Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Primal - tough time ditching the carbs/sugars page 2

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Good old healthy eating includes a lot of grain as fill.
    Magnolia, have you gone to the dark side?
    I should have said CW (eating grains as fill). Primal healthy replaces that filler with fruits, veggies and meats...nutritious fill.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

krsn89 is offline Member
    Hi Candiceena! It will be difficult at first, so you're not alone! I went cold turkey and I think that's the best way to do it, just because you're cutting it off right away. I found it hard to "wean" myself off of it. When my boyfriend went Primal he tried to do it slowly but just decided to go cold turkey, because he found that he kept wanting MORE. IME, it's easier to just get rid of it entirely from your diet rather than having small amounts here and there and wanting more. It was hard at first, especially because I live with people who eat typical SAD fare (and have no intention of changing that) so it's not like I could throw/donate all the crap food. I don't remember if Mark talks about this in the PB since it's been a while since I've read it, but have a look at this article: Is Wheat Addictive? | Mark's Daily Apple. It talks about how wheat can have addictive properties. I've also read about that topic in Wheat Belly and it makes a lot of sense.

I think that as long as you keep eating better foods and seeing how good your body feels as a result, you'll be less likely to have cravings or be tempted by bad foods. I live in a house where there's always toast/baguettes/pasta/cakes and I could care less because I know if I eat those foods, I'll feel like total crap. It WILL get easier! If you enjoy those workouts, I don't see any reason for you to stop them either.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I should have said CW (eating grains as fill). Primal healthy replaces that filler with fruits, veggies and meats...nutritious fill.
    Oh, thank goodness! I thought we'd lost you.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a fat hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Get rid of all sugar, grains, cherry coke, and anything you might find you enjoy eating at all. If you replace all of these with copious amounts of rabbit food and slabs of meat, and force yourself to eat them every meal, eventually your cravings will subside. For a while though, you will struggle. You will avoid social gatherings, contemplate not going to Disney World because of a lack of primal food, etc; Food will become your #1 concern. You will be miserable, but that's okay, your health is more important than your happiness.

Good luck friend. Don't worry about the carb flu. That's just your body detoxing all the horrible icky nastiness of the carbs as you adjust to becoming a Fat Burning Beast

Oh, btw, everything will be okay because you can eat BACON!!

Last edited by Derpamix; 03-27-2013 at 06:53 AM.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Get rid of all sugar, grains, cherry coke, and anything you might find you enjoy eating at all. If you replace all of these with copious amounts of rabbit food and slabs of meat, and force yourself to eat them every meal, eventually your cravings will subside. For a while though, you will struggle. You will avoid social gatherings, contemplate not going to Disney World because of a lack of primal food, etc; Food will become your #1 concern. You will be miserable, but that's okay, your health is more important than your happiness.

Good luck friend. Don't worry about the carb flu. That's just your body detoxing all the horrible icky nastiness of the carbs as you adjust to becoming a Fat Burning Beast

Oh, btw, everything will be okay because you can eat BACON!!
    Gosh, I had no idea Cherry Coke was a food. In fact, I just recently learned that I no longer had to fear finding a rat in the bottom of a can of Mountain Dew, because the company claims the rat would be dissolved by the product by the time it got consumed.

I very much don't feel deprived. But I'm not of the fast food generation. This is more like my childhood. A protein, some veggie, and a starch. You know, back in the days when obesity in this country was about 10% and your beloved Coke came in 7 oz bottles?

I lived in FL for about seven years. Never went to Disney World. Had been to Disney Land in CA and saw no reason to repeat the experience. It had nothing to do with Primal/Paleo, and everything to do with mind numbing entertainment. Let's see, tickets for a Stevie Wonder concert (with money left over for a really nice dinner) or a day in the hot son with a big stuffed rodent? Tough choice.

And much like the butter exaggerations made by some, I don't know if most people here are eating big slabs of meat and copious amounts of rabbit food. But then again I'm not living the Cherry Coke dream.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a fat hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Gosh, I had no idea Cherry Coke was a food. In fact, I just recently learned that I no longer had to fear finding a rat in the bottom of a can of Mountain Dew, because the company claims the rat would be dissolved by the product by the time it got consumed.

