds me of the trail work I sometimes do. It's way easier for me to cut the biggest branches I can and toss bigger branches over the side of the trail than smaller ones that require more cuts and more bending, stooping and tossing. I try to build strength but it's always manageable, not teetering at the edge of my capabilities. Always enough I can put in a few hours of it. Always with the aim of getting more done in less time and effort. But never with the goal of cutting down a huge tree and trying to throw that over the trail. In fact, if I did cut a huge tree I'd use an appropriate tool (cross-cut saw) and the tree would be cut in such a way as to fall over the side of the trail by its own momentum. This is why I think trying to get so strong you could toss a whole tree is not really necessary for a healthy, fit body.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    What does this have to do with our ancestors? The simple fact is, you will have to try it and see. What works for some, doesn't for others. Celebrities have personal trainers,chefs and tons of time to workout; it's part of their job. Honestly, no, you can't just do this and that and lift heavy here and there and expect to look like Jennifer Lawrence. A structured/measurable approach is advised. Once you start getting down to your setpoint and wish to go lower (bodyfat), it may require a more structured diet.

Another thing, a lot of those celebrity workouts are BS. They do a lot more than that and usually are chemically enhanced (on the male side).
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

MrVigilante is offline Junior Member
    A well-designed, structured routine is always the way to go in my opinion because:

-you will avoid creating any imbalances by over or underworking muscles
    -you have a way to measure and define progress; if you are not getting the results you want, you can look at (or have somebody else look at) what you're doing and find where adjustments can be made or different approaches can be applied. As every body is different, this is important to avoiding frustration long term.
    -you make the most efficient use of your time, regardless of how hectic/open your schedule is

Resistance training is physically teaching your body to become stronger/leaner. When will learning something, whether by body or mind, be done best: when there is a progressive, structured approach, or a random assortment of topics with little relation to what comes before/after?

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    OP: It is possible. I have had a very random workout "routine" in the last 15 months of being primal. Some yoga, some trail running, some kettlebells, some PEMs, a few sprints, some HIIT. But very sporadic and random. I did what sounded fun. I think it depends on your body and your personality, but this works for me. I lost 25-30 lbs (depending on the day and time of day) and am currently pretty much at maintenance weight and 15%ish body fat, just playing, having fun, doing what I love.
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.