Thread: NPR Story on Paleo page

Nate is offline Junior Member

NPR Story on Paleo

http://www.wbur.org/2010/05/05/going-paleo

"Naisteter and Rosenberg are part of an international fitness and nutrition movement known as “ancestral health.” The theory is that while the food humans eat has evolved and gone “high-tech” through the ages, our bodies have not. Primal eating is pre-agricultural. “Going Paleo” means no processed foods, no sugar, no whole grains, legumes or dairy. But they eat lots of meat. Naisteter gave me a tour of their fridge."

...Because, they say, eating Paleo has drastically improved their health. No more eczema, allergies, acne or stomach issues. Even so, dietitian and Boston University Professor Joan Salge-Blake is a Paleo skeptic — saying that was then, this is now."

Meggilizz is offline Senior Member
    Wow
    “We should all be going back,” he says. “I don’t think we have to go all the way back. Let’s go back to grandma, and how grandma cooked, and she made dinner and she had fruits and vegetables and she had more grains and there was less sweets and treats.”
    That doesn't really give any scientific reasoning there, Professor.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    http://www.wbur.org/2010/05/05/going-paleo
    ...Because, they say, eating Paleo has drastically improved their health. No more eczema, allergies, acne or stomach issues. Even so, dietitian and Boston University Professor Joan Salge-Blake is a Paleo skeptic — saying that was then, this is now."
    I can't stand these dietitians. What exactly about the human organism has changed in the last 200 years since the advent of much of the food products and additives we now eat? What exactly about the human organism has changed in the last 10,000 years since the advent of agriculture? What the hell does "that was then, this is now mean? Our cells don't care that we have an uber-advanced technological environment. People like her need get over this superior modern human crap and realize we are fundamentally cave people with cars and I-phones.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    I can't stand these dietitians.
    I'd have to agree. It's really painful to listen to the nonsense that's spewed from the ADA. The evidence clearly indicates that better blood sugar control occurs with a low carb diet. Better blood sugar control means less complications over the life of the diabetic person.

The ADA, in spite of the evidence, continues to *literally* prescribe dietary management in oposition to the evidence based on the belief that it's impossible to stick to such a strict diet.

Painful. Embarassing. Ridiculous. Shameful.

Nate is offline Junior Member

Update

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you're in eastern Mass this morning, the story should be playing a little before 7 am and then again before 8 or 9 am.