I very much don't feel deprived. But I'm not of the fast food generation. This is more like my childhood. A protein, some veggie, and a starch. You know, back in the days when obesity in this country was about 10% and your beloved Coke came in 7 oz bottles?

I lived in FL for about seven years. Never went to Disney World. Had been to Disney Land in CA and saw no reason to repeat the experience. It had nothing to do with Primal/Paleo, and everything to do with mind numbing entertainment. Let's see, tickets for a Stevie Wonder concert (with money left over for a really nice dinner) or a day in the hot son with a big stuffed rodent? Tough choice.

And much like the butter exaggerations made by some, I don't know if most people here are eating big slabs of meat and copious amounts of rabbit food. But then again I'm not living the Cherry Coke dream.
    Why would you fear a rat? Didn't paleolithic humans eat small game that included rats? If anything, Pepsi Co. saved you some hunting trouble.

The Coke I drink now is only 5oz more, it's ok. My grandparents used to have to force me to eat vegetables, I think you should probably listen to yourself as a kid while making some obvious logical adjustments. I find I'm much happier when I eat all the safe sweet stuff I want rather than pretending I actually like vegetables because of some health halo.

No idea how you can say this about the happiest place on Earth, but maybe try going with other people? Nothing beats taking a date to Disneyland. Of course, maybe if you're older all the rowdy teens and kids might annoy you or something.

I'm sure they are.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I used to make the best cherry coke. A glass of regular coke with a shot of kirsch. Real cherry.

Derp, I think if you saw my fridge/freezer, you'd find I'm no veggie freak. I didn't like greens as a kid, but I do now. Children's taste buds are different from adults. I didn't like eggs or liver as a child either. Fell in love with eggs as a teen, tasted chopped liver as a teen, and that changed. I would feel very limited if I only ate things that tasted good when I was a child - especially since Mom primarily cooked/used about five varieties of animal: pork, beef, chicken, canned salmon, canned tuna. We did have squid at Christmas.

The way I eat concentrates much more on protein than most people here. But that's just me. I feel no compulsion to tell the keto people they're wrong. No reason to tell the higher carb people (only higher than primal, not higher than CW) that they're wrong. Simply because my way is my way, not everyone's. But Coke pushers, sugar and grain pushers, etc., I mean I don't really care about them until they post in a way that might discourage a newbie looking for help.

B*tch-lite

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    As a kid I absolutely hated olives; but I had only been exposed to the nasty canned black type. As an adult my friend got some good green olives off of an olive bar at a gourmet grocery store once, and those were fantastic, so I now love olives and can even stand the nasty canned black ones now too.

For carb cravings, when you get the pang you can put in your mouth a piece of 100% chocolate (Ghirardelli, Premium Baking Bar, Unsweetened Chocolate, 4 oz (113 g) - iHerb.com), suck on that, wait 20 minutes and see if you still feel the need for sugar. This chocolate has no carbs, and is bitter but not so bad you can't eat it straight, and mostly fat. But chocolate has a lot of compounds in it that act as neurotransmitters to stop the sugar craving (Chocolate on the Brain). So it could be able to kill the craving for zero carb input. It's also far healthier than sugarized chocolate products, and the fat may help satisfy also.

It will also take some time to downregulate your currently overstimulated sugar receptors; lessening sugar, and giving it up even just for a day will help a lot. Going without is really hard but just lessening intake is good. Over time going without will help to curb the cravings, and natural whole foods (like carrots) will start to taste a lot sweeter. If you do need a sweetness fix, I love stevia; it is zero calories and natural, put it in any drinks.
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

miata is online now Senior Member

Focus on tasty primal foods -- and don't look back

I don't know if I'm especially flexible, but it was easy for me to go from SAD to vegan cold turkey and then to go low carb/high fat meat primal. I just focus more on the new stuff that I get to eat and don't think about "what I'm giving up."

I picked up a bunch of nice veggie dishes when I was vegan that I still enjoy today -- ratatouille, green smoothies, dark chocolate, coconut milk kefir, nuts, brussel sprouts, etc.

Now that I am primal I love soft boiled eggs, lamb curries, bulletproof coffee, butter on everything, hollandaise sauce, liver and onions, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast