Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eating Indian Food and staying Primal page 3

Terry H is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You might also look for Indian simmering sauces at the local store or health food store. I cook up diced meat and set aside. I then grind up Mixed vegetables to a rice-like consistency(sometimes cauliflower as mentioned above) and simmer them first in the sauce for about 20 minutes and then add the meat back in for about 10 minutes. Easy and delicious. Seeds of Change is one brand that I use. Check closely the ingredients to make sure you agree with the contents. Good luck.
    Last edited by Terry H; 03-28-2013 at 05:04 AM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Pastes and simmer sauces are processed food and should be last resort. Get authentic recipes and give them a go. Honestly, most curries and not at all hard. The biggest hurdle is getting the collection of spices. Some patience is required as the start of most curries is basically making the paste from scratch (with a healthy fat like ghee or coconut oil), browning the meat, then adding a few other ingredients and cooking slowly for two or three hours (less for chicken, much less for fish). Your patience will be rewarded with something of uncompromised healthfulness and superior flavour. As ye sow, so shall ye reap
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    Personally, if you treat yourself to a curry, try not to worry about that stuff, but eat slowly and try to detect fullness before you eat too much of it. That way, you'll savour it more, and at the same time eat less if it does have bad stuff like corn starch/wheatflour etc.. But I'd suggest making your own. It's far more satisfying knowing that you made something healthy which is identical in taste to something at a restaurant. I say that having made a chicken Korma last night, with prospect of breaking my fast with leftovers!! oh yes..

jnicholas is offline Junior Member
    I love indian food but I'm also skeptical of the quality of ingredients at the restaurants. Most of the ready to use simmer sauces, such as Seeds of Change mentioned above, have canola oil and similar problematic ingredients.

Recently I found the brand Gourmantra. I got the butter chicken and it's a kit with just the spices, tomato sauce and non-gmo rice and you use your own oil so you can do it right with ghee. It's gluten free so no flour thickeners. You can order it from amazon but I found it at a local grocery.

Chanda is offline Member
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I found a couple of different Primal recipes for butter chicken, and I'm going to try to make it at home (that way I can have it whenever I want, haha!) If I have good results, maybe I'll branch out and try making some curries and chicken korma.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have to disagree that pre-made curry pastes are "processed food". If you read the label it will be mostly spices and oil. Hardly any different than buying spices and oil separately, only you don't have to figure out what the heck asafatida is, nor do you have to buy a big $10 container of it only to use 1/8 teaspoon.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Chanda is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnicholas View Post
    I love indian food but I'm also skeptical of the quality of ingredients at the restaurants. Most of the ready to use simmer sauces, such as Seeds of Change mentioned above, have canola oil and similar problematic ingredients.

Recently I found the brand Gourmantra. I got the butter chicken and it's a kit with just the spices, tomato sauce and non-gmo rice and you use your own oil so you can do it right with ghee. It's gluten free so no flour thickeners. You can order it from amazon but I found it at a local grocery.
    Thank you so much for this! I looked for this on Amazon, read reviews and found a really good deal on a pack of three. I'll try it and see how it goes.

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I have to disagree that pre-made curry pastes are "processed food". If you read the label it will be mostly spices and oil. Hardly any different than buying spices and oil separately, only you don't have to figure out what the heck asafatida is, nor do you have to buy a big $10 container of it only to use 1/8 teaspoon.
    Well you're one of the lucky ones then because in Britain at least, I have yet to find any ready-made curry sauce/spice mix that now doesn't include sugar or other unneccessary ingredients. I have no problems with making my own obviously, but it seems like convenience didn't make it to Britain!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